Main Menu

1972 steering column

Started by Lambethdave, January 19, 2022, 09:35:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Lambethdave

@Cuda Cody hi there l messaged you a few days ago about a steering column rebuild..l have a 1972 column l am rebuilding for my 1970 floor shift auto...l am aware of a few differences however my parts list includes..top and lower bearing, cancel cam, ignition switch, turn signal lever, coupler rebuild kit..is there any other parts l should order for this thing..thank you for your advice...Dave..

anlauto

Well, for starters, welcome to the best  E Body website in the WORLD....I'm in Georgetown Ontario...

Your 1972 column will fit and work in your 1970 car, however it's completely wrong. In 1970 the columns had an inner tube which the 72's don't. The 72's have a "to remove key, depress lever" system that was NOT on the 70 columns at all....1970 was a one year only column.

If these little details don't bother you and you just want a column that will work and turn the wheels, THEN your above list just about has everything you need...I would add the foam firewall gasket, and maybe a new "depress lever" decal, and by "cancel cam" you mean turn signal switch...

If you're close by, stop in anytime, I have  couple of columns here that I can explain a little better the differences. EDIT: I just looked up where Lambeth is, that's a bit of a drive, but you're always welcome.

Check out my website www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Lambethdave

Ya it's not gonna bug me also that is something that l can change if it ever does...funny you mention the foam l just ordered that...this is my first mopar " frame off " ..l am also a pretty big  Olds guy..still have a few if them...thank for your response..and certainly l would love to chat in person sometime...l also have a 1968 Plymouth Satellite l like quite a bit..

Lambethdave

Hi everyone, l am ordering my steering column stuff from year one..they list two lower bearings with what looks like neoprene around em..and then a few that look just like nylon..which bearing does a 1972 column take floor shift..? Thank you..they list em all for 70 to 74...they also list floor shift on many of em..it's confusing..

anlauto

From YearOne, BH194 would be the one you want. $57.11 USD  :unitedstates:= $74.25 CDN :canada:

Just for your information, members here get a discount at Roseville Moparts.... :bigthumb:

HOWEVER....and when ordering from Canada, why not use National Moparts in Beaverton ON.  No international shipping that way :dunno:
https://nationalmoparts.com/ or https://nationalmoparts.com/parts-catalogue?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flexible_flypageV1_WIDE.tpl&product_id=5554&category_id=2116  at $63.95 CDN :canada:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Lambethdave