Main Menu

Cuda door window felts/catwhiskers

Started by vinsar, July 05, 2020, 04:30:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

vinsar

My repro cat wiskers (mopar authentic resto) have square spring steel tabs and the mating holes on the doors have round holes that are too small.  I really don't want to drill the holes any larger cause the car is painted but think that's probably the only fix. (71 Cuda convertible) Any ideas?? Thanks.

anlauto

Buy the right ones for your car. You bought 1970 ones, you need 1971-74 ones  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

vinsar

Alan, my car does have 70 doors but I also have a set of later 72-74 doors and those holes are also small round???

Jay Bee

My original 1970 door in the picture, I believe all '70 doors should have slots, not round holes.

anlauto

Quote from: vinsar on July 05, 2020, 05:01:27 PM
Alan, my car does have 70 doors but I also have a set of later 72-74 doors and those holes are also small round???

1970 doors have slots for the clips you mentioned, like in John's picture above....some early 71's as well. In 71 they switched to screws :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

69BFan

@vinsar, if you purchased the Top Catwhiskers, I can sell you just the correct outer felts that you need for the doors.  If you should be either attending the upcoming Carlisle or The Nats, bring the felts to the show and we can swap out. 

Not exactly sure which brand of felts that you purchased as our Top Catwhiskers do not carry the "Authentic Mopar Restoration Part" branding.  But your vendor may have added the sticker or they may be one of the older set of felts as provided by FPAP.

Unless things change, I will be out of town most of the upcoming week for the Carlisle event, if you should reach out to me.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

Jay Bee

There's other tell tale signs between '70 and '71up doors too.
The L O N G indent was to accommodate the 1970 only window regulator.
Sorry if this is considered a "hijack", maybe I should have stared a new thread showing the differences. 

vinsar

Thanks for all of the info, I ordered a set this morning. What is different about the 70 only window regulator? do they still work in 71 on up cars??

Jay Bee

I didn't think a '70 manual regulator would work in a '71+ door but I just looked at my car that has both 71+ doors and it looks like a '70 regulator is in the right side one.

There was a video (since taken down) showing that the '70 regulator with the extra teeth interfered with a '71+ inner door frame. Unfortunately I can't remember if the car in the video was a Cuda or Challenger or if that would even make a difference.

All that being said, I don't know what to tell ya.

Jay Bee

Research, research, research. I think I figured this out now. If you have a Cuda any regulator will work in any door. My car is a testament to that. Not so with a Challenger. Looks like you can't use a '70 regulator (with the extra teeth) in a '71+ door because the teeth need that L O N G  indent for clearance when the window is down. That's all because the regulator mounts higher in a Challenger.