Main Menu

Hemi and AAR Factory Rolled lip front fenders

Started by CudaTime, June 18, 2017, 12:38:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudino

No problem CudaTime, glad to help.  And congrats on the cool car!  I had one other thought.  If you still have your original spare that might give you a clue.  If I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I'm wrong), if your original spare is 14" then you must have received 14" tires from the get-go.  If you had a space-saver then I don't think it's clear, because on E-bodies I think the space saver was standard with most (all?) 15" tires but still optional on 14" tires.  Anyway, if you have your original spare that might help.  And I'm still crossing my fingers that you'll find a sheet.

Burdar, I seem to remember that Moparts thread as well, but I don't remember the details.  But I'm positive that wheel opening mouldings were deleted from Hemi E-bodies starting from ~SPD Feb-1970.  Referring to code "M26" on the broadcast sheets (not a fender tag item, only on the sheet), you'll find that all Hemi E-bodies up through Jan-1970 will have this M26 option coded.  But every later 1970, and every single 1971, Hemi E-body sheet I've seen does NOT have this option coded.  So I'm comfortable in saying that every Hemi E-body after this date won't have mounting holes in the fenders, assuming the line workers assembled these cars correctly.  As for when and where the fenders were rolled, either on the earlier cars (~Nov-Feb 1970 timeframe) or later cars (from ~March 1970 onwards, meaning after the "Hemi Fender" tag was introduced) is unclear to me.  I have my own opinions as to when/where this would have been done, but I really don't know so this would just be my opinion.  As for the trimming of the wheel opening mouldings during the ~Nov-Jan 1970 timeframe, I'm sure you're exactly right that this deviation procedure caused problems, which almost certainly led to the decision of deleting them altogether from the broadcast sheets of future Hemi Ebodies.

- Wade

anlauto

Certainly glad to have you on board here wade  :worship: :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

CudaTime

spare tire is long gone.
I am going to go and pull one of the steel wheels off, look for paint traces.
Then look at the snubbers on lower control arms as well.
This should tell me definitively if it had 15" wheels.
So is it common or even possible for the wheel option, and 3.23 sure grip to not be present on fender tag?
was it later that they started adding them?   :thinking:

anlauto

Wheel options were never on a fender tag. The gear ratio would be, but not 3:23's  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

axle package would be on a fender tag (A36 3.55s or A31 3.91s) all other combinations wouldn't be

the November - January time frame hand "rolled" HEMI fenders are rumored to have been done at Creative Industries and the survival of wheel lip mouldings varied on a car to car basis

@Cudino good call on the "spare"  @CudaTime  is your spare tire mounting stud still installed in the trunk?  it was mounted in a different position full-size VS. space-saver spare
space-saver spare was a MANDATORY OPTION  :bigmoney: on e-bodies with 15" tires

approximately 20% of 383 'cudas had E60-15 tires

6bblgt

Quote from: CudaTime on June 20, 2017, 09:29:46 AM
Oops, Here it is.

@CudaTime   Does your 'cuda have M31 "belt mouldings" (tops of doors/quarters) on it?

CudaTime

6bblgt

CudaTime

Yes the mount is still on it. I think i have a pic here if you can see it.

6bblgt

that would be pretty convincing evidence that the car had 14" wheels/tires originally

CudaTime

Im kind of guessing here, but id say by the way that mount stud or bolt looks it had a full size spare?
Which means 14" wheels from factory?

usraptor

I factory ordered a "70 'Cuda in Oct of 1969.  It was a 383, 4-speed with 3:55 sure grip rear end.  I ordered the E60-15 Polyglas tires on steel wheels with dog dish hub caps.  It did not have rolled fenders and did have the fender moldings.  I didn't have any issues with the tires rubbing until I replaced the steel factory wheels with aftermarket aluminum mag wheels.  The off set was different on the mags and the right front tire rubbed on the fender at full lock.  We solved the problem by putting a spacer between the lower front valance and the lower fender bolt.  It moved the fender out just enough that the tire didn't rub and it wasn't noticeable.