Main Menu

1971 Cuda billboard installation

Started by Shoooter, July 20, 2021, 08:32:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

Hello,

Does someone have up close pictures of a billboard that is in tallest.  Mime are going to be installed in the new few days and the installer isn't sure.

Does the rear spot behind the marker light line up with where the bumper indent is?

Is the gap from the top of the billboard the same size as the gap between the bottom and the wheel well?

We put the up to see how they fit and that's how we figured it would be.

They were ordered from dales Cuda shop.

Any info and pictures would be appreciated.  I have the picture from the manual but it's not the best info.

Thanks

anlauto

Fore and aft is set by the wheel well of course, and the top edge should be 1/4"-5/16" down from the top edge as a guide...The factory diagram should be in our reference section... :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

bentpshrods

When I was ready to put mine on I had the idea of trying it myself. I think Resto Ricks site had a great write up on installing them. Then common sense  took over and I found a sign shop to install them. The top edge on mine are 1/2" gap to the top of the fender / roughly 7/8" gap around the wheel well to wheel molding edge.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

bentpshrods

One more.   

anlauto

Shoooter

Perfect this is what I needed. Thanks again!

FE5CUDA

Quote from: anlauto on July 20, 2021, 09:55:53 AM
Fore and aft is set by the wheel well of course, and the top edge should be 1/4"-5/16" down from the top edge as a guide...The factory diagram should be in our reference section... :thinking:

Forget the top edge, it's all about the wheel opening.  Once the gap all the way around the wheel opening is the same and the top is straight, what ever the dimension is at the top of the quarter is what it's going to be.  :thinking: :drunk:

Shane Kelley

Quote from: FE5CUDA on July 22, 2021, 02:00:53 AM
Quote from: anlauto on July 20, 2021, 09:55:53 AM

Forget the top edge, it's all about the wheel opening.  Once the gap all the way around the wheel opening is the same and the top is straight, what ever the dimension is at the top of the quarter is what it's going to be.  :thinking: :drunk:
:iagree:  The wheel opening dictates everything!

Shoooter

I know the wheel well has to be even around it and it determines where the top ends up. A ball park measurement would help for the wheel well space. Chances are the top and bottom will be different?  I'm guessing this is where we screwed up when we took a look at then.  We tried to make them the same. All this is great info and the installer is happy.

Shane Kelley

Here's some pics that show some good reference.

headejm

FE5CUDA

The top edge of the sticker in relation to the top of the quarter will definitely be different from the relation of the sticker to the wheel lip.  Don't look at the top edge until you have the billboard sticker around the wheel well with a consistent dimension all the way around.  If you try to have equal dimensions between the top edge and the bottom edge at the well, I can guarantee it will look wacked.

Also. keep in mine there will be a wrinkle from the bottom rear corner at the marker light on about a 45 degree angle.  The very last thing you go, after the sticker has dried and the backer is removed, is slice the sticker and over lap it there.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: FE5CUDA on July 26, 2021, 04:07:18 AM

Also. keep in mine there will be a wrinkle from the bottom rear corner at the marker light on about a 45 degree angle.  The very last thing you go, after the sticker has dried and the backer is removed, is slice the sticker and over lap it there.

You can use a heat gun and shrink the decal while you're applying it. Then there will be no need to cut the stripe. It just takes time and lots patience.
That is definitely the trickiest part to get right when doing the bill board.