Main Menu

Driving classics, or cars in general

Started by 1 Wild R/T, June 25, 2018, 01:55:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Recently I was talking with another classic car owner & he made the comment he's never had his car in a skid......

Personally I've had practically every car (classic & daily driver)  I've ever driven more than twenty miles in a skid, intentionally, under controlled conditions...  I like to experience what the car is gonna do when stuff goes wrong so I have a chance of reacting to it.....

Every time I go to a place where there's snow on the ground I find a place to intentionally brake/steer to aggressively....  I'd rather learn it in a controlled situation...

If your gonna drive them I think it's best you get it a little out of control in a controlled environment so that if things go wrong some where you have an idea what the car is gonna do....

It's something I learned early & something I've always felt should be taught to younger drivers.... 

Course these days cars have so much stuff built into them it's much less important.... We've taken driving out of driving....

So.. Am I crazy?  Yeah I know..... :rofl:

303 Mopar

I was just having this conversation with my middle son who is about to start driving lessons. I told him how when I was his age whenever it snowed we would find a big empty parking lot and practice sliding around to get the feel for turning into a turn.  And it we had a blast doing it!   :banana:

1 Wild R/T

yeah, I think snow is especially important to get a feel for but I do it to some extent on dry pavement to.... Especially with our old cars cause they sometimes do unexpected things when pushed to far....

IRON MAN

I bought a new 2000 Corvette. After getting use to the manners of the car, I exited the freeway at 90 mph going slightly downhill and entering a sharp turn to the left under the freeway. The corvette went into a much anticipated four-wheel drift sideways but I  could not pull out of it because the on-board computer cut off the fuel injection until the car slowed down to about 60, then the f.i. came back on. That was an unpleasant surprise. Glad I discovered that early. Another time doing 156 mph and the vette still pulling hard, slammed on the brakes with no hands on the steering wheel, and the vette came to a controlled stop. That was a pleasant surprise. Decided to sell the car two weeks later and live a long life.

ledphoot

I used to love sliding my cars around.. Last winter we were driving my truck in the snow and it got pretty sideways, my wife was freaking out, I just dealt with it, got us back on track and she was like "You seemed like you enjoyed that"... My response was a simple "Yup"... :)

They actually have classes where they teach you how to do all this stuff on a closed course, always wanted to do that and up my skills. I took a Bob Bondurant course back in the day and it's amazing what you can learn from professional instructors.

Brads70

I suspect those of us that have to contend with winter driving usually have a better grasp on driving  when things get out of control . I hate FWD cars as I'm so used to steering with the throttle in snow/slippery conditions.  When I get a "new to me" vehicle I usually find an empty parking lot to play. I drive in a circle till I figure out what end slides out first. 

tparker

Can't wait to get my car back on the road and try some skidding  :) Last time it was on the road I was 19 and the tires were bald, so I did plenty of that and I'm sure I'll do some more on occasion. In reality though, you gotta know how a car handles in emergencies.

Tom

1 Wild R/T

Yeah, I was surprised to hear an "enthusiast" say he'd never had any of his cars in a slide/skid.... I've always wanted to know how it acts when pushed, after hearing his thoughts I was wondering if I was the only one that feels the need to push to far when I know I can do it safely....  Apparently not & I'm glad cause I think the experience makes you a better driver....

GoodysGotaCuda

I've had the 'Cuda loose far more times than I can count. I feel like knowing the limits in good and "bad" situations makes me a better driver, and yes I do enjoy letting it fishtail a bit. I've pushed it a few times faster than I should have with no traction, however [60+mph]. I haven't had it come around me since I was just a puppy.

Some of my younger fwd-driving friends have commented how "easy it is to control"...but I have been doing that for quite some time, when it gets sketchy, keep the throttle DOWN!  :burnout:

The WRX is a bit difficult to get "loose" but I do know where the car is good and where it's not, when it's on the brink of understeer, how hard I can rip the wheel, etc.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

I live to drift , snow , ice , or asphalt , I like being slidways & controlling with the throttle  :stayinlane: :burnout:

71-440

You learn a lot when you push the limits. Done it all with every car I owned.
Joe

mopar jack

Some things never change, kids around here spin donuts at every corner!

cuda hunter

I tend to push the limits. 

Every toy I've ever had has it's limits tested
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

dodj

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 25, 2018, 04:22:07 PM
Yeah, I was surprised to hear an "enthusiast" say he'd never had any of his cars in a slide/skid.... I've always wanted to know how it acts when pushed, after hearing his thoughts I was wondering if I was the only one that feels the need to push to far when I know I can do it safely....  Apparently not & I'm glad cause I think the experience makes you a better driver....
You need to push to find it's limits. I recently bought a Ram 3500 Cummins. The salesman couldn't understand why I was turning, braking and accelerating so hard. I told him I said 'buckle up and hold on' for a reason. lol. How else you gonna know how a vehicle handles in an emergency situation?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill