Main Menu

Breaking into a Cuda trunk ? UPDATE

Started by anlauto, October 05, 2020, 04:43:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

What do you think the best way to break into a Cuda trunk is ? I had a guy has asked me to help him out because the rod has popped off of the lock cylinder...

My first thought was....remove the backseat, divider etc...try and reach over the spare tire, etc... but there's no slot in the latch to reach with a screwdirver....so what's next ? Undo the two latch bolts ?  or the striker bolts ? :pullinghair:

Has anybody just removed the gas tank filler neck, reach inside and flip the lever on the latch ? Is that possible ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

TGGodfrey

Has tank hole would be one way if you have smaller hands.  My attempt would be to pop the backseat out, reach over and loosen the spare, get that out of your way.  Then reach on and with a long screwdriver, remove the panel that covers the lock
Rod.  If you can't get to that, remove the latch bolts and you should be able
To get it.

TGGodfrey

Looking at my latch, remove the two 1/2 inch bolts that secure the latch and it should life right up.

dodj

Through the back seat worked for me on a Challenger. What's different on a cuda trunk latch?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on October 05, 2020, 06:06:20 PM
Through the back seat worked for me on a Challenger. What's different on a cuda trunk latch?

Because of the off-set trunk key location, the Cuda latch doesn't have the "screwdriver" slot like most other trunk latches including your Challenger...So you can't reach trough with a blade screwdriver to operate the latch. :bye:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Quote from: TGGodfrey on October 05, 2020, 06:06:19 PM
Looking at my latch, remove the two 1/2 inch bolts that secure the latch and it should life right up.
That's what I was thinking, but it's likely the rod is still attached which would decrease the amount you could lift open the lid quite a bit I would think... :thinking:

Ns1aar

Thake the back seat and divider out. Get a 1/2 inch socket and as many extensions as you can find and unbolt the latch.

anlauto

Quote from: Ns1aar on October 05, 2020, 07:23:24 PM
Thake the back seat and divider out. Get a 1/2 inch socket and as many extensions as you can find and unbolt the latch.

Yea, that might be the trick....I'm still thinking fuel filler tube might be quicker... :thinking:  and less work :headbang:

Ns1aar

If you have the extensions its pretty quick used this trick when I worked in a wrecking yard. We had a 4ft extension there

anlauto

4 FEET  :unbelievable:  Nothing like having "the right tool for the job" :haha: :haha:

SYDWAZ

:wave: I had this problem. I got a 4 ft. Price

:wave:  I had this problem on my AAR. Get a piece of pvc 4 ft. Long and half in I'd. Split the end up 5 or 6 in. And jam a square handle philips screw driver up into the pvc. Tape the driver handle to make it is secure. Reach in thru the back seat and undo the screws holding the shield over the rod.  With the shield off get a long 1x3 and place it at the left end of the rod and pry to the right and it should pop. It worked for me.

anlauto

I hope that was BEFORE I restored your car and not after  :o :unbelievable: :stop: :rubeyes: :console: :headbang:

Flatdad

? Whats the big deal? Just crawl through the bracing into the trunk to work on the latch up close. Unless he's a fat*** or something.

anlauto

The car and the guy might both have a spare tire in the way :haha: :haha:

tparker

Honestly, a lock pick.

I bought one a few months ago and within an hour I had a couple simple locks open. Not hard really. Amazon sells them for under $20. Those locks aren't that great.

What ever you do, DON"T DRILL IT OUT. LOL. I'm not sure what I was thinking or what I did, but I ruined the finishing panel trying to pry out the lock or something. I have no idea. Maybe It was the old owner. I know I drilled out the lock but I can't recall why the panel would be all messed up there. LOL.