Main Menu

How long did it take you to build you car

Started by Shoooter, June 04, 2018, 11:13:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

PLUM72

Started as a P.O.S. high school cruiser.  I blew up the trans, pulled that and then the "while you're at it" began.  8 years later it was restored by me.  I did all the body and paint in a 1-1/2 car garage.  Learning from family and friends around me.  It was low budget.  I had to buy alot of tools and parts along the way so it took time.  I screwed up a lot and had to redo things multiple times during those 8 years, but I wouldn't change much from those learning experiences.  I agree with the post above, these cars are never really done.  In some cases the project is more fun than the finished result.  I've had my car for almost 30 years now.  It's held up very well, but could use a bit of a refresh.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

1 Wild R/T

Bought my current vert in May of 95, Had it on the road in July of 96.... Drove it 500 miles down to Las Vegas in August of 96...

82firebird

Not a mopar but I can relate. Life takes precedence and that is OK!

8 years total. That is 7 1/2 years of marriage, 2 little boys, 2 homes, and a gazillion dollars later..  :clapping:

My wife and I did everything except the final paint. She was 9mo. pregnant when we installed the engine and fuel system.

A whole lot of frustration, but in the end, when the project is said and done.. it will always be about the "journey" that was the best for us. We never built this car for notoriety and I still don't care about trophies, etc. but this is our story.

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2018/03/21/leading-lady-aaron-lauren-millers-1968-mustang-eleanor-tribute/

ToxicWolf

There are people that actually finish their cars?  :console:

BIGSHCLUNK

12 years of upgrades and repairs....... it doen't stop..........  And as it goes... rust never sleeps... Just found a very $#itty welded in patch that I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE...  :headbang: She still looks great at 20 ft (at least to me).. but I know almost all her secrets. Others I'm afraid to know.  :pokeeye:

cordodge

12 years later lol.

70/6chall

Really hard to place a time frame here. Bought my '70 Slant6 Challenger in 1973 daily driver for the next 32 years. With a half million miles on the clock I retired it finally in 2005. It's been kept very well over the years in cruising and show condition even as a driver. Sort of a rolling resto, like painting the Golden Gate Bridge, start at one end replacing parts as they wear out, paint, clean from one end to the other , has been painted 3 times since new. Then start all over. Never garage kept but covered in the driveway, and NO major body damage or accidents, very few rust issues,  after 45 years it's still a great looking car. Runs and sounds well..........for a six.   Thanks,   Al

YellowThumper

35 years. On 5th iteration and still ongoing.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

chargerdon

Ive done two cars..   First was a 66 Charger 383 auto.   It needed an engine rebuild, complete interior redo, a lot of panel rust repair and then a final paint job.   Then the torqueflite needed rebuilt.   I did everything myself (with help from the wife) with the exception of the torqueflite rebuild, and the final paint job.   Bought it in 2005 and got it road worthy in 2011 so 6 years...this was mostly evening and weekend work as i had a full time job. 

Second car was my 74 Challenger....  It needed a lot of sheet metal repair to the rear qtrs, trunk floor, and rear window panel..   The interior had already been re-upholstered by previous owner.   The engine was a professional rebuild that came with the car in a crate.
Put in new windshield, rear window, new carpeting,  new console, new radio, new dash pad, new vintage air system and installed the engine.   This time i took out the 904 torqueflite and overhauled it myself...quite proud of myself for that one.   Did everything myself, with the exception of  final paint job.   Being retired, i did this one in about 18 months.   

jordan

After a year of collecting parts, I finally blew it apart, did most everything myself, and got it back together and driving, it took me three years.  I spent another year getting dialed in and tuned.  Somethings never go as planned, so more wrenching as time goes on.  It seems like it is never done.  But from taking it apart and back to driving was 3 years. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

jt4406

Bought my car Sept 2000, worked on it, off and on, for 13 years. Retired Sept 2013, spent the next 9 months assembling it. Finally drove it out of my garage May of 2014, so I guess it took me 14 years. Put 5500 miles on it since, really satisfying to drive!  :bigthumb:
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

usraptor

82firebird - beautiful job on your Eleanor!  :clapping:  One of my favorite non-Mopars!  :worship:

As for me it's been 9 years.  I did have to take 3 years off, at different times, for two major back surgeries and a total knee replacement.  Did everything myself except the body work and paint and engine short block.  Bought it in 2009 and just finished in May 2018.  But as has been said over and over, they're never done.  Still lot's of minor upgrades/details to tend to next winter and beyond.  But at least now I can actually drive it.! :banana: :stayinlane:

HP_Cuda

We'll call it 4 years start to finish. Wow it's been quite the road.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

RUNCHARGER

My two last cars I bought as painted shells. It took about a year each to assemble them. A lot of time is wasted waiting for parts, engine machining etc. When I was single I would do a complete car in a winter. That included replacing quarters, hammer forming new sheetmetal parts, paint, upholstery, engine rebuild etc.
Sheldon

jimynick

Well, if you count that time from the date of acquisition, then I'd be in for about 35 years. OMG, I can't believe it really was that long! It languished in indoor storage for most of those years and I only really got into it 3-4 years ago when I had it media blasted and found out that it'd turned into a lace table cloth. The real slog took about 4 months after disassembling it and having it blasted, but that also meant every day working on it once I'd retired and I mean- every day; from April until the end of July. Somewhere in the vicinity of 1000 hours or so. Thank God I'm an old body man or I never could've afforded to do it, period.  :wrenching:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"