Main Menu

Are there any 'mistakes' you prefer over correctness?

Started by Flatdad, May 21, 2020, 06:24:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

Install hood pins. I had someone try to steal my shaker hood in the 1970s but I must have scared them off. Hood was open and some things were partially unbolted. I  installed hood pins in factory location and installed locks. Before that and after the thwarted theft, I put a chain and padlock behind the grill up through the hood latch and had to crawl under to access the padlock behind the valance. I've also seen the result of a hood popping open at highway speeds. Not pretty. I like hood pins.
Terry

Chryco Psycho

1 Wild R/T

I like some things about hood pins, the safety aspect for sure, When cruising at 75+ & the hood is moving around pins are good...    But I'm not a big fan of them visually...

I do prefer the tail light panel black..

floorit426

On some cars, a black shaker looks better, in my opinion. My FY1 car has had a black scoop, since before I owned it, 45 years ago. I was toying with the idea of shooting it argent, for correctness, but my wife strongly expressed her opinion. It stays black. I guess I'm glad she cares about it, that much!

Chryco Psycho

That looks perfect on your Yellow & Black car  :twothumbsup:

Rich G.

I'm a big fan of building a car the way you like but only one thing that I don't like is putting the wrong stripe on the car. To me that identifies the year. Hockey stick to me is the cleanest looking stripe but I  hate that it was only on the 70. To bad it wasn't an option for all years.

71383bee

Mine are geared to the frowny face cars as I own one...I'm biased as i wish they had some of the options the 70/71's had.

1. 72 rallye tailpanel treatment
2. flip top gas gap
3. Other colored side stripes (as long as they were previous optioned colors)
4. Pre 72 steering wheels
5. Electronic Ignition
6. Stock disc brakes added
7. Dual mirrors
8. 70/71 sun visors (they are just better)
9. Any other stock radio
10. Spoilers. pedestal or T/A
11. Hood pins

For some reason i don't care for the blackout hood on 72 and up cars.  Nor do I care for incorrect badging of the rallyes.  I also dont care for painting hemi orange on engines for 72 and up.  Its not an R/T and that's ok.  Embrace the Rallye!   
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 21, 2020, 07:55:53 AM
:bigthumb:
The front grille is deep & black , I believe it looks better with the rear deep & black also . :bigthumb:
Definitely
That's why my Challenger's a$$ is black...not argent.

I also like the gold pentastar on the right fender...so I added one to mine (not my car in the pic...just an example)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

Disc brakes are a must
electronic Ign for sure also
Dual mirrors especially on SE cars

Mr Lee

Bigger wheels...  And wider tires.  And not to an extreme level but I like the wheel to be almost flush with the side of the car and to fill out the wheel well a bit.  I have a pair of 14x5.5's for my car, but they'll probably never go on. 

Also, thicker sway bars, torsion bars and a firm feel steering box.  The stock power steering is way too strong. 

I also converted my car to have front discs. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Brads70

I think I'll be one of a few maybe but the side mirrors on the 70 Challenger bugged me  and I'm not really OCD . I used the later mirrors  so they are the same side to side or pardon the pun " mirror image"

PLY474

The plastic blinker housing, that is mounted in the lower valence, on the 72-74 Cuda /Barracuda wasn't painted originally.  I think it should have received the same dark argent as the grill.

PLY474

This may be blasphemy to some I realize, but here goes....I like the 71 front valence used with the 72-74 grill as shown in this Sox & Martin photo.   

Burdar

QuoteMine are geared to the frowny face cars as I own one...  Embrace the Rallye!

Then please stop referring to it as a "frowny face" car.  I hate hearing that.  They have never looked that way to me. :alan2cents:

Joegrapes

When I was building my Gran Coupé I wanted it to look like a Cuda so I painted the tail panel black and used Cuda trim. I just like that better. I also used Cuda badging on the rest of the car. I have since seen the light and put everything back to Gran Coupé trim. The mistake I made was drilling the power bulge hood for the Cuda 440 badges. I wish now I would have left the hood blank.