Main Menu

WANTED: 1970 barracuda with M46 option

Started by cuda hunter, February 01, 2017, 08:56:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on February 20, 2019, 09:33:01 AM
..... I was looking over my broadcast sheet and found what appears to be the M46 code on my Challenger but maybe in the dodge line M46 means something else? .....

during late September early October of '69 - a number of '69 broadcast sheet forms ended up on the assembly line - the layout is different & your "M46" is actually "L76" (heater controls lamp)

@70 Challenger Lover post (or email: dhead68@hotmail.com) your full sheet & I'll straighten it out

anlauto

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on February 20, 2019, 09:33:01 AM
Great thread but was it ever established that the option was only available on Cudas but not Challengers? I was looking over my broadcast sheet and found what appears to be the M46 code on my Challenger but maybe in the dodge line M46 means something else?

My car did not have them when I bought it but there were lots of little changes to the car by previous owners over the years. I've never noticed these scoops on e body cars before but now that I'm seeing them, I really like them.

Did you notice that you F Series 1970 Challenger Broadcast Information was printed on the wrong E Series 1969 paper sheet ?

The "6" you are referring to likely lines up with something totally different when printed on the correct year Broadcast Sheet. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70 Challenger Lover

I did notice that the sheet was 1969. My car was an earlier production 70 car so I guess it makes sense they would use up the old forms. I was using the decoder in here and quite a few things didn't quite line up for the 70 template for decoding. When I saw the m46 on there, it really piqued my curiosity. That makes sense that it didn't have them. The paint is original and I saw no evidence that holes were ever filled and painted over.

I need to talk Cody into building a 1969 decoder. There are a bunch of codes on my sheet that I'm having trouble lining up and doing it manually isn't working either.

70 Challenger Lover

@6bblgt  emailed the build sheet. Thanks for looking it over!

dodj

From the info from this thread, it is a pair of non-functional scoops? Wonder how much the M46 option cost. They look kinda cool, but obviously not a popular option.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

6bblgt

M46 was a $35.80 OPTION - which seems like a good value for the scoops/stripes/black paint  :dunno:

I think it was a styling progression from the "sporty" packages from prior years, but was quickly forgotten after the introduction of the E-body 'cudas

cuda hunter

Was that 35.80 cost for the 70 option?

Any chance you know what the actual part number is for the scoops? 

I have to say on the 69 it really helped the look.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6pack

It looks like if you got that option the gill moldings won't fit.  I'd rather the gills.  Most people would think they were home made custom jobs attached.  Now I know to look for them at swap meets.

anlauto

Quote from: 6pack on February 20, 2019, 03:58:06 PM
It looks like if you got that option the gill moldings won't fit.  I'd rather the gills.  Most people would think they were home made custom jobs attached.  Now I know to look for them at swap meets.

These scoops were NOT available on a Cuda were they ? Only Barracuda, while the rocker "gill" moldings were standard on the Cuda and Not available on the Barracuda. So really it wouldn't matter.

70 Challenger Lover

@6bblgt  thanks a bunch for adjusting my build sheet to the 70 version. I used the decoder and it all came out perfect. I won't be doing a concours restoration but it's neat to see all the little things someone checked off when the order was placed back in 69.

cuda hunter

Quote from: anlauto on February 20, 2019, 04:09:01 PM
Quote from: 6pack on February 20, 2019, 03:58:06 PM

These scoops were NOT available on a Cuda were they ? Only Barracuda, while the rocker "gill" moldings were standard on the Cuda and Not available on the Barracuda. So really it wouldn't matter.

Correct.  Not available on Cuda or Gran Coupe as they both had very specific rocker moldings.  70 barracuda did not have a rocker molding so the scoops worked well on that platform.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

This M46 has surfaced again.  Unfortunately the new owner does not have a build sheet or the tag.  Same as the last owner.
And it's gonna have the stripes and what not erased and car turned into a custom car.

anlauto

dodj

Quote from: cuda hunter on February 20, 2019, 01:03:11 PM
Was that 35.80 cost for the 70 option?

Any chance you know what the actual part number is for the scoops? 

I have to say on the 69 it really helped the look.
Put a pair on your 'winged' 'cuda!
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill