Main Menu

1970 V-code Cuda for sale

Started by HP_Cuda, March 30, 2017, 01:50:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Culvers

Quote from: Shakerdon on July 27, 2017, 12:33:55 PM
Does anyone know the whereabouts of JS23V0B100019? I used to own it. I bought it from the original owners back in '89-'90. I sold it in 2000. I lost track of it after Barrett Jackson auction in 2003. Just wondering where it is now.
Maybe ask "cudaized" Ola Nilson
Link with photos: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=65103.60

Cuda Cody

Still a super rare and cool early production car.  Do you have any photos back when you owned it?

Quote from: Shakerdon on July 27, 2017, 01:02:28 PM
I didn't own the Cuda. I owned JS23V0B1000019, '70 Challenger R/T 440 six pack pilot car. Sorry for the confusion.

Shakerdon

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Shakerdon

Here are some pictures of it back in 1990. The last time I saw a picture of the car was when it was for sale at the Barrett Jackson Auction in Phoenix in 2003 (I think). The owner had added the hood stripe and rocker moldings to it. I'm a purist, and think that they should have left it the way it was built. But that's just me. The car had some unique things about it. I knew the original owner, who bought it with a few thousand miles on it from a Dodge dealer in New York back in 1970. The unique things I'm going to mention were already on the car when he purchased it. It had a circular metal plate covering an antenna hole in the right quarter panel (ala T/A Challenger). The plate was tacked in from inside the trunk, and was filled in, and painted. I don't know if the factory had done this, or the dealership he bought it from did it. Another thing was the seams inside the door openings were filled in smooth. Normally, you can see the lip of the quarter panel as it folds into the door jamb opening. This car was seamless. It made for a very clean appearance when you opened the door. The body tag was coded with Y91, which meant "show car finish". I don't know if the seamless door jambs was part of the show car finish or not. I often wondered if this car had maybe been used at the 1970 New York auto show. Maybe it was just coincidental that the car ended up at a Dodge dealer's lot in New York. I was never able to find any photos of the Dodge exhibit from that show, to see if it was shown there.     

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

cataclysm80

Quote from: Shakerdon on July 29, 2017, 01:50:31 PM
The car had some unique things about it. I knew the original owner, who bought it with a few thousand miles on it from a Dodge dealer in New York back in 1970. The unique things I'm going to mention were already on the car when he purchased it.   It had a circular metal plate covering an antenna hole in the right quarter panel (ala T/A Challenger). The plate was tacked in from inside the trunk, and was filled in, and painted. I don't know if the factory had done this, or the dealership he bought it from did it. Another thing was the seams inside the door openings were filled in smooth. Normally, you can see the lip of the quarter panel as it folds into the door jamb opening. This car was seamless. It made for a very clean appearance when you opened the door. The body tag was coded with Y91, which meant "show car finish". I don't know if the seamless door jambs was part of the show car finish or not. I often wondered if this car had maybe been used at the 1970 New York auto show. Maybe it was just coincidental that the car ended up at a Dodge dealer's lot in New York. I was never able to find any photos of the Dodge exhibit from that show, to see if it was shown there.   

That's very interesting for such an early built car (VIN #19) to have a T/A antenna hole before it was sold new. (regardless of who filled the hole before that first sale)
You said that it had a few thousand miles on it already when it was sold new in 1970.  Any idea what month it was sold in 1970?
Was the tail panel blackout shown in your pictures also on the car when it sold new?
I can't help but notice that the car is yellow with a black vinyl top, flip top fuel cap, and front bumperettes like the car used in the T/A advertising.

Cuda Cody

@Shakerdon  that's a neat story.  Do you remember if the tail panel was black when you got it or was that added at some point?

Shakerdon

My friend's dad purchased the car from Westfield Dodge City in Westfield, New York on October 14
1970. $3673.00!

The black tail panel was already on the car when he purchased it. I can't find my paperwork, but I seem to remember it had around 5000 miles on it when he bought it. If you're thinking that this car may have been used for the TA ad, I don't know if Dodge would have swapped a hood,wheels, and stripes ( maybe airbrushed in the photo), and 1971 grille. The hood on my car did have "job 164" written on the two scoops, so if they would have swapped hoods, they put the correct hood back on.
Interesting thought, though.     

cataclysm80

Thanks for the extra info.   October seems like far to early for any T/A photoshoots anyway.  From what I understand, there weren't any T/A hoods yet back that far.

The yellow 71 T/A advertisement is actually the same car that's in the black and white 70 T/A advertisement, they just airbrushed the 71 grill onto the photo and released the color version instead of black and white.
I'm not sure how good their photo editing skills were back then, but it looks like they did a good job to me.
I would think it would have been considerably more difficult to edit on a hood, spoiler, exhaust, and stripes though.  Probably didn't happen.

Still, it's interesting that the car had a rear antenna hole and tail panel blackout.

the_cuda_guy

Quote from: cataclysm80 on August 06, 2017, 08:50:41 PM
Thanks for the extra info.   October seems like far to early for any T/A photoshoots anyway.  From what I understand, there weren't any T/A hoods yet back that far.

The yellow 71 T/A advertisement is actually the same car that's in the black and white 70 T/A advertisement, they just airbrushed the 71 grill onto the photo and released the color version instead of black and white.
I'm not sure how good their photo editing skills were back then, but it looks like they did a good job to me.
I would think it would have been considerably more difficult to edit on a hood, spoiler, exhaust, and stripes though.  Probably didn't happen.

Still, it's interesting that the car had a rear antenna hole and tail panel blackout.

I read a story back in 1989 or 1990 in MM or MCG (I think it was MM) about a lime green hemi challenger that was ordered with the TA hood.  The hoods were on back order and when the car came in to the dealer it had the RT hood on it.  It was specifically noted in the article that the car also had the antenna on the rear like a TA.  It stood out to me because when I was 12 years old I had no idea that the TA and other challengers had different locations for the antenna.

Don 
Member Since 29 January 2017

6bblgt

Quote from: the_cuda_guy on September 05, 2017, 10:29:59 PM
I read a story back in 1989 or 1990 in MM or MCG (I think it was MM) about a lime green hemi challenger that was ordered with the TA hood.  The hoods were on back order and when the car came in to the dealer it had the RT hood on it.  It was specifically noted in the article that the car also had the antenna on the rear like a TA.  It stood out to me because when I was 12 years old I had no idea that the TA and other challengers had different locations for the antenna.

Don

does this story/article sound familiar to anyone?  would like to narrow it down a bit & find the magazine  :twothumbsup:

fc7cuda

Hmm, I have the mags...I'll see if I can assist this weekend.  :fingerscrossed:

z76232

Ebay ad says it was bid to $40k and then the seller ended the ad and said it was sold. :dunno:

1badfish