Main Menu

electric washer motor to reservoir attachment

Started by Burdar, October 22, 2021, 07:44:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

Is there supposed to be a plastic washer under the plastic nut/filter that attaches the electric washer motor to the reservoir? The new motor doesn't come with one.  Tightening down the nut onto the rubber grommet without a washer doesn't feel right. 

benguin

Mine does not have an extra washer- it just snugs down to the collar on the pump.

When you have the pump out, does the strainer basket/nut inside the reservoir seem to thread all the way on? 
  Ben

Burdar

The pump is being installed in a custom aluminum tank but I'm using the factory style grommet.  It just doesn't seem right that the nut spins down onto the rubber without a washer.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything if I made one.

benguin

Agreed- having an additional washer shouldn't hurt.  The main item is to snug things down enough to create a seal with the grommet. Without the washer, the strainer serves that purpose along with the flange on the pump.

You should be good (if it doesn't leak).  :bigthumb:

blown motor

@Burdar I just replace the pump in the 78 truck I bought. Yes there is a plastic washer between the grommet and the nut/filter. It came with the pump.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

I've done them both with and without the washer, never had an issue with leaks  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Floyd

Burdar

I thought I remembered there being one on the Challenger so I looked through my pictures and found pics of my 73 Challenger's original pump.  There is a washer on it.

I have another original pump here and thought it was the one from my Dart but it is not.  The Darts pump has a downward facing hose nipple.  This one has a side exit and is identical to my 73 Challenger pump.  It has a 0673 code on it.(date code I assume?)  I used to own another 73 Challenger so this one must be from that.  Searching around in my junk, somehow I found a nylon washer pump washer.  How that happened I do not know.

What's up with the side exit hose nipple?  I thought I read that 70-71 had the side exit and then it was superseded to a bottom exit.

dodj

I got a repro from Mega and theirs came with a washer.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Floyd

@Burdar I'm one of the people who think the side exit is correct for 70-71 but who knows?  I've seen both styles on original washer bottles.

I'm looking for parts for a side exit to restore, so if you want to sell that one let me know.

Thanks

Burdar

I think my repro is from Van's and it didn't have a washer with it.

QuoteI'm one of the people who think the side exit is correct for 70-71 but who knows?

My dad bought my Challenger new so I know it originally had a side exit.  The other pump has a 73 date so that's correct also.  These little variances on parts are kind of interesting.  I'll probably keep this extra one incase the original one on the Challenger goes bad.  Especially if all the repros have a downward facing exit.