Main Menu

Another Attempt: Oh How I Wish I Could Locate This Car!

Started by 7E-Bodies, September 08, 2020, 03:46:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

May be a repeat to some, but here goes again...In 1980, I was working a Saturday alone to finish up some customer jobs that I needed to knock out at the body shop where I worked as a 19 year old. I had driven my 70 Challenger /6 car as usual. I called a place in Washington, IL (nearby) to order a pint of lacquer for a customer job. When the guy delivered it, I heard the unmistakable rumble of a big block Mopar outside the bay door. When the guy came in with my supplies, I said what is running out there? I didn't give him a chance to answer and opened the overhead door to see a like new 1970 440 Challenger RT with 28,000 miles on it. When I couldn't contain myself, he said "if you have $2000, take it, I hate Mopars". I went on an immediate quest to get the money. There wasn't a bank that'd touch a 10 year old Chrysler product in 1980 for 2k, let alone trust a 19 year old with $100 in the bank. My dad pulled some strings and a loan officer at a local bank agreed to talk to me. He sternly warned me that I'd better not screw up this opportunity as he was going out on a limb. As I rushed to get the car in Washington, IL, I pulled into his driveway with 2 grand in my pocket and strict orders to get the title to my dad's banking buddy ASAP. When the guy opened the two stall garage door, I swear I heard a choir of angels and harps. There it sat. Everything a 19 year old wanted (that wasn't on two legs). Next to it a covered car of some sort. I had to ask. "What's under that?" When he pulled the sheets off of it, there sat an immaculate Yenko Z28. 68? 69? Not sure. He said "now THIS is a car" as he explained that his brother had ordered the Challenger upon coming back from Viet Nam, drove it a while, took another tour and never made it back. Another reason why he wanted it gone (I guess?). I didn't dwell on it. I handed him the money, he handed me the title and the keys and I was gone. After putting gas in it at a Standard station near his house, I could barely quit walking around it. My knees were shaking. I still remember the smell as I climbed back in and turned the key. That sound, that feel. There was about 6-8 miles of two lane straight away to get back to the body shop in Morton IL and I still can't drive that stretch without my heart aching. I remember lightly dropping the accelerator and being almost scared of the reaction, a big jump from the ol' 225.  The car was literally in new condition, minor fade in the paint and a few chips. A JS23U0B with AC/Dark green interior, Auto C16, R11 tunes, 6 way driver's bucket, dual painted mirrors, V5F body side moldings, and I'm fairly sure FF4 paint (maybe F7 but I was too dumb to log it down or photograph the tag). I'm certain I remember the door sticker being stamped May 1970 and yes, it was horizontal. I pampered and preserved this car until late '87 after going through a personal tragedy that I barely survived. The $5500 that a finder paid me for it seemed like a small fortune and an end to my financial mess at the time, and I let it go with 33,000 miles on it. All I remember is that he was headed to Vermont, I think. A total loss fire in '92 destroyed most of my photos and all of my file cabinet records. Here's what's already been tried:
Local police chief friend ran that '82 Illinois plate in the pic, no go
Same chief ran an investigative case through the DMV, no go, too long ago
State Farm agent (that insured it) remembered it vividly and said he'd locate the files and get me the lost last 6 digits of the vin, purged and gone, more heartbreak
Bank that loaned me the money, no go...files long ago purged
Numerous online postings, no go (except a guy that called with one nearly identical, which I bought and now own)
Repeated attempts through Lost Muscle Cars, nothing

Before anyone suggests searching with the full vin, THATS THE PROBLEM. I never memorized them exactly (yet I could recognize a few digits from memory)
If I had the full VIN, I'd be tempted to hire a private investigator or do some bribing.

I've spent years combing through members car show pics, even made Carlisle in 2017 and chased a couple dead end leads, one in which a Carlisle patron in a hotel room next to me swore he'd seen it there in years past. Another guy led me to a classic car business in GA that told me over the phone they distinctly remembered the car (or it's twin) but refused to give me tracking info.

If there is ANY WAY ANYONE has ever seen anything like this, please contact me.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

750-h2

Nice car. Hope you can find her! She looks similar to Dan's car.

7E-Bodies

Dan's is an F8 though, right? If I have my members correct.

750-h2

7E-Bodies

I was wondering if someone like @6bblgt could narrow down a range that the last 6 digits would fall into.

7E-Bodies

I was thinking his was a 383 car? Heck, I can't remember anything any more.

6bblgt

yes, my R/T is FF4 with: 383 auto A/C N94 (WA to SC to TN to OH to NV, as far as I know)

440HP auto is <2,000 cars, so that's a good start

FF4 "light" & EF8 "dark" are the 2 "metallic greens" for 1970

you stated "VERTICAL" door VIN sticker = LA assembly = JS23U0E1xxxxx

5 70 is the last month of production for E-bodies in LA (& it is just the first week)

@7E-Bodies  confirm the above or post a list of absolutes - KNOWNS / OPTIONS / etc.

6bblgt

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on September 08, 2020, 03:46:57 PM
..... I remember lightly dropping the accelerator and being almost scared of the reaction, a big jump from the ol' 225.  .....

:-X

cuda hunter

It appears to have the V5 moldings on it.  Were the moldings v5X or v5G ? 

This will help narrow down your search as I'm sure someone didn't put those on after market or after the case. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

7E-Bodies

@cuda hunter I'm assuming they are V5F as they are the same as the ones on my current 70 RT. They were a sun faded pale green.

6bblgt

roughly ~200 EF8/FF4 JS23U0 cars built -

I have info on ~15 JS23U0 green metallic cars
** (all but one were scheduled 9/69 - 12/69)  that lone R/T is May LA & a 4-speed car
** (besides your current R/T)  the only other car with V5F, is a Mr. Norm's 4-speed car

HAMTRAMCK / MAY '70 door sticker  - VIN would be in the 0B302000 to 0B355000 range

cuda hunter

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on September 08, 2020, 05:16:03 PM
@cuda hunter I'm assuming they are V5F as they are the same as the ones on my current 70 RT. They were a sun faded pale green.
Yep, my mistake.  v5F.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 08, 2020, 05:16:40 PM
roughly ~200 EF8/FF4 JS23U0 cars built -

Here's one of the FF4 ones with a four speed... :burnout:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

Probably was starting with a 3. I remember that much, vaguely. If I were to ever see the car, and it was left original, I'd have no trouble making a positive ID. I'm just amazed that crystal clear plate couldn't be tracked back to a registration. One member sent me a private message about calling me. Not sure if he's onto something or not. We'll see.

7E-Bodies

@6bblgt negative on the vertical, the sticker was horizontal. I distinctly remember that as well as the B in the vin. I'm also betting towards the FF4 if all this helps. Then there were the light green side moldings which always seem to land in my lap, lol.

JS23U0B
Dark Green Vinyl Top (that we both know so well)
F8 interior (full vinyl bucket interior), green dashpad, steering column, standard steering wheel, green carpet, green seat belts, green headliner
6 way drivers seat
AC car
PS/PB
AM radio
C16 and 727 Auto Slap Stick

This should narrow it down a bit