Main Menu

Are there any 'mistakes' you prefer over correctness?

Started by Flatdad, May 21, 2020, 06:24:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Bullitt-

I prefer the chromed 15" magnum wheels to the 14" w/trim ring my car came with

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Bullitt-

Quote from: Burdar on May 22, 2020, 05:38:23 AM
QuoteMine are geared to the frowny face cars as I own one...  Embrace the Rallye!

Then please stop referring to it as a "frowny face" car.  I hate hearing that.  They have never looked that way to me. :alan2cents:

SNARL

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

71383bee

QuoteMine are geared to the frowny face cars as I own one...  Embrace the Rallye!

Then please stop referring to it as a "frowny face" car.  I hate hearing that.  They have never looked that way to me. :alan2cents:
Sorry burdar!  Didn't mean to offend. I should add the "air quotes" to the term as that is how I feel as well.   I think we are kind of the Rodney dangerfield's of the lot and I take it as a bit of pride actually to defend them.

As a proud 71/72 B body owner it's a feeling I've learned and defended for many years. I'd watch as people would stroll right past my original paint 71 EL5 roadrunner to go look at the 68 -70 cars.

I'm a proud defender of the later generation of E's and B's! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

71383bee

Quote from: Bullitt- on May 22, 2020, 06:01:39 AM
I prefer the chromed 15" magnum wheels to the 14" w/trim ring my car came with

That's funny!  I actually prefer the opposite!  I'm going to be selling the 15x7 magnum 500's to back to the 14x6's. Are those trim rings available?

This is a fun post!  The thing of it is everyone has got a little different style but a common thread I see is that the changes were either offered or close to original tweaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUNCHARGER

14 inch trim rings are unobtanium as well. I don't get the trim ring deal. Every car needs 4 of them. Mopar guys routinely pay double what GM or Mustang guys will for a part. Yet no one will make the correct, darn trim rings.
Sheldon

Cudajason

Quote from: PLY474 on May 21, 2020, 08:18:55 PM
This may be blasphemy to some I realize, but here goes....I like the 71 front valence used with the 72-74 grill as shown in this Sox & Martin photo.

I love that!   I have wanted to do that for years, but that 71 piece is so dam pricy!!!
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

YellowThumper

To go with what many have stated I like the darker tail panels. Exception to that is mine. Y5 yellow. Dark contrast is too great and does not look good.
Agree with not mixing years strips.

Late year bumpers pulled in like 70-72 vastly improves look.

Stickers IMHOP all should be placed on straight. Regardless of actual. This was intended design.
Example of bad is my jack lable. Full upside down. "Factory".
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

72 Challenger

Quote from: YellowThumper on May 22, 2020, 08:40:36 AM
To go with what many have stated I like the darker tail panels. Exception to that is mine. Y5 yellow. Dark contrast is too great and does not look good.
Agree with not mixing years strips.

Late year bumpers pulled in like 70-72 vastly improves look.

Stickers IMHOP all should be placed on straight. Regardless of actual. This was intended design.
Example of bad is my jack lable. Full upside down. "Factory".

I like those factory absurdities. When I put the decals back on my cars I always try and put them on there like I don't care. At an angle, some air bubbles etc.. Never upside down though.

Another one I thought of but not seen on here swapping the rear valence for one with exhaust cut outs. On both the cuda and the Challenger it really makes the rear end of the car. Unless it's a T/A or AAR. In the few cars in my area, I think all of them have done this change when restoring the car. I see it as one that is fairly easy to change back.
Someday I will have a J0b.

Burdar

QuoteAnother one I thought of but not seen on here swapping the rear valence for one with exhaust cut outs.

I added dual exhaust to my 318 Challenger Rallye.  In retrospect I wish I hadn't.

318Stroker

:iagree: Thank you for speaking up!

dodj

Quote from: 71383bee on May 22, 2020, 06:35:20 AM
I'd watch as people would stroll right past my original paint 71 EL5 roadrunner to go look at the 68 -70 cars. 
IMO, the '71 Roadrunner is the best one ever made.

I wonder if current model mustang owners get the 'frown face' derision applied to their cars. It's very similar styling.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

YellowThumper

Quote from: dodj on May 22, 2020, 11:40:03 AM
I'd watch as people would stroll right past my original paint 71 EL5 roadrunner to go look at the 68 -70 cars. 

I wonder if current model mustang owners get the 'frown face' derision applied to their cars. It's very similar styling.
Mustang is fish face...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

71383bee

Quote from: dodj on May 22, 2020, 11:40:03 AM

I hear you dodj.  I hope you realize that I'm mocking the derisive monikers here.  I'm a loud and proud late B and E owner!  I loved my 71 runner!  N96 with the louvers...it looked badass.  I also had a nice FC7 383 Super Bee.  Both outstanding examples of what the later B body platforms were but it was all too clear when it came time to sell or get judged at a show.  If there was a general b body or charger class and a 69 was there, the car would not place regardless of originality or condition.  I've seen the same with our E body's too.  Its not a surprise that our cars struggle in the E body classes if an earlier year car is present.  Against a nice real car its warranted but I've scene re-badged clones and others get more notoriety then a nicer original 72 and up car. Its unfortunate but people like what they like.   The monikers i shrug off as its mine and I know its badass and I got friends!     :cheers:   For the record the majority of folks on this site are very supportive of these outstanding cars for which I'm grateful for.  Especially you Burdar i truly meant no offense.

As for a mustang i honestly don't know or really care what people call them.  I think the earlier "new" styles looked better than the current versions so i can sympathize with the comparison.     I think for our cars its a bit more sad as the model was dropped in 74 and the last few years were more and more restrictive versus the earlier years.  Its a red badge of courage thing for me...I'm very proud to own one of the more rare versions of the last stand. 

This thing is straying from topic here but again I meant no offence here and we are brothers in the fight!    :console: :drinkingbud:

RUNCHARGER

I quite often swim against the tide. The 71 B-bodies are the best for me as well. The 68-70's are the most popular but I like the more modern feel of the 71's, the similar to E-body styling, along with the crazy amount of options available before everything dropped out in 72.
Sheldon

worthywads

Challengers without woodgrain insert on inner door panel.  My convertible was early 70 without and it just looked wrong.