Main Menu

WANTED: 1970 barracuda with M46 option

Started by cuda hunter, February 01, 2017, 08:56:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mr Lee

Quote from: cuda hunter on March 02, 2022, 07:34:10 PM
How very interesting.  A metal drivers side and an aluminum passengers side. 

How can you tell that one is aluminum from that picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

cuda hunter

@Mr Lee  In some ways, due to looking at fuzzy pics on the internet I am making an educated guess.

The left, or drivers side has rust on the metal that is encapsulated by the elastomeric rubber.
The right, passengers side has zero rust.  Not even corrosion.  That is how most of the aluminum backed ones look.  No corrosion.

I've yet to see a metal backed scoop that doesn't have some type of rust forming on it. 

Of course, it would be nice to have confirmation about what material they are backed with.  @Mr Cuda  :popcorn:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Mr Cuda

This just in....
One steel,  one aluminum.  I might even wash them and put a new picture on.  The are still dirty from taking them off 40 years ago.

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Ricomondo

@cuda hunter - hey a guy just posted one M46 scoop on E bodies Facebook page at 10:25 CST. No price listed. Not sure if you're looking for more scoops?
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

Rich G.

His name is Gary Thomas if you can't find it.

cuda hunter

Thanks guys!  I just saw this ad now.  Much appreciated! 
I sent a pm to the guy for the scoop.

However, there are two other people on there that have mentioned they know of M46's.  One of which is a convertible.  I am trying to get any info from those fellas about the other M46's.  Especially the vert! 

krazy931

Mr Cuda

In talking to the m46 scoop hunter,  we decided I should put down all my recollections of m46 cars from the neighborhood here.
As previously stated,  I bought mine in the winter of 79 as a project for auto body trade school.
I immediately realized it was an odd barracuda,  and not just that it was a manual. Mine had already suffered a horrible repaint,  over the black bottom AND the stripe tape separating body and bottom black.
As was standard practice,  looking for parts as there was no aftermarket,  I found 2 m46 cars. One being put together as a Cuda,  a 383-2  4 spd in purple,  and an orange  318 4spd, that was already stripped, scoops gone,  on the way to the crusher. I bought the damaged fender,  header panel,  and hump from that car and fixed them.
From then it was several years before I saw another,  a red 318 4 spd  with rubber front bumper,  on a car lot for $2500!!!!. That was alot for a 318 car in 84'. I actually went and looked at it,  it was very nice.
Then nothing  for 20-30 years till this guy (cudahunter)started posting about the illusive m46.
Common wisdom of the day was that it was a package car, several graphics,  no performance,  to drive sales. 
And since the were all built in LA,  a car like the California special mustang, looks, no performance.
I had never seen an automatic m46, so I  assumed they all were manual.  I wonder what the split was?
And were they all made in L A?

198D13

Your recollections are wanting. A 383+2 motor was only available with an automatic transmission. There are zero cars with that motor and a standard transmission, in an E Body.

anlauto

Was there any 383-2bbls with the standard 3spd manual ?  just curious  :clueless:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

198D13

None. Automatic ONLY, period. That is the only choice, or no choice, if you know what i mean.
If you really wanted a 383+2 manual transmission equipped car, you'd be looking at a 1969 C Body, like a New Yorker, etc, the base model was a 383+2 with column shift manual! D12 on the fender tag. And that was the only manual trans you could get on that car, all others were automatics.

cuda hunter

Currently, on the list, https://forum.e-bodies.org/vin-fender-tag-build-sheet-and-date-codes/13/the-m46-list/16415/msg279898#msg279898 there are 11 that were built in L.A. and 14 Hamtramck cars.

Of those documentable cars on the list,  there are

3-L codes
8-N codes
15 G codes

Of those L codes, 2 are D32's         and I can't find my info on            #17.   bh23LOB128722 fy1 x9 919
                                              apparently I need to learn to organize.

198D13

L31 M21 M46 R11 Y05 EN1
FY1 A01 B51 C16 C55 G36
FY1 H6X9 000 919 015950
E61 D32 BH23 L0B 128722

There is also one made on 910 and one on 821, both Detroit, the 821 is a convertible, both are D32 cars, because they come no other way.

cuda hunter

That makes 4 L codes with D32.

Thanks for posting that.  I found where I have the info but do not have a picture of the tag. 
Received the info from a previous owner of the car. 

Happen to have any photos of this one?  BH23L0B128722