Main Menu

1971 DODGE CHALLENGER R/T 426 HEMI SHAKER CONVERTIBLE ?!?!?!?!

Started by BluRaySRT, February 27, 2021, 09:09:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BluRaySRT

This car is up for sale (again) at a much lower price. It has quite a history. Could it possibly be true? I'm thinking that some of you guys have heard about this vehicle and might know the 'real' story. How does one determine the authenticity of the paperwork and the car itself. This car has been sold and resold at least four times in the last 15 years.

http://www.2040-cars.com/Dodge/Challenger/426-hemi-r-t-challenger-shaker-convertible-1971-4-speed-manual-plum-crazy-purple-1161142/

Here is a description of the history....

426 Hemi R/T Challenger Shaker Convertible 1971

RARE RARE ONE-OF-A-KIND
May Be ONLY ONE Known to EXIST

This very special 1971 Hemi Challenger Convertible with a scheduled production date of Wednesday, May 26, 1971, left the assembly plant in Hamtramck, MI with a 383 Four-Barrel Engine. At its time of purchase from Claude R Short Dodge, Inc. in Santa Monica, CA, the original purchaser ordered a FACTORY 426 HEMI ENGINE through the dealership from Chrysler Corporation and it was installed by Claude R Short Dodge, Inc. before taking delivery of the vehicle. An Addendum to the original Dodge window sticker for the 426 Hemi Engine was authorized by Chrysler Corporation and added by the dealership.

The original window sticker and the original addendum along with a copy of the original broadcast sheet comes with the car.

This 1971 Hemi Challenger Convertible had a complete rotisserie restoration in 2003 and has been stored in a climate-controlled facility since its restoration. Also included in this vehicle's portfolio are restoration receipts from 2003 as well as original 1971 dealership advertisements and operator's manual, wiring diagram manual, "Illustrated Facts and Features Manual" and an original 1971 Dodge "Scat Pack" brochure featuring the wild tubes exhaust headers.

Included as well are Chrysler Corporation warranties and exclusions for the 426 cu in "maximum performance" Hemi engine, tire warranties, engine starting instructions tag, other informational tags pertaining to the 426 engine, fender tag decoding lists, letter from Galen V Govier stating that the 1971 383-4BBL DODGE Challenger Convertible VIN JH27N1B405248 is now in the Chrysler Registry and is number 29 of only 31 built in sequence of 1971 383-4BBL DODGE Challenger Convertible's registered, that sold new in the USA. This is truly an exceptional representation of the Classic-Muscle Car of its day!

This 1971 Hemi Challenger R/T 4-Speed Convertible was decoded and certified by Galen V Govier on January 30, 2003 and is in the Chrysler Registry!

This beautiful Hemi Challenger presents a rare opportunity to be included in anyone's special and unique collection!

70vert

for most, I think it comes down to whether you believe Galen and whether you can reach him to confirm his certification.

The date code on the Hemi block seems odd/old, maybe the dealer just had an old one laying around? Other oddities, that I guess just make it rare is it looks like an 8 3/4 rear end so apparently the dealer did not upgrade to a dana when they did the engine upgrade (which I believe would come standard with Hemi + 4-speed). And those headers, were they really a Dodge option or just a dealer install? I have never seen or heard of that style or brand.

I'd assume at that price and background it would mostly be of interest to a car museum. It definitely would make a good advertisement.

anlauto

No where does Galen Govier say that it left the dealership with a Hemi....and the added window sticker is arguably the worse piece of "documentation ever produced...What "dealer" would take the time to type up something like that....and why is the collapsible spare an extra cost option when it was standard with all convertibles ?  If there was a dealer invoice that stated the Hemi was added prior to delivery, that's one thing, but this story in just nonsense....and the restoration is terrible. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 70vert on February 27, 2021, 10:09:13 AM
for most, I think it comes down to whether you believe Galen and whether you can reach him to confirm his certification.

The date code on the Hemi block seems odd/old, maybe the dealer just had an old one laying around? Other oddities, that I guess just make it rare is it looks like an 8 3/4 rear end so apparently the dealer did not upgrade to a dana when they did the engine upgrade (which I believe would come standard with Hemi + 4-speed). And those headers, were they really a Dodge option or just a dealer install? I have never seen or heard of that style or brand.

I'd assume at that price and background it would mostly be of interest to a car museum. It definitely would make a good advertisement.

At no point did Galen touch on the Hemi conversion.... He simply decoded the fender tag....

71vert340

I think someone is trying to get back some money from a convertible they spent big $s on by making it something it isn't. With the original 383 engine, they "might" get one third of what they're asking for the car. If I wasn't sure of a car I was looking at buying, I would certainly pay someone who does know to inspect and verify. Over 40 years ago, people were looking for the 71 T/A Challenger in the brochure. I think someone even built one but the VIN didn't back it up. Sad.  Speaking of Galen, I had someone from his office contact me by email the other day asking if I still had my 71 Challenger convertible. and asking for a phone number to contact me at. I answered back that I still had the convertible and asked why. I goat another email back stating that someone had contacted Galen asking about purchasing a car like mine. Has anyone heard of this kind of thing before? Just curious as I don't like to give out my cell phone number.
Terry W.

njsteve

Those headers are a very rare set of era-correct 1970 pieces but not the ones available from Hustle Stuff (the Dodge parts department, aftermarket parts supplier prior to Direct Connection being created). Very cool units but the story on the car without bulletproof documentation is just that...a story.

How do I know what headers were available hrough the dealer in 1970?

My old 1970 426 Hemi Charger R/T-SE 4-speed was one of those historical pieces that had all the correct documentation to show it left the dealer with a set of the Hustle Stuff headers (which predated Direct Connection by many years). They were basically a set of slip jointed, multi-tube Hooker headers which looked nothing like the ones on that Challenger. I had the entire dealer file folder, with the original dealer prep work order signed by the mechanic. The son of that mechanic still worked at the dealership back in 1990 when he found the file and gave it to me. His dad, and all his relatives worked at the dealership for decades and all remembered the car - it was the only hemi car ever sold by that tiny dealership, Suburban Dodge, in Metuchen, NJ. I even had his dad come over and fill out a spare antifreeze decal for my car. He was the guy who installed the headers and did the original dealer prep before delivery! Now THAT's documentation. Here's the work order and a photo of the original mechanic and his son at Carlisle 15 years ago. :-)

This is what actual documentation looks like:

Skdmark

It left Hamtramck as a 71 N code 383 Convertible with a flat hood, that's it.
Parts counter add-ons from the dealer doesn't change that. No hemi suspension, no HD cooling, no axle package..

IMO, restore the car back to what it was originally.
Even if you paid 100k for the car and sold off the Hemi, you could easily have more in it than it's worth.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

njsteve

BTW, "Public Law 85-806" on the dealer's label, add-on sticker...it was passed in 1958 and relates to Indian Affairs and treaties and their application to housing laws and reimbursements.

http://www.nativeamericanembassy.net/TREATIES/digital.library.okstate.edu/kappler/Vol6/html_files/v6p0848.html

Just thought you'd like to know. ;-)

Katfish

No doubt it absolutely has to be authentic, it has the dealer added "filptop" gas cap!

70vert

Wow, this truly is a mess. Sad, sure hope no one (else) gets taken!!!

ek3

if you had a 1 off car like this , would you think  it deserves to have its factory made rims ? if it is so special , and worthy of a big price , why buy it for top money  and then have to correct all the issues to bring the restoration  level to where it should be ? if the story is true [and could be ! ] then it is what it is. it is a car with a great story...  sometimes, a true story can be a pretty good addition to the value of a car if it hits home with a buyer....

RUNCHARGER

Makes for a good story I suppose. I'm not thinking the $789 option price for the 426 would come close to dealers cost of the longblock, manifolds, carbs, K-member, brackets, mounts, brake booster etc. required even in 1971, not even close. Pipe dream.
Sheldon

ek3

Quote from: anlauto on February 27, 2021, 10:35:07 AM
No where does Galen Govier say that it left the dealership with a Hemi....and the added window sticker is arguably the worse piece of "documentation ever produced...What "dealer" would take the time to type up something like that....and why is the collapsible spare an extra cost option when it was standard with all convertibles ?  If there was a dealer invoice that stated the Hemi was added prior to delivery, that's one thing, but this story in just nonsense....and the restoration is terrible. :alan2cents:
you are right ! it actually states it left with a 383 and that no inspection was done to confirm anything currently on the car...... not that his word would mean anything to me .....................

FE5CUDA

Quote from: anlauto on February 27, 2021, 10:35:07 AM

"....and the restoration is terrible."  :rofl: :haha: :rofl:  Talking about calling the kettle black, gees-zoo batman.

JS29

If Alan thinks the job is sub-par, than than there must be something to it. He has the eye for that stuff!  ::)