Main Menu

Firm Feel Stage 2 or Stage 3

Started by Bossgold, February 19, 2019, 08:48:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Bossgold

Read thru some posts but still wondering what members recommend for Firm Feel and a 1970 AAR Cuda.  Firm feel says Stage 2 is the most popular but stage 3 has the most posts here. I like tightness in the steering and I don't plan to race around a track. I just know when I drove a T/A the steering was crazy loose at 55 MPH. I would like a good balance of parking yet I would prefer higher speed tightness - Any thoughts are appreciated Thanks

b5cuda

Haven't tried stage III so can't compare, but I am really happy with stage II in my '69 cuda.  Been running it for ten years already, a great improvement over OEM. 

Bossgold

thanks B5cuda .....how does it drive at high speed.......cause firm feel says that stage 3 is firm and at first I will need to get used to it......don't know what that means. So hope to hear about more examples

b5cuda

Stage II is steady at high speed and easy to handle when parallel parking, does not have that over-assisted feel the stock units tend to give.  I do 4-5,000 miles/year with no complaints.

Brads70

I've had stage 3 for almost 10 years now.... I like it :alan2cents:

dodj

I have a box from steer and gear that is supposed to be the same as a firm feel stage 2. I like it and is far better than stock, but I think I should have bought a stage three.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

I would suggest stage 3 , overall it has a tight modern feel

gzig5

Quote from: Brads70 on February 19, 2019, 10:54:43 AM

Did you see/feel a difference when you went to the big meats on the front from what you had before? I know you have some geometry changes with non-stock parts in the front end, does that affect the effort?

soundcontrol

I picked stage 2, FF recommended it, and I kinda like that I can steer my Challenger with one finger. But I do not like the stock steering at high speeds though. So right in between that and a modern tighter feel would be perfect. Have not tried it yet.

Bossgold

great points, 4 degree pos camber with bigger tires (245's) effect the effort? alot or not by much?  Finally since my car is a four speed, turning will often be with one hand does anyone feel that's a big difference or something to consider?   BTW thanks for all the input

Brads70

Quote from: gzig5 on February 19, 2019, 01:01:54 PM

Did you see/feel a difference when you went to the big meats on the front from what you had before? I know you have some geometry changes with non-stock parts in the front end, does that affect the effort?

No can't say I noticed a difference in steering effort when I went to the bigger tires up front. It still power steering and stage 3 is nothing like manual steering.

dodj

Quote from: Bossgold on February 19, 2019, 01:40:17 PM
great points, 4 degree pos camber with bigger tires (245's) effect the effort? alot or not by much?  Finally since my car is a four speed, turning will often be with one hand does anyone feel that's a big difference or something to consider?   BTW thanks for all the input
My car is a 440 4sp, my front tires are 255's. I think my stage two is a little light. It's good, way better than stock, I just think a stage three would be better.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Ric

Quote from: soundcontrol on February 19, 2019, 01:36:54 PM
I picked stage 2, FF recommended it, and I kinda like that I can steer my Challenger with one finger. But I do not like the stock steering at high speeds though. So right in between that and a modern tighter feel would be perfect. Have not tried it yet.
I also choose this as F.F  recommended it, should be receiving it soon... :bigthumb:

gzig5

Quote from: Brads70 on February 19, 2019, 02:11:25 PM
Quote from: gzig5 on February 19, 2019, 01:01:54 PM

No can't say I noticed a difference in steering effort when I went to the bigger tires up front. It still power steering and stage 3 is nothing like manual steering.

Thanks.  Reason I ask is my BMW has a Sport button which changes the power steering assist rate, among other things.  When I went from 245 to 275 front tires on that car, there was a noticeable change in steering effort at low speed and in sport mode it felt a little like manual steering effort.  But, the feel at speed was perfect.

dave73

I have a steer and gear stage 3, I love the feel