Main Menu

Enclosed trailer question

Started by cuda hunter, May 01, 2021, 09:07:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bossgold

Quote from: cuda hunter on November 30, 2021, 07:23:44 AM
Wow.  That sounds like a terrible trip.  I had not thought about carrying an extra axle with me.
I have extra bearings I carry, but not an axle.

I did get a flat in Pennsylvania and didn't have a tire lock for the rim so I couldn't get the rim off. It took me forever to find someone to help.  Everyone I called said 5 hours or more possibly the next day.  While I sat on the side of a road.  Got lucky on that one as a shop was just around the bend and they helped me. But finding help was a bleak process. 

Hope you found everything you needed and your not still sitting on the side of the road with a rental trailer.

Yes, many places won't touch it if the axle got red hot because they don't want the liability. Most trailer repair will just replace the whole axle - brakes and all -  cause its easier....no welding. the axle was $ 495 plus shipping from Lippert. The Look dealer in McGregor TX had one in stock for $ 795.....hmmmm covid?  BTW, 20 foot trailer X 8.5 feet with 6 wheel lug minimum 10, 000 LB GVWR is the way to go. It was perfect size and not to big because you have to think about where you'll park this thing at night as well as gas station geography...etc.  This trailer was 7,000 lb (5 lug wheels) and its a stretch cause the car weights 3,500 and the trailer is 3,500. 10, 000 lb and up right now is hard to find because of the supply chain but when you load it up it will be much safer. The Trailer VIN had the mapping to the Serial number of the Lippert Axle and they use that to make sure I got all the right/correct parts. Also, make sure your trailer has an open/truss frame. Reason is the PACE trailer I was using had a solid frame and nothing to attach the bad axle too. THis would have been easy to just chain up the tandem axle bad wheel to the frame(hence the floor jack low enough) and drive slowly on 3 wheels to a more populated area.....but the damn trailer didn't have anything to strap/chain too. This is why you buy.....so you do the right maintenance, have the right parts on hand( Trailer VIN and Axle Serial number) and don't need a crash course lesson on how to get rolling again.

Bossgold

Quote from: cuda hunter on November 30, 2021, 07:23:44 AM
Wow.  That sounds like a terrible trip.  I had not thought about carrying an extra axle with me.
I have extra bearings I carry, but not an axle.

I did get a flat in Pennsylvania and didn't have a tire lock for the rim so I couldn't get the rim off. It took me forever to find someone to help.  Everyone I called said 5 hours or more possibly the next day.  While I sat on the side of a road.  Got lucky on that one as a shop was just around the bend and they helped me. But finding help was a bleak process. 

Hope you found everything you needed and your not still sitting on the side of the road with a rental trailer.

And no, there was nothing in stock locally so I am in a hotel in Big Spring TX waiting on a new axle/install from the Lippert Dealer. Good news was Gary at the 'The Trailer Guys West' Big Spring Texas stepped up Monday after I broke down Sunday morning at 8 AM. Most places said they were to busy to look at the trailer. Parts are coming while I wait or go and get a Uhaul open trailer for now. A lesson in today's Humanity in the USA!

cuda hunter

I'm assuming the rental company is paying for the axle replacement.  I would hope so. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

rftroy

Also, that 7 foot wide trailer has two wheel wells protruding into the enclosure. I haven't measured mine, but they appear to be around 8 inches each.
The stock track of a 70 barracuda is about 70 inches, and that's wheel center to center. Add about 9 inches to get outside to outside of tire sidewall, and you'll be close to line to line, or interfering with the wheel wells.

Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

Bossgold

Quote from: cuda hunter on November 30, 2021, 08:00:16 AM
I'm assuming the rental company is paying for the axle replacement.  I would hope so.

I don't know and don't care. I learned the hard way this car is my baby.....I'll do what it takes to make sure its gets to where I'm going and back home safely. The reason I rented an enclosed was because I only used an open trailer on short trips....and did not want to have the car sitting in hotel parking lots at night since I was going to Arkansas. I will never do this again! Its insurance and to me my car is priceless....don't do what I did and have to wait on other people's urgency to fix the problem. Right now Hotel parking lots are cheap(broken enclosed trailer) compared to having an open broken down trailer with my car sitting exposed. I have learned a valuable lesson....trust me!

TGGodfrey

I agree with BossGold.....Buy your own.  you are relying on people who see a money ticket with renting trailers.  Most don't actually do a lot of trailering so the maint is often overlooked.

I bought mine when all the elkhart welders quit building trailers and moved over to the camper industry in 2018 (higher paid welding).  Because of that, i was not able to order one the way I wanted it yet I still got a 24' Cargomate with 10400 lb axle pair.  The price of a 22 to a 24 was a matter of 200.00.  I went 24' and so happy I did.  My Bee is 17.5 feet long and its nice to be able to lay down comfortably as I strap it down. I added a large winch with cordless control for loading......So easy and nice.  I installed an Onboard Deep Cycle on the tongue to power that.  Battery also gives me the ability to use the interior lights when not hooked to the truck.  I epoxy coated the floor with garage floor paint..... its been 2 years and it holds up awesome.  Mop and go floor!

The only option I wanted was the escape hatch on the drivers side.....that is a 1000.00 option and frankly if I ever want it....... I'll build one and cut it into the frame.  Advantages of being a welder.  With the winch...... I have not needed one.

Look up RV dehumidifiers sold through home depot.  They are powerless and I am told they make all the difference inside.  I get moisture in mine so when i leave a car in there for weeks i will notice signs of moisture on the alum.  You will soon find your new trailer becomes a hobby in its own!

T.