Main Menu

1971 DODGE CHALLENGER R/T 426 HEMI SHAKER CONVERTIBLE ?!?!?!?!

Started by BluRaySRT, February 27, 2021, 09:09:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Hey, that's just my opinion, based on those pictures... but if you think the restoration is up to snuff for the $295,000.00 asking price, then have at it ! :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Top Banana

I agree with Alan. Also, you spend $4100 and change for the car new and then spend almost another $2K to buy a parts counter Hemi and parts to put in it? Why not order one from the start and have a factory built car with all the right stuff, assembled to the correct specs? If it is true, nice story but not worth that money.

js27

Quote from: 70 Top Banana on April 18, 2021, 07:36:54 AM
I agree with Alan. Also, you spend $4100 and change for the car new and then spend almost another $2K to buy a parts counter Hemi and parts to put in it? Why not order one from the start and have a factory built car with all the right stuff, assembled to the correct specs? If it is true, nice story but not worth that money.

I do not believe the factory offered a Hemi in 71 for Convertible models.
JS27

anlauto

Yea, oddly enough..Plymouth was still making the Cuda convertible with a Hemi, but not Dodge... :(' No 1971 Hemi Challenger convertibles...I wonder if the were NOT available, or just nobody ordered one  :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

YYZ

IIRC there isn't any literature I've seen that indicates a planned R/T convertible for '71, however, it would be great to see some of the corporate memos discussion that decision and why.

There are documented examples of '71 Challenger ragtops coming through with blacked out grilles and tailpanels (not just with Elastomerics) and R/T side stripes presumably applied in error.

About 10 or so years ago there was a big discussion on another Mopar site about a possible 'R' code '71 Challenger ragtop.  I don't recall if it was JS27R1B or JH27R1B.

At least in theory, neither vehicle should have been available.

However, everything was there in Hamtramck to build one correctly, and certainly it's possible that a Dodge executive or someone 'connected' could have arranged a build.

Though not as exotic, there are numerous documented examples of 1970 340 Barracuda hardtops (BH23H0B) which were also not supposed to be available -- the 340 reserved for 'Cuda only.