Main Menu

Mounting 70-74 Ebody Rally Mirrors

Started by onebadfish, April 25, 2017, 07:43:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

onebadfish

My drivers side mirror is loose because it was never mounted properly. I know it should have 2 nutserts/inserts that have to be semi crushed to hold them in place so that the 2 screws can be used to tighten the mirror. What is everyone using to accomplish this? I see some products on ebay but am unsure what tool is used to tighten the inserts in the door skin.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

71GranCoupe

Found the youtube video and it should help some. Harbor Freight and  :ebay: come to mind on the tool and the serts. Some of the newer serts are aluminum, but I believe that Chrysler originally used steel serts.

onebadfish

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on April 25, 2017, 08:06:48 PM
Found the youtube video and it should help some. Harbor Freight and  :ebay: come to mind on the tool and the serts. Some of the newer serts are aluminum, but I believe that Chrysler originally used steel serts.

Thanks very much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuda Cody

I've used a nut sert gun and they are easy to use.  I always put new nut serts so I know they will be good and hold.

cataclysm80

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 25, 2017, 09:13:38 PM
I've used a nut sert gun and they are easy to use.  I always put new nut serts so I know they will be good and hold.

Any trick to removing old ones without enlarging the hole they're in?

jimynick

They usually spin, so if you can grab the stem with a pair of Vice Grips, I'd use a drill bit a few thou smaller than the replacement nutsert and try to get through it on the first go. A lot depends on whether the car's paint is fresh or not.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

onebadfish

Burdar

You can just order the nutserts themselves...then use a bolt, a couple washers and a couple nuts to install it.  Some people might not want to buy a tool they are only going to use once.  The special tool would be easier especially on a painted vehicle though.

Marc70challenger

Great info. I was just about to start researching how to put side mirrors on Pumpkin. Perfect timing.  :perfect10:

71GranCoupe

If you don't want to get the tool, here is another option I found. It is from Hoovers and is a simple kit with the screws too. Enough for 2 mirrors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-74-Mopar-Cuda-Challenger-Rally-Mirror-Screw-Install-Set-/401307996075?hash=item5d6fd20fab:g:eTkAAOSw~gRV112u