Main Menu

headlight upgrade

Started by jordan, April 28, 2018, 10:39:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jordan

Hi Guys,

I bought new lenses and bulbs.  I chose the LED h4 6000 bulbs.  I bought four of them.  As I took off my first set of lights, and began to reinstall, I see that I have my Low/High Beam light harness socket with a three prong connector, and my High beam socket is a 2 prong.  Does this mean I need 2 H4s and 2 H7s to plug in correctly?  It looks like I need to exhange a set of H4s for H7s.  Car is a 71 Cuda.  Thanks
"Don't brake until you see God!"

RUNCHARGER

Take some photos of them for us, I imagine they are too modern looking for me but you never know.
Sheldon

70chall440

For whatever it is worth, I recently replaced the stock 9007 bulbs in my daughter's Dakota with LEDs, amazing difference. I will be going to LED's on everything over time.
Mopar or no car!!!

YellowThumper

Don't have suggestions to offer on the bulbs of choice. However, I will attest to the stated "cheap" replacements being dangerous to others on the road. I live in socal and have lengthy drive for work. There is always someone in front shining at me and even from behind with lighting that is blinding. 9 times out of 10 it is the PepBoys type special custom with them. Ironically they frequently have burned out lights also.
My point is buy the quality for longevity and safety of everyone else out there.

Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

Looks like H7 would work or you could just run a pigtail to the 3 connector on the bulb so all of the emitters are on

shawge

I had the same problem w/ my four H1s.  I wired the bulbs to the correct lo/hi circuit. To get the lo to be
on when the hi is I wired up my relays  to have the hi circuit trigger the lo circuit.

Post some pics when you get it wired up.  I'm curious about the light output of the LED bulbs.

Quote from: jordan on May 27, 2018, 10:47:54 PM
Hi Guys,

I bought new lenses and bulbs.  I chose the LED h4 6000 bulbs.  I bought four of them.  As I took off my first set of lights, and began to reinstall, I see that I have my Low/High Beam light harness socket with a three prong connector, and my High beam socket is a 2 prong.  Does this mean I need 2 H4s and 2 H7s to plug in correctly?  It looks like I need to exhange a set of H4s for H7s.  Car is a 71 Cuda.  Thanks
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

jordan

Well, after a lot of perseverating, and reading, and watching videos, I have come to the conclusion that buying LED bulbs are like getting random products that may or may not work.  I won't know until I buy something and install it.  Soooo many styles and types of emitters that my head started spinning.  So I decided to get one brand of H4 and H7 bulbs from one dealer and hope that they will have quality, brightness, and most importantly a good light pattern.  If they suck, I will send them back.  I don't know what else to do.  The best reviewed product I found with excellent brightness and light pattern cost $200-250 per pair.  I am not spending over $500 to do this.  I don't drive at night much, and will end up living with what I get as long as it isnt worse than stock.  Im frustrated and I have barely begun.  If it works for me I will post brand and part numbers and vendors so somebody else doesn't have to struggle with all the choices in the LED market.  Bulbs should be her next week.   :angry: 

RUNCHARGER

Thanks: Yes these days there is too much choice sometimes. Sometimes I miss the days of Cibie low beams and aircraft landing lights for high beams.
Sheldon

jordan

The saga continues.  I got new LED bulbs in the mail today.  The H4s inserted easily.  I was happy.  Then when I tried to install my new H7 low beams, I find out the mounting ring is different for H7 vs H4!!  The mount is much smaller on the H7 and would not be even close to fill the hole in my new H4 lenses.  I did a quick search for H7 replacement 5 3/4 round lenses and found nothing.  I left messages with both vendors to see if there is an adaptor ring that I can buy separately.  I have seen many adaptors listed, but cannot find a specific H7 to H4 adaptor.  So here I sit yet again. 
  If no ring is available, I should be able to do a little fabrication to make it work.  The H4 lenses came with a "plug" for the bulb hole so nothing gets inside the lens during shipping.  The plug is disposable and useless when a bulb is inserted.  When I did some looking at the way the plug is made, I think I can cut the center out with a dremel, and glue the H7 adaptor to it so it should work.  I will wait a day or two to see if I can find a specific adaptor ring that will work, but will probably have to fabricate the plug to fit the H7 adaptor.  I don't think it will be a difficult job.  The problem is that if the light pattern is bad, I just wrecked the adaptor and won't be able to return the bulbs.  And if I have to try another set to get it right, I will then be out of plugs to modify to make it all work.  It is only $25, but it is still $25 for a $2 adaptor.  I suppose I can always break down and figure out how to rewire a H4 into a 2 plug socket, or change my 2 plug socket to a 3 plug socket.  I hate wiring.  Once I get the next detail figured out, I will let the forum know what I got to make it work.  Just wasting more time.   :pullinghair:

Chryco Psycho

Your lst sentence is what I would be doing , Just change to a 3 connector plug jump the 2 wires so the inner light is only on with high beam & all of the emmitters come on together , simple

Chryco Psycho

Headlight pattern against a white wall using LED 160 w in my Caravan stock housings , no I don't get flashed by oncoming drivers

Tantster

Looking to upgrade my 70 Challenger before the power tour. Are the LED's the way to go?

Chryco Psycho

I love the LEDs lower power draw light up faster , cut off clean almost knife edge line where the light stops , more powerful & whiter light , really no downside

7212Mopar

I am running led for low beam and kept the halogen bulb for the high beam. The housing was purchased off eBay and have glass lens. I need to find a wall and level ground so that I can aim the lights.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket