Main Menu

71 cuda convertible at Mecum

Started by JH27N0B, January 02, 2024, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

Mecum Kissimmee started this week, and this cuda is crossing the stage toward the end.
What are everyone's guesses as to what the high bid will be?
https://www.mecum.com/lots/1109045/1971-plymouth-cuda-convertible/?aa_id=539417-0

Mr Cuda

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-plymouth-cuda-convertible
I can never get mecum listings to open,  so a link to BaT which go on forever.  And a picture!

RUNCHARGER

Was that the faker built in Quebec 20 or so years ago?
Sheldon

Mr Cuda

I don't think so. That had a low vin from the thread I read.
 I've been looking for a blue 383convert 4spd, the one that got away in 1982. Still haven't found it

JH27N0B

I thought the faker was a 318 pilot car someone took liberties with the VIN to create a fictional pilot cuda convertible instead of the pilot Barracuda convertible it was born as?
This one is a late build, so a different car.
The BAT listing gives a lot of further insight into the car than you get from a Mecum listing.  It apparently has a number of added options like the rubber bumpers, billboards and rally dash.
From that aspect BAT listings are better than the big in person auctions, as the cars do get crowd vetted in a sense. As a guy who keeps an eye peeled for another car to buy someday, and who has attended many auctions over the years, I still haven't figured out how to be confident a car at an auction is OK to buy.
Well given that the car is nice but not without flaws my guesstimate is that it bids to $175,000 "bid goes on".

Mr Cuda

I guess I'm lucky that I never need to buy another car. I can just drag one out and finish it.
 My days of desiring a hemi are over.
 They always eluded me. Finding one locally, without traveling. (Pre internet)
 Now, price is an issue

JH27N0B

I'm fortunate in that I have several great cars, so I don't really "need" another car. But that being said, there are some cars on my bucket list and if the right car/right opportunity comes along I'm ready to pounce.
I find it near impossible to find a buyer when I want to sell, and find the right car when I want to buy.  But that doesn't stop me from dreaming!
If I was a magician I'd turn my V code into a convertible, though I'm focused on a Coronet R/T if that magic wand appeared.  Don't worry though my fellow E body brethren, the keys to my Challenger convertible aren't leaving my hands until the day I take my dirt nap! :andyangel:

Mr Cuda

Hey, I'm a caveman. Don't watch tv or know how to track auctions.  Is this up this week at mecum?
 Curious how it does with the black car competition

JH27N0B

Quote from: Mr Cuda on January 08, 2024, 04:22:55 PMHey, I'm a caveman. Don't watch tv or know how to track auctions.  Is this up this week at mecum?
 Curious how it does with the black car competition
Doesn't run until Sunday.
I wouldn't think that to be a prime day, last day of the auction most buyers likely already bought a car and headed home?

cuda hunter

You old guys!  Yal drive me nuts.  I dream of finding any JRUV car, even in a rusty beat to death condition.   :drooling: Oh, a hemi.  :drooling:  :drooling: 
These prices are ridiculous.  I can't even imagine buying a simple old barracuda for 1000 bucks or less like all the stories I have heard from back when they were "just cars".
I am happy however, to own a few Barracuda's, simple as they may be.
There has to be a jruv out in a field somewhere that I can bump across.  Moved around with a fork lift, driven over on the corner by a combine and used for shelter by small animals for years.  One day, one day.   

Quote from: Mr Cuda on January 02, 2024, 05:50:57 PMI can just drag one out and finish it.
 My days of desiring a hemi are over.

You just have to drag two or three out and trade up for an R car.  It doesn't have to elude you.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

For posterity.

That interior is beautiful!!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Cuda

This needs to get posted here.

JH27N0B

Today at 03:52:42 PM
Well yet another B5 71 cuda 383 vert went cheap this time today. $137,500.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/1109045/1971-plymouth-cuda-convertible/?aa_id=539417-0

YYZ

Quote from: JH27N0B on January 02, 2024, 05:37:54 PMI thought the faker was a 318 pilot car someone took liberties with the VIN to create a fictional pilot cuda convertible instead of the pilot Barracuda convertible it was born as?

The faker was an early production BH27L1B car which was turned into a BS27N1B car after a couple of VIN edits. Conveniently, since it still had the original 383/727, it remained 'numbers matching'

cuda hunter

Quote from: YYZ on January 14, 2024, 05:36:31 PM
Quote from: JH27N0B on January 02, 2024, 05:37:54 PMI thought the faker was a 318 pilot car someone took liberties with the VIN to create a fictional pilot cuda convertible instead of the pilot Barracuda convertible it was born as?

The faker was an early production BH27L1B car which was turned into a BS27N1B car after a couple of VIN edits. Conveniently, since it still had the original 383/727, it remained 'numbers matching'

A total faker.
Is there any original fender tag pics out there somewhere?  Curious.
Did the vin sequence remain the same after the H mysteriously turned into an S?