Main Menu

A66 Challenger Registry

Started by 340challconvert, February 09, 2020, 08:14:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mr Cuda

It's great that A66 challengers have registry,  but are 340 Cuda's not worthy of a list?
I don't know the answer as I'm uninformed. (And living in a Cuda bubble)
Is it just the interest level of the list maker?

anlauto

Quote from: Mr Cuda on December 26, 2022, 09:27:25 AM
It's great that A66 challengers have registry,  but are 340 Cuda's not worthy of a list?
I don't know the answer as I'm uninformed. (And living in a Cuda bubble)
Is it just the interest level of the list maker?

I'm die hard Cuda guy as well, but there's nothing really unique or odd about a 340 Cuda.  :dunno: The A66 is odd because it's a high performance engine in a non-RT car, just a basic Challenger, like some sort of after thought. :thinking:

....and ALL it takes is one enthusiast to start a registry. If you feel there would be enough interest, put a side some time to start collecting info....place ads looking for people to donate info, and even one day, build your own website dedicated to 340 Cudas :stayinlane:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Cuda

It won't be me doing a registry.  I work off an android smart phone,  thats out of memory.
We know that dodge is higher option typically,  so offering a 340 in a base challenger, is probably still better equipped than the average drum brake,  standard dash  Cuda.
Besides they  made almost twice as many challenger's  so more  interest.
Heck, Cuda  people  can't see past 440-6 and hemi.
Look how hard cudahunter works on m46 cars, which are unique

340challconvert

A66 Challengers were conceived as a late decision to offer the 340 engine A66 package in a Challenger that was not available formally until early October 1969. There is one A66 Challenger in the A66 Registry that has a late September date.  The package was listed in the 70 Dodge salesman's pocket guide dated 9/23/69.
When Dodge realized that the Cuda would get the 340 engine, they did scramble to develop the A66 package.
The A66 Challenger, even though it was based on the "standard" Challenger, all A66's came with the RT equipment sans the big block; heavy duty 11 in brakes, heavy duty suspension, the R/T hood and bumble stripe and scat pack bee decals. It initially also came with required 15" rallye wheels,  a collapsible spare and a 26in radiator. The wheel lip moldings were deleted due to the use of the 15" wheels.  On October 20th formally, the F70-14 wide oval tires became the standard, the same tire standard on a Challenger RT. The A66 Challenger was basically an RT with the small block 340. I always found it odd that the 340 Cuda had the BS designation while the A66 Challenger came with the JH designation.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

340challconvert

Just sharing my own personal thoughts on starting a specific genre Registry;  I have been collecting information on A66 340 Challengers for many years before I formalized the information in a data bank. You also need a base to gather the information while building a following of interested enthusiasts. In my case The A66 Group on Facebook.
In organizing the data; it is labor intensive. I use a general spread sheet in documenting option demarcations and create a supplemental file for each entry with information and pictures. The spreadsheet containing options "evolves
with the data collection. Examples of this includes adding option categories such as metal or decal hood callouts or demarcating 2 tone A66 Challengers as just two examples.
As with most Registries; the data is based on code breakdowns from information that is really already out there along with data collected for the Registry.
The more cars you are able to Register for your specific genre allows a more accurate count of the number of cars that are still out there and what are the dominant option choices on those cars.
It is a labor of love and I encourage anyone who has an interest to pursue creation of a Registry for their favorite model. My personal take; I will never monetize the information when requested by enthusiast owners.

rusty409

My 2 cents worth:
The A66 Challenger is a very cool package. It is unique and worthy of it's own registry because it is so specific, only offering a 340 engine and it's unique trim such as no wheel lip moldings for example. The registry is a great place to find A66 specific information that can't be readily found anywhere else. I own an A66 numbers matching plum crazy Challenger that I have owned since 1986. It's my own barn find since it has been parked in my garage since 1999. Now that I am retired and the kids are out of the house am starting to restore it. The registry is a great place to find info.

340challconvert

Another notable data fact from the A66 Challenger Registry;

It is rare for any V8 Challengers to have come from the factory with a 3 speed manual trans.

A66 Challengers w a 3 speed are even more rare.

In the A66 Registry, we have only 6 total.
4 hardtops and 2 verts.
Total production of 3sp A66 cars were; 343 HT's and only 20 verts.

340challconvert

Quote from: rusty409 on January 05, 2023, 10:30:59 AM
My 2 cents worth:
The A66 Challenger is a very cool package. It is unique and worthy of it's own registry because it is so specific, only offering a 340 engine and it's unique trim such as no wheel lip moldings for example. The registry is a great place to find A66 specific information that can't be readily found anywhere else. I own an A66 numbers matching plum crazy Challenger that I have owned since 1986. It's my own barn find since it has been parked in my garage since 1999. Now that I am retired and the kids are out of the house am starting to restore it. The registry is a great place to find info.
Rusty; glad you kept your A66 since 1986. Your ownership is similar to mine. Bought my A66 vert in 1979 and drove it until 1984 when I then put it into storage. Only took her out of storage 4 years ago to finally work on after my retirement.  Looking forward to some pics of your restoration
Phil

6PKRTSE

Some have seen mine. Some have not. Here is my originally 340 A66 Challenger. Now a 528" Hemi car.

340challconvert

Thank you for sharing the A66 pic
That is a great looking Challenger; it must really fly with that drivetrain
Do you have any data that I can register the car in the Challenger A66 Registry,
That would be great.\
Thanks
Phil

340challconvert

A66 Registry highlight! A rare A66 Challenger from the Registry files in FM3. Was for sale on e bay in September 2021  No other documentation.

anlauto

Did you ever add this one ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

340challconvert

Quote from: anlauto on March 16, 2023, 04:07:46 PM
Did you ever add this one ?

Allen
Thanks for posting
I did have a file on this car with some pics
Rare and interesting A66; it was listed for sale on e bay in August of 2021 and sold.
There is another FM3 A66 in the Registry almost identical, but with a white interior and automatic, two serial numbers away from this one. Both have SPD's of 402.
When I went back to check the files, the picture of the FM3 A66 Challenger I posted above is the other car. Your prompt helped me identify the other car.  :twothumbsup:

340challconvert

Some other pics of the FM3 A66 relating to the tag;

anlauto

My buddy was supposed to buy it, but Mark Worman (GYC) scooped it up... :'( I saw it on their show a while ago..