Main Menu

Enclosed trailer question

Started by cuda hunter, May 01, 2021, 09:07:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

Does a cuda fit inside of a 7' wide by 18' long trailer?

I know they are about 16' long but I need to know if 7' is too thin for towing one. 

The trailer I'm looking at has a drivers side large door for getting out of the car when in the trailer.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

crackedback

you'll have roughly 4" on each side.

Car is ~75" wide in an 84" space.

cuda hunter

That's why everyone runs 8.5 wide trailers I suspect. 

Thanks for the measurements.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

JH27N0B

E bodies are tough getting out of when inside trailers.  I have a friend who transports cars often and he talks negatively about "fat E bodies".  :angry:
I want to get a trailer soon, and I'd prefer one of those trailers where a big section of the left side pivots up and the inner fender removes to make getting in and out of the car a breeze ($$ though), or maybe I'll just get a winch and use that to get the car in and out of a conventional enclosed.

RUNCHARGER

I winch them in but you still have to get to the front to tie the front wheels properly.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

That's a different door though, a door towards the right side front of the trailer to get in to access the front of the car, or any gear or tools you have stored in the nose of the trailer.
Not to hijack the OPs thread, but do any left side trailer doors really help much in getting in and out of a trailer?
I've gotten out of my car after pulling it into an enclosed, and it's not easy!  I'm not overweight but as a middle aged guy it would help to be a little bit of a contortionist to do it!
That style with the left side section that pivots up looks doable, but otherwise I don't think even with a side door, you can open the car door over 10-12" max.  My friend I mentioned who transports actually climbs out through the window and puts his left foot down on the trailer inner fender to get out.
Now that I have a truck I'm planning to get a trailer soon, and think a winch will be the only way to go.

anlauto

I think 18' is pretty tight, nothing is more of a pain in the butt then crawling under the front of the car to tie it down...unless maybe if it was a V nose with a door right on the front V  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GrandpaKevin

I love the escape door on my trailer, wouldn't have one without it.

The trailer is 22' and the Challenger is pretty tight, not much room in the front but the shorter trailer fits perfectly where I store it.

If you plan to haul a car plus tools, equipment, ATV etc. you might want to go at least 24'

I have wood planks on the floor in front of the trailer to raise the car high enough to open the car door.

cuda hunter

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on May 02, 2021, 05:41:54 PM
I love the escape door on my trailer, wouldn't have one without it.

The trailer is 22' and the Challenger is pretty tight, not much room in the front but the shorter trailer fits perfectly where I store it.

If you plan to haul a car plus tools, equipment, ATV etc. you might want to go at least 24'

I have wood planks on the floor in front of the trailer to raise the car high enough to open the car door.

Good idea with the wood planks. 
Mostly I'm looking for a cheaper square body trailer just to get this car to carlisle this year and back.  I'm sure I'll be looking for the right trailer for some time. 
Not planning on having a bunch of tools in the trailer but I'll consider a 22 or24 if one pops up for the right price. 
   I am a bargain hunter of course but it appears that enclosed trailers have also all gone to Texas and Florida.  Usually i can find an enclosed pretty easy but they are all gone. 

Brads70

Who are you kidding Josh! With all the treasures you'll find at Carlisle go bigger!  :Stirring: :haha: :cheers:

7E-Bodies

I wish someone would rent these. I can't quite justify buying one (yet) for as often as I'd actually need one.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

JH27N0B

There are places that rent enclosed trailers.  You have to search to see if the nearest place that does is 10 miles away from you or 100 though!

70 Top Banana

My 24 foot enclosed trailer was a Continental. It was 8.5 wide and it was tight with an ebody. It did not have a left hand door and I had to crawl out the window without chipping or scratching anything. I quit that and used the winch that was mounted inside the trailer. Had a remote control and it worked great. I could run the cable all the way outside, hook the car, leave in neutral, steer it a little to square up in the trailer door and boom, done. Strap it down and go.

Bossgold

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on May 03, 2021, 04:38:29 PM
I wish someone would rent these. I can't quite justify buying one (yet) for as often as I'd actually need one.

Be careful what you wish for. I just rented one and the axle Bearing burned up outside of Odessa TX. The parts are tough to get. I'm waiting on a new axle from Lippert Components. There are Dexter and Lippert axle 'equalizer' trailers and when the bearings fail often it will require replacing an axle. So if you rent a Enclosed trailer have a qualified trailer place inspect/repack the wheels or do it yourself before you leave. The rental place showed me their maintenance check list.....didn't help on the I-20 in the middle of no where. I'll buy my own trailer now, keep extra parts ( buy an extra axle and hang it securely on the wall), grease and tools (ramp for lifting trailer wheels), chains and straps (lifting/secure axle when wheel fails) and a floor jack for sure.  What was amazing to me was how in this covid world so few shops had the time to help a stranded motorist. Your on your own - and your beloved car will need to be safe.

cuda hunter

Wow.  That sounds like a terrible trip.  I had not thought about carrying an extra axle with me.
I have extra bearings I carry, but not an axle.

I did get a flat in Pennsylvania and didn't have a tire lock for the rim so I couldn't get the rim off. It took me forever to find someone to help.  Everyone I called said 5 hours or more possibly the next day.  While I sat on the side of a road.  Got lucky on that one as a shop was just around the bend and they helped me. But finding help was a bleak process. 

Hope you found everything you needed and your not still sitting on the side of the road with a rental trailer.