Main Menu

Steering Column for Power Steering

Started by money pit, December 13, 2021, 10:56:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

money pit

Is the steering column and the steering shaft the same for a power steering and non power steering car? I would like to convert to power steering on one of my cars. I already have the power steering unit from another car.  Thanks.

anlauto

A power steering shaft is 3" shorter then a manual steering shaft.....you can work around this by collapsing the shaft, but that's not the safest option, nor is it really recommended  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FE5CUDA

You will not have any issues shortening a manual steering shaft.  You will also need a P/S coupler, they are different diameter for the gear box shaft between manual and P/S.  The two holes in the shaft where the bottom half is put into the top half looks like nylon pins, they are not.  The lower shaft has half moon machine grooves all the way around the shaft, the holes are where the manufacturer injected a glue type material to keep the lower shaft from slipping out during assembly.  I've slide hammered shafts apart and blasted the shaft and got rid of the glue and slid the shaft all the way in for installation of the column in the car.  It makes it really easy it install one by yourself, bolt the column into the dash frame, go out to the engine compartment and pull the shaft out and slide the coupler down on the shaft.  The shaft is indexed, make sure you have the shaft in right side up.  Once the column is bolted in from the top and the roll pin is installed in the bottom, the shaft is going nowhere. 

money pit

I agree. I don't have the experience to mess with the steering shaft. I think I will look for a new column.  Thanks

money pit

I have a little experience removing and replacing the steering box and steering column but no experience modifying/shortening the shaft. I think I will look for a power steering column.  Thanks.