Main Menu

Another Attempt: Oh How I Wish I Could Locate This Car!

Started by 7E-Bodies, September 08, 2020, 03:46:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dmastr3665

1972V21Cuda

If you got $5,500 for a green Challenger back in 1987, that was a ton of money! Back then, I would have sold it too for that price.

RzeroB

@7E-bodies  I live in "Ill-Annoy" too ... so I know the futility of doing just about ANYTHING with the DMV here. Nonetheless, I'm rooting for you and hope that your quest eventually reaches the desired conclusion.  :popcorn:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

7E-Bodies

@RzeroB thanks. Misery loves company. I'd even be willing to bribe someone there. Anything to just get that damn final 5 digits of the vin.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

@1972V21Cuda exactly. I'd been through an unforgettable tragedy, was in debt, and $5500 cash looked pretty good. It didn't really start to hit me until around 1995. By then, all records got lost in a massive fire and I'd forgotten names.

IRON MAN

California has CHP Referee Stations throughout the state. One of their many jobs is researching vin #'s. I purchased a gorgeous '72 Step side truck from a family before they moved to Oregon. The following weekend I surveyed the truck and discovered it had no vin plate. Called the CHP. The CHP said, if I am caught driving the truck it will be impounded and they scheduled an appointment for me to bring it to them (two week wait). I brought it in. The CHP  found the secondary vin on the frame, ran it through their computer system. The CHP were able to find out every previous owner's name & state. He said the engine came out of a stolen 81 Corvette, it was recovered by the insurance company who sold it to GM Sport Salvage in San Jose, who sold it to a guy in San Francisco who installed it in the truck, then he sold it to the family in Belmont who sold the truck to you. The CHP riveted a plate with the original vin on it with a control number. BTW, the truck was sold new in kentucky.

So, just maybe, your state highway patrol office can help you. Is that a box of doughnuts I smell? :drooling:

7E-Bodies

@IRON MAN I'll look into that. However, the ISP isn't known for being very friendly. I may pull up and chat with a patrol that's sitting somewhere. Not a bad idea.

RzeroB

As you know, the ISP's HQ is only an hour or so away from Peoria down in Springfield ... why not just go on down there and pay them a visit??
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)