489 suregrip 3.55 gear

Started by scf100, April 30, 2018, 06:54:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

scf100

looking for one for my 73 Cuda which has a 3.23 open in it

What's the going price range on these?
1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

Cuda Cody

3.55 is a great gear.  Sorry I don't know what they are going for these days.

Shane Kelley

Those are the tougher ones to find. Since that seems to be what most people want. Fresh set ups go for 1500.00 from Dr. Diff or Mancini. When used ones pop up from time to time they are around 800-900.  :alan2cents: If your capable of building one yourself you can do it for 800.00 with parts from Dr. Diff. Ring & pinion, new sure grip and bearings. Only thing reused is housing and yoke.

anlauto

I agree with Shane, if your car has a 489 case, just buy the new parts from Dr. Diff and rebuild yours with whatever ratio you want....a lot better then rolling the dice on a used unit...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

I would also build new , I assume you want a sure grip as well , clutch are far better but only used until 69 , the later 70 up used cone type sure grips which almost 50 years later are nearly impossible to find that are not worn out & they are not rebuildable ,  the other option is the True Trac which is very innovative which allows cornering with zero resistance but will drive both wheels all the time under power .
Dr Diff is who I would deal with .

scf100

Craigslist ad in Nevada advertising rebuilt 489 suregrip 3.55
Rebuilt new parts new gears 90 day warranty free shipping  with PayPal.
>> $795

think thats a good deal shipped to Ga?.....has pictures in ad.....does Ford and Mopar chunks

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/d/ford-9-inch-and-8-inch-and/6537288258.html

Shane Kelley

Sounds like a good deal to me! That's a real heavy piece to ship.

RUNCHARGER

I think that would be a deal if the builder is reputable. I see Dr. Diff is about double so I would worry about what you might be getting with that builder. The Auburn prices out at $407, Gear set is more than $200 for the cheap ones then a bearing kit, price of shipping and labour. Maybe the guy is strictly getting a good wholesale deal on the parts and putting them together for the fun of it but is it worth the risk? If he is local you can go talk to him if the gears are whining but long distance Craigslist deals would be a worry.
Reading the ad again he isn't really talking all new parts I don't think. Nothing said about new gearsets, really not absolute on the LSD unit either or even bearings for that matter.
Sheldon

61K T/A

If you buy from CL use Paypal for payment. If it turns out to be defective you can at least send it back for a refund.

scf100

so what gear oil and friction additive do you guys recommend?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: scf100 on December 26, 2018, 02:06:46 PM
so what gear oil and friction additive do you guys recommend?

I believe 85w-140 would be the most common gear oil along with Ford friction modifier. I would plan on dropping the fluid after a couple hundred miles.

I would take any differential warranty with a grain of salt, almost anything will "last" 90 days. You'll have a real hard time getting someone several states away to help you with a noisy gear set or a differential that is not setup right/worn out.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

Asking what oil to use will get you a lot of different answers...lol

I use Amzoil severe gear. Requires no additive. Comes in 75/90, 75/110. 75/140. Any of them will be more than enough for an e-body application.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

LinceCuda

Quote from: scf100 on April 30, 2018, 09:23:36 AM
Craigslist ad in Nevada advertising rebuilt 489 suregrip 3.55
Rebuilt new parts new gears 90 day warranty free shipping  with PayPal.
>> $795

think thats a good deal shipped to Ga?.....has pictures in ad.....does Ford and Mopar chunks

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/d/ford-9-inch-and-8-inch-and/6537288258.html

Go for the sure thing from Dr. Did.
I got the 3:55 ring and pinion reproduction sure grip master rebuilt kit and axle bearing kit everything plus shipping was $825.00 that way you know what you have is good stuff. This was for a 489 case I bought to put in my 73 Cuda.

GrandpaKevin

Here is a 3.55 equipped 741 case that has been rebuilt with used gears and a new differential.

The seller has a shop with 8 3/4 cores so if you're set on a 489 case he can build one how you like.

I know he rebuilds a lot of rear ends of all makes and sells on Moparts and E-bay also.

I've never bought any of his products but I have heard good reviews from some who have.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/d/355-mopar-875-third-member-741-case-30/6776758518.html

Chryco Psycho

I would use gl 4 80-90 gear oil , 140 is overkill , if you use a TruTrac diff you do not need a friction modifier at all , clutch or cone type will need it though