Main Menu

71 Barracuda convertible

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, February 08, 2019, 01:23:51 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

The public seams to agree with you and haggerty!   :welcome: to the best E-body sight on the internet @Playmor71 from central New York.   :wave:

Cuda Cody

Welcome @Playmor71   :welcome: 

I think if the seller had some good photos that people would get more serious about it.  4 small photos is not helping him at all.  It might be a fair deal if you see it in person and make him a fair offer.

RUNCHARGER

I think in today's market if it's nice that it would sell at $40k. I'm no expert of course. It really needs to be presented better.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

I had this conversation at the other site just a few short years ago. Everyone seemed to think then that a perfectly restored numbers matching 71 Cuda in 340 four speed was worth no more than 35k. I said then that if someone could point me to one I'd buy it. All I ever got was "there are out there just gotta go find it." Needless to say, I never have found one anywhere close to that price.

Granted this car is not an actual Cuda, nor does it have a great engine, transmission, color, etc but it is a convertible and I'd have to argue that pretty much offsets the other options. Haggerty is wrong on so much so often. When I sold my Bee for 30k, that site said it was barely a 24k car. I've seen a hundred other examples that don't come close to haggerty estimates.

So why isn't this one selling? It doesn't help that he has zero feedback and not even other items listed. That looks sketchy alone. His description is terrible and the lack of photos is really unacceptable when you are appealing to a 50k buyer. The restoration is older so maybe it's tired again, leaking oil everywhere from neglect, tires cracking, that sort of thing. My experience on eBay has been that limited ad and photos mean the seller doesn't want you to look too hard.

All that said, I agree that you'd have to see it in person and some good haggling might get you a better deal. If I was past my cross country move, I'd be making a trip to go check it out. I think it's a nice looking car. The 71s are getting impossible to get into and a convertible is just that much harder unless you are wealthy.

anlauto

There was a "fad" not to long ago that had people taking 71 Cuda convertibles and dropping in Hemis to make clones. I think it started because a couple of clones sold at auction for LOTS of money.  That drove the price of every 1971 Barracuda/Cuda convertible up.
That fad is over, but the price has really not come down. People tend to forget that the 1971 Cuda is and will always be a hot ticket, they're not coming down in price anytime soon.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: anlauto on February 09, 2019, 08:34:45 AM
There was a "fad" not to long ago that had people taking 71 Cuda convertibles and dropping in Hemis to make clones. I think it started because a couple of clones sold at auction for LOTS of money.  That drove the price of every 1971 Barracuda/Cuda convertible up.
That fad is over, but the price has really not come down. People tend to forget that the 1971 Cuda is and will always be a hot ticket, they're not coming down in price anytime soon.

I completely agree. One other thing, every trashed rusted out Barracuda project car we've seen over the past couple years has either sold for 20k or not hit the reserve in an auction in that 20k region. If a piece of rusty basket case trash sells for 20k plus, a restored convertible is certainly worth 51k.

I am really close to reaching out to this seller but I'm afraid it will be everything I want and then I'll have a fourth car to drag across country. If someone would just go buy this car, they'd be doing me a huge favor!

Playmor71

That what it said in the Hagerty value too....  I'm not putting down the car, just interested in knowing the current value before making an offer and wondering of the current market is reflected in the Haggerty valuation tool as it professes that it does........and it sounds like it is.    The seller not having any feedback on eBay hurts too.   I've messaged him, but no reply.   I suppose it could be a scammer too!

Playmor71

Playmor71

I don't disagree, but as mentioned by someone else..... not many photos, no feedback on Ebay and I've sent a message to the seller that has gone unanswered so far....so..... sure cannot book airline tickets to go look at something under these conditions....lol   

Playmor71

I sent a message to the seller, but so far no reply.

Crocha617

The price on this one has been lowered. I'm pretty sure this one was closer to $60k last time. I think it's getting very close to a selling price. There are very few 71 barracuda convertibles available. I know of 2 that have recently changed hands at around $45k.   Both were drivers but had rust bubbles down low and needed minor work. Another friend bought a rough project one  for $25k with a good amount of rust, a missing drive train and other parts. I think besides the color this one is priced pretty fairly for the condition. I've been offered $45k for mine and it needs lower quarters and a drivetrain swap.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Crocha617 on February 09, 2019, 03:12:18 PM
The price on this one has been lowered. I'm pretty sure this one was closer to $60k last time. I think it's getting very close to a selling price. There are very few 71 barracuda convertibles available. I know of 2 that have recently changed hands at around $45k.   Both were drivers but had rust bubbles down low and needed minor work. Another friend bought a rough project one  for $25k with a good amount of rust, a missing drive train and other parts. I think besides the color this one is priced pretty fairly for the condition. I've been offered $45k for mine and it needs lower quarters and a drivetrain swap.

I'd put the value higher than 51k simply because he makes it sound like it's an older professional restoration and in need of zero work. You've been offered 45k for yours which needs work and I'd fancy a guess that if you were interested in selling, you could have easily got him up to 50k. 45k was an offhand offer by a guy trying to gauge your reaction. The four photos shown in the ad look pretty nice.

As far as going out there, you couldn't if you wanted without talking to him to make arrangements and getting an address. If he's a flake, that and his weak ad will make it hard to sell. If he's a scammer, he'd intentionally set the price super low hoping to get a victim. No scammer would set a price at or above market price.

As far as haggerty, I think they have a good valuation tool for cars like Mustangs and camaros of which they made bajillions. Hard to value cars that hardly ever change hands. The other two change hands every 15 seconds. And I also think soft markets hurt values on cars like mustangs and camaros. 71 barracudas and Cudas are very unique in the car world because they are extremely limited and one of the most sought after muscle cars of all times. A soft economy might have fewer buyers wanting to buy a car but those who want to buy understand they are going to have to pony up big money.

When it comes to super rare and desirable cars like the 71, buyers may be fewer and some may even insist on paying less during lean economic times but sellers never come down in price unless they are desperate. The result is the cars don't sell for less, they just don't sell. Generally speaking of course, they're always exceptions here and there.

@Playmor71 I wouldn't move a muscle until that guy gets back to you. It does sound fishy. You need to have a long conversation on the phone and only then would I go out there. Nice thing is it's buy it now so if you like the car, he takes it off eBay and you go to the bank and finalize a deal. If it's legit though and the car is as nice as it seems, that's a great deal. Assuming you like the color. Not my favorite but I do like it.

ragtopdodge

Ya, not sure what I was thinking when I sold my 1 of 87, 383-auto, 2-fender tag, #s matching, A21, B5 car for $40k a few years ago.

:(

Crocha617

Quote from: ragtopdodge on February 20, 2019, 03:45:20 PM
Ya, not sure what I was thinking when I sold my 1 of 87, 383-auto, 2-fender tag, #s matching, A21, B5 car for $40k a few years ago.

I should've bought that one. Still kicking myself for missing it.

anlauto

Quote from: ragtopdodge on February 20, 2019, 03:45:20 PM

I like that at the time too...always thought it was a lot of money, but now it sounds cheap compared to what's out there :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration