Main Menu

Prefer # matching or otherwise ?

Started by Racer57, December 27, 2017, 06:30:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

When I first bought my '70 Barracuda that had been turned into a 'Cuda I was kinda disappointed that I hadn't held out for a real numbers matching 'Cuda. But now that I've had it for a few years I'm damn glad that its not a "real one". I can do whatever I want to it and not worry whether its correct or not. Basically, I can and do drive it all the time and really enjoy it instead of being scared of getting a paint chip or buying something that not numbers correct.

If you were to buy your first Cuda/Challenger, what would you want ?

Dakota

I'd buy something like what you describe about your first car.   I want something I can drive, so my car will end being "mostly stock".  I appreciate the workmanship and attention to detail that goes with making sure the correct bolts and clips are in place - just not my cup of tea. 

ToxicWolf

I am the same way.  I went with a true resomod with the 70 Challenger.  I wanted to be able to drive the car and enjoy it.  A trailer queen was not for me.  Of course having both would be great ... But expensive.  :rolleyes:

dodj

I would never buy a numbers matching car. Means nothing to me personally. I really appreciate and respect those that build/restore the #'s cars, but if I owned a numbers car, I would sell it, buy a non-numbers 4 spd car and use the leftover $ for modding it. Suspension, wheels, drive line, etc..
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

GoodysGotaCuda

My #s 318 and 904 are keeping my shed from flying away. If I had a pedigree driveline, I would have a different opinion..but if it's not the top dog, modify away and get after it. :burnout: :takemymoney: :burnout:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

I drive my stuff, matching #'s can hinder that feeling of freedom.
Sheldon

Spikedog08

Depends what it is . . If I’m buying a high dollar car . . Well yes numbers matching . . Cost depends.  I personally want to drive my cars.  So I want something I can mess with.  I have 2cars, one can be original if I want. . . It is a 73 original cuda 340 4speed which is probably not that desirable .  But I have all the original parts. The other is not the original engine, color and most other options I have changed.  I’m looking to drive my cars . . And enjoy them while I can!  Limited time here in Michigan . . Wish I was driving them today but -6 tonight
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Cudakiller70

Your car, your money, your way even if it's numbers matching.  :thinking: That being said if it's uber rare you should pass it on and get something else if your going to mod.  :tool:

Katfish

Quote from: dodj on December 27, 2017, 06:37:37 PM
I would never buy a numbers matching car. Means nothing to me personally. I really appreciate and respect those that build/restore the #'s cars, but if I owned a numbers car, I would sell it, buy a non-numbers 4 spd car and use the leftover $ for modding it. Suspension, wheels, drive line, etc..

My thoughts exactly

JH27N0B

If you get caught up with the hype of terms like "investment grade" then you'd better focus on getting a numbers car.
If you are buying a car to enjoy, then you will probably agree with me that #s is a very over rated metric.
I'm not very interested in clones, if I spot a hemi cuda at a show or cruise and then notice the VIN has a G rather than an R in it, I lose interest.  But worrying about whether a real deal rare car has it's born with engine and/ or trans doesn't concern me much if at all.
2 of my 3 Challengers are NOM and I've yet to ever have anyone try to climb under one of them at an event to try to see the numbers on the block!  And it's nice to know that if I'm enjoying my car and blow the engine, it will be a bad day/week/maybe month, but nothing that can't be fixed, which would not be the case if I trashed a #s block and permanently diminished the value of the car.

1 Wild R/T

My R/T vert is numbers matching, hasn't stopped me from putting over 90K miles on it.... I have a 400 block that I've thought about building up but the 383 now that I've put small chamber heads & a little more cam plus EFI runs plenty strong... I don't hammer it mercilessly but it's been spun to 6500+ plenty of times..

4mayhemi

It's like a catch22 for me.  If I do anything, I like to do it right.  So by the time I make a BS23G the way I like - do the bodywork, swap in a 6pack and rallye cluster, add road lamps, shaker, brightwork - there'll be a lot of dough spent.  If I'm pushing 80K, might as well get a V that was born with my wishlist.  But if I'm spending that amount of cash, it better be numbers.  I think a "non-museum" albeit numbers car can handle a little flogging once in a while.

dave73

When I first started thinking about modifying my car, I thought of it more from a financial standpoint. Mine is a 73 challenger, 318, 3 spd, numbers matching sure, but not rare nor desirable to most. I could've restored it to it's former glory but I would've had more in it than it'll probably ever be worth. Instead, I swapped in a big block, 4 speed, upgraded suspension and stored the 318/3spd in the corner of my garage. It's probably worth more in this state then if I would've restored it back to original.

torredcuda

Both, my Barracuda is only a 318 car so I don`t worry about modifying it but I bought my `70 road runner because I wanted a real one, not a clone. I t was a bonus that it has it`s matching number engine but it would not have been a deal breaker if it didn`t it just would have got a closely dated block. It will not be 100% stock as it will have Day 2 type add ons but otherwise look mostly factory. I will still drive the hell out of it and being only a lowly 383 car I won`t worry about it too much. One of my dream cars is an AAR and I would want a real one as I just would not be OK with a clone, again numbers matching would be nice but not a neccesaity.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Pentastarnut

I bought my 70' Cuda last year the day after Christmas knowing it was a H code car BUT it didn't have the numbers engine or transmission. Not a concern for what i'm doing to it though, 408 5 speed full Hotchkis kit 17" rallye's etc. I know a few buddys with numbers matching trailer queens and they are very nice but i wouldn't enjoy a killer MOPAR that has been finished for 5+ years with only having driven it 5 or so miles ( in and out of the trailer to the field for shows ) cuz where's the fun in that ?