Main Menu

Prefer # matching or otherwise ?

Started by Racer57, December 27, 2017, 06:30:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

There are so many aftermarket parts available now that make our cars much more enjoyable to drive that I would have a hard time leaving a "numbers matching one of blah blah" alone.  Having said that, would I like to have an numbers matching R code '70 Cuda? Heck ya I would!  :banana:

71-440

I also like to drive and tinker with my toys so #'s matching doesn't mean much to me. Having said that I respect those that do have #'s matching cars because it's preserving history in it's true form.
Joe

Brads70

To me the idea is not to have a 1:1 scale diecast car or have a perfectly restored car so the next guy that pry's the keys out of my dead cold fingers  gets to enjoy my hard work. I plan on wearing it out myself!  :)  :burnout:
That being said I do love to see the rare numbers cars while at shows like Carlisle. I do appreciate the blood sweat and tears it takes the average guy to own and maintain such a car. I especially enjoy the original owners cars and legit survivors.  :clapping:

Plumcrazzy

If you are looking for an E body or just come across one (and are a fan) you acquire the vehicle and then decide which route to take for the rebuild. If a car is all there and is restorable I feel that it deserves the proper restoration to bring it back to its former glory. If it is missing major driveline parts and sheet metal then turn it into a modified road car with all the latest tech stuff. Just my  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

I agree if a car is all there it is a good plan to restore it as delivered. Missing parts kind of make it easier to modify a car. This is getting to be a stronger feeling every year, it's so hard to find an original car these days that it changes your point of view. A 69 Hemi Road Runner came up locally within the last week, I feel that car deserves to be restored correctly and part of the reason I didn't even call on it is because it was missing all of the key drivetrain so I know it will take way too much $$$ to do the car justice.
Sheldon

HP2

Typically, I'm too much of a cheapskate to even get caught up in the number matching game. If I had that kind of money to throw around and was a high end player, then yes I would pursue numbers.

Lacking that, however, I am much more of a non-pedigreed, build it how you want, and enjoy it type.