Main Menu

70 Challenger Ragtop - Nice Price

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, June 11, 2020, 07:11:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

I posted this car to the "WTB slant six" thread when the car was listed  on a different  auto marketplace (Auta-buy?).
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70 Challenger Lover

I've tried to keep mine original since picking it up last year and people do appreciate the standard original look. It's funny to think though that if I slapped on a performance hood, stripes and spoiler, it would actually go up in value.

71vert340

Quote from: JH27N0B on June 12, 2020, 08:51:15 AM
At some point, you've seen so many clones, resto mods and restored high end cars, that seeing something like this is really special. 
I wouldn't be surprised if there are more E Bodies with shaker hoods in existence now than E bodies with flat hoods.  :thinking:

I hope the individual that gets this /6 convertible fixes it up and leaves the car in it's original configuration. I've had two /6 Challengers, a 70 and a 72 . Both were manual 3 speeds and I enjoyed driving them. As far as shaker e-bodies, there are way more now than I ever saw attending big shows in the 80s and 90s. There was usually my 71 and a friends 70 R/T  440-6 in plum out of Missoula Montana and usually a couple of Cudas were the only shaker cars at Seattle and Portland shows. At MCACN 2018, I was surprised at the number of shaker cars there. Oh well. To tell the truth, I've thought about selling mine lately. It hasn't been out of my yard in 2 years. I pull it out of the shop to clean it and that's about it. Sad.
Terry

Ricomondo

Good googly moogly!! :woohoo:

Oh man I love /6's!!!

Had one a few years back and wish I still had it.

If I didn't have my TA I'd be on this like flies on s***!
And I'd leave it just like it is, just detail the crap outta it.

70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

318Stroker

Brings back memories of my 70 SE slanty, houndstooth, auto with console, factory A/C.

70 Challenger Lover

Bids are at $27,600 but it still has not hit the reserve. Surprised these cheap buyers didn't select the buy it now price of $33,000. The reserve is probably around 30k and soon the buy it now option will disappear. I'm going to laugh if the bids actually exceed the original buy it now price.

ragtopdodge

Kinda cool, but would you keep it as is if you owned it?

Nope.

It's not an RT so I say...have at it.  Resto-mod the hell out of it.

You can reverse practically everything, so why not?

JS29

JH27N0B

Back when I bought my car, I had an intention to put a "raisin bran" hood on it, thankfully I didn't get around to it!
The joy of convertibles is driving with the top down, not putting the hammer down, hardtops are much better for dealing with the torque in heavy acceleration anyway.
I'm a stick guy but when it comes to shopping for a convertible, I wouldn't even turn down a car with a column shift whereas all my other cars, even my daily drivers have sticks.
So any engine works for me when the top goes down!

RUNCHARGER

Yes: A few years ago I wouldn't have been able to drive a car like that but things have changed. If you want something really fast buy a new car as it's pretty hard to modify an old car to keep up with a new one in speed, acceleration, braking and handling. Unless you go all out any mods you do will fall short. So, to me a car like this is great for a nice, slow, Sunday cruise with the family. Old cars are about nostalgia and the way things were at one time.
Sheldon

LoStHeMi

this one.... i'd leave alone....  nice

70 Challenger Lover

On mine, which has the puny single exhaust and stock muffler, it's super quiet going down the road. To my surprise, it seems much quieter with the top down. Top up and I hear the top frame squeak and lots of wind whistling. Down, and everything is so quiet you can have normal conversations on the freeway. I'd never want to trade that away for a bigger engine, open air cleaners, bigger fans, louder exhaust, etc.

Fortunately, I'm building a hardtop to provide all the performance the ragtop doesn't provide.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on June 12, 2020, 01:07:22 PM
Bids are at $27,600 but it still has not hit the reserve. Surprised these cheap buyers didn't select the buy it now price of $33,000. The reserve is probably around 30k and soon the buy it now option will disappear. I'm going to laugh if the bids actually exceed the original buy it now price.

Well the bidding is now at $33k and of course the buy it now option at $33k is one longer available. Still has five days to go. I hope the dummy who refused to hit the buy it now button pays a few extra grand for his/her cheapness.

There have been a few threads on why Europeans are willing to pay so much for classic cars. I contend they aren't spendy but rather Americans are simply cheap by comparison. That car was a smoking price at $33k and should have sold on day one.

challengermaniac

Quote from: anlauto on June 12, 2020, 08:20:02 AM
I'm kinda on the other side of the fence...this is a cool original car, yet pretty boring... :dunno:
Clones are kind of "yesterday's news" with the whole "Resto-mod" or "Pro-Touring" craze that's happening.... If one can't leave it alone, I personally would rather see a car like this, a lowly slant six bare bones car, be used for something like that rather then an original big block R/T convertible or something... :o

I almost cried when I was hired to finish this "Resto-mod" project....the car looks great, but the owner destroyed an original JS27N0B car to build it with four link suspension, tubular front suspension, coil overs etc... :crying:

I understand your point regarding this NOB Resto-mod, although must admit the I love it! 
Are those 17" or 18" Rallye Wheels?
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

soundcontrol

Quote from: anlauto on June 12, 2020, 08:20:02 AM

I almost cried when I was hired to finish this "Resto-mod" project....the car looks great, but the owner destroyed an original JS27N0B car to build it with four link suspension, tubular front suspension, coil overs etc... :crying:

Damn..., too bad, thats what the G-codes are for. If I had a real R/T I would go original.
Love the slant six, learned to drive in a -64 Valiant.