Main Menu

Rebel's Fix Thread

Started by rebelyell, June 04, 2017, 09:49:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

You can clean the spark plugs and reuse them. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Bullitt-

I'll mention this as it reminds me of a couple of ignition problems I've encountered.
Both vehicles started & idled fine & even ran ok under light acceleration but would pop n had low power under heavier load.   The '91 Dakota had something wrong with the distributor according to the shop that repaired it, my '98 GT needed it's 18-year old plug wires replaced....  Also had an issue with my '73 of a similar nature that turned out to be a wonky ballast resistor but it would die & was hard to start. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

rebelyell

Thought I'd update.

Put the new Holley up for sale. Tuned it and tuned it until both idle mixture screws were 1/8 turn from all the way in. Still fouled plugs. So I put the old carb back on and am going to run it as is until I can get the funds to do a 6.1 hemi swap. At least I can drive it now.

I tried cleaning the plugs. Even burned the ends with a torch. Just didn't trust it. Put in new plugs and it ran fine on the few trips I've taken it on.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: rebelyell on June 28, 2020, 02:57:02 PM
Thought I'd update.

Put the new Holley up for sale. Tuned it and tuned it until both idle mixture screws were 1/8 turn from all the way in. Still fouled plugs. So I put the old carb back on and am going to run it as is until I can get the funds to do a 6.1 hemi swap. At least I can drive it now.

I tried cleaning the plugs. Even burned the ends with a torch. Just didn't trust it. Put in new plugs and it ran fine on the few trips I've taken it on.

Did you ever try changing out (down sizing) the primary jets on the Holley, or was adjusting the idle mixture screws the extent of your tuning?

rebelyell

Mixture screws is the extent of my know how. And that was a reach.

cuda hunter

It's fairly simple to change out the main jets on the holley.  I'm sure some of us here can guide you through it. There are only 5 screws to remove to get to that main jet. 
I'm sure that would help change what's happening. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

rebelyell

Thanks guys. I'd have to go down to a 68 or 70. And at $9/a set, plus plugs if I foul them again..

I'm a little sick of tuning it. The headers make swapping plugs a pain and I'd need a wideband to do it right.

I'll have all the money saved up for a hemi swap in a year. Rather cruise and enjoy it now while the weather is nice. Might deal with it again over winter.

Next up is a call to MAD electrical so I can upgrade the wiring and start installing supporting hemi mods. Mainly move the battery to the trunk, install the electric fuel pump/new tank, and dakota digital gauges for fun..maybe AC. I don't trust the factory charging system to handle all of that.

DeathProofCuda

I don't know the specifics on your combo, but would guess that the primary jets on a Holley 750 are too big for what you need.  Holleys are generally set up rich right out of the box, which makes sense.  Its better for them to err on the rich side than to burn things up running too lean.  You are correct though, a wide band meter makes the process a whole lot easier.

rebelyell

It's just a 413 short block, 440 heads and a edelbrock performer RPM intake. Comp cams little beefier than stock cam. Absolutely nothing special. I'm afraid to even floor it.

I don't doubt that the jets are too big, but I don't want to put any more money into that engine unless I absolutely have to. I'd rather sell that carb and use that money to pay for the new wiring and some of the gas tank.