Main Menu

Right price on a 70 Challenger project

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, August 27, 2019, 04:44:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/711147605992564/

Doesn't look like too bad a starting point for a project and the price seems pretty reasonable.

7E-Bodies

Fairly solid shell if he'd entertain reasonable offers.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

70 Challenger Lover

Car is still for sale. I decided the fender tag and it looks like an interesting car. Western Sport Special - 1 of 381 WSS with the 383 engine. Now it has a 440 but it looks clean. Burnt orange in and out with a white vinyl top. One of the few color combos where I actually like a white top.

As far as condition, definitely rough and needing a full restoration but rust seems very minimal. Only can be seen around the rear window which is to be expected for all unrestored cars like this these days.

In Las Vegas and he's asking $12,500. I'm sure a flash of cash could get that price down a bit.

aussiemark

I'd rather put up the extra coin (you will spend a lot more on the other one to get it to this stage anyway) and get this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-Challenger/153624241243?hash=item23c4b7e45b:g:Z7QAAOSwBJxdYHA7

70 Challenger Lover

I do like the white one but it's hardly fair to compare the two when you're talking projects. If value is the determining factor then it is always best to buy a car that is 100% correctly restored since it costs huge sums of money to correctly restore any car. The white car is twice the asking price of the other one so it's reasonable to expect it to be in much nicer condition. But if we are talking about getting the most for your money, then for twice the price of the white car, you can find a beautifully and correctly restored numbers matching four speed RT car so that's definitely the better way to go if you have the money.

The white car is a straight six and converting it over to a big block will cost a bit too. And when you're done, you still have a boring white clone. The burnt orange car is a Western Sport Special and an original and unusual big block as well which appeals to some people. Granted it needs work but the car is complete and it's getting harder and harder to find restorable projects that are worth owning for under 10k anymore. There are quite a few folks out there that would love to enter the car market with the white car but simply don't have that kind of money lying around so they buy a 10k project knowing it will cost more in the long run but at least they can spread the costs out over years.

7E-Bodies

:alan2cents: JMO, but I personally cringe when a beautiful /6 gets butchered over to a big block clone. It means an original piece of history is wiped away. My first of 9 E Bodies was a gold /6 and I had some great times and memories in that car. I wish clone projects were reserved for cars with missing 318 engines. Just me.

JS29

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on September 02, 2019, 05:45:04 AM
:alan2cents: JMO, but I personally cringe when a beautiful /6 gets butchered over to a big block clone. It means an original piece of history is wiped away. My first of 9 E Bodies was a gold /6 and I had some great times and memories in that car. I wish clone projects were reserved for cars with missing 318 engines. Just me.
And me! I would touch up what needed to be and enjoy it as for what it is. don't get me wrong, I love going through the gears in my car and opining up the four barrels, but it would be nice to pass a gas pump once in a while. 

7E-Bodies

Bingo...same here. I really have to bite my tongue when someone pulls an original drivetrain from a 70 or 71 E to satisfy testosterone issues. For me, that's what already gutted cars are for. When the originals are gone, all we have is pictures and lore. I'm coming up with an RT now that has some options I don't care for (the standard gas cap in chrome, go figure, no rear spoiler, and body side moldings, and driver side only chrome sport mirror), but I'm dedicated to bringing her back exactly to build sheet specs. Yesterday I got a call from an acquaintance regarding an unadvertised driver quality, survivor B5 or B7 all original 440 4 speed barned up 20 miles from me that an overwhelmed college kid just inherited and doesn't care much for (imagine). He simply wants someone that'd bring his dad's car back the way he'd have wanted it. A viewing is being set up and if I wind up with it, it'll go back original as well. Supposed to be very solid and original and can be started. SAVE THESE BEASTS IN ORIGINAL FORMAT.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

aussiemark

That's exactly my thoughts when you consider the low number of these cars when new and how many still exist today, I bet if you took it to a show it would get more looks then a Hemi clone would. I would leave it alone just do what needs to be done to make it reliable and safe to drive and just enjoy this rare E body as is.

7E-Bodies

I know a lot of guys that feel this way, but they keep quiet for fear of the stoning they'll take over backing originality. Again, for me, cloning is for cars that already have been robbed or blown up.

70 Challenger Lover

I like unmodified originals too and I'm not suggesting the white car should be cloned but there's a good chance someone would. They made quite a few six cylinder cars and most have been cloned. It's a nice car at a great price, been up for sale before yet no one is scooping it up so while people may appreciate it, it's not so much they are willing to buy it.

My 70 Barracuda convertible was in the same boat with it's 318 engine and flat hood. Until I came along, the owner had been trying for years to sell it. Granted it wasn't the killer price but the condition was up there in my opinion yet no one seemed to want it.

I was only trying to highlight the WSS car which I thought was interesting and worth saving.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on September 02, 2019, 08:05:08 AMan RT now that has some options I don't care for (the standard gas cap in chrome,

The standard gas cap in chrome was never factory installed, it was a dealer replacement part so when you misplaced the original painted cap you could get away without having the replacement cap painted...

7E-Bodies

Very interesting on the gas cap. Hadn't dig into that too much yet since the previous owner handed over a paintable one as well.

1 Wild R/T

Well, good news, your biggest concern is no concern at all... :bradsthumb: