Main Menu

Is the price gap on ebodies closing

Started by Shoooter, July 31, 2020, 11:41:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

Since the value of e bodies have went through the roof lately what cars are worth picking up? Cars I seen forsale five years ago and now being sold at 50-75% higher prices.  Most of them are project and they seem to be going for 20k compaired to 5-10 a few years ago. We all know 340 and up cars sell but what is the price difference compared to say a 318 car? 25% I've spoken to many members who have said if its anything under a 340 it's not worth building.  I believe those days are changing now.

Where does everyone else see this movement going? 318 projects are selling fast now, so does someone grab one before they are priced out? Excluding hemi cars has the gap for the rest of them became closer? Are 318 going to be worth picking up shortly?

CudaMoparRay

My opinion is like everything else supply and demand drive the market so it seems that 318 plus of course the more preferred small blocks and big blocks are going to be getting more expensive  :alan2cents:

GoodysGotaCuda

Quite a few cars out there like mine will get a 3gen Hemi anyway.

It doesn't make any difference to the final value of the car if it was a 318 or 440 car once you put a new power train in it. So why pay the premium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

70 Challenger Lover

I think there are a couple points worth mentioning:

1) In today's market with the COVID unemployment and election uncertainty, there are deals out there. Don't mistake these deals for being the new normal. If you have the means to do it now, I'd go for it because a few years from now, things might be hot again. We've seen a couple of really nice ragtops sell in the low 30s. Sure they are 318 cars but who cares? They are awesome!

2) For some time now, 318 and slant six cars were treated as building blocks for tribute cars. It's getting very hard to find a nice driver in low performance trim. You can find beater projects sure but if you're going to restore a car, might as well build what you really want since costs will be very similar. No one looks down on tribute cars anymore.

RUNCHARGER

There's actually quite a few restored cars out there and the guys that remember them stock in the day are older and mostly have one or a few already.
The guys that are going to build cars in  the future are younger and have never dealt with a carbureted car or something without power windows, disc brakes and A/C. So they are going to build a modified car. So those 318 cars needing some panel replacement and missing the 230HP 318 and 904 are prime candidates.
That's what I see anyway. Heck I'm 64 and I am not going to stand around an outdoor show for hours talking about my carbed car that won't start right away on todays gas sitting on belted tires that catch every rut in the road. I want something that drives.
Sheldon

Shoooter

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 01, 2020, 08:10:00 AM
There's actually quite a few restored cars out there and the guys that remember them stock in the day are older and mostly have one or a few already.
The guys that are going to build cars in  the future are younger and have never dealt with a carbureted car or something without power windows, disc brakes and A/C. So they are going to build a modified car. So those 318 cars needing some panel replacement and missing the 230HP 318 and 904 are prime candidates.
That's what I see anyway. Heck I'm 64 and I am not going to stand around an outdoor show for hours talking about my carbed car that won't start right away on todays gas sitting on belted tires that catch every rut in the road. I want something that drives.

That's a great way to look st it sheldon.  I'm 37 and dont want that either. My next one will be a 70 TA or AAR clone as I cant afford the real thing with modern motor and comforts so a 318 is  a prime candidate for me. I'm not seeing much difference in prices anymore as I just seen a 70 u code green 4 spd cuda for 18k up here. Was missing alot though

Katfish

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 01, 2020, 08:10:00 AM

I completely agree with the above, I've never had anyone ask about the VIN or anything remotely related to originality.  I actually think the peak has passed on these cars.  Owners are aging out and the younger guys can get 2x the performance for 1/2 the price buying a "newer" car that is "only" 10 years old.

Rdchallenger

IMO the 318 cars are going up in price because people can restore them to however they please and not have to stay the course to make it line up with the VIN like a more rare car. For example, have a 340? screw it put that engine in, want to make it a pro touring car? Hell yeah go for it, perfect base. Got a new Gen hemi? 318 base cars make the perfect candidate to be a restomod or whatever your heart desires. Like Mine... originally a 318, it's getting a 340 with EFI when complete.

YellowThumper

All comments are spot on. These are no longer the performance car of the day.  Lower initial investment (in comparison) then new gen is dropped in. Performance, reliability and improved gas mileage. All 4 for the win.
As for them getting closed in price. I see it as the 340/360/383s stagnating. Real Hemis and 440s are etched in stone for value retention due to low numbers.

Value up is direct result of their current strides into modern world technology
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

challengermaniac

A couple of thoughts;  had a gal tell me how much she liked the new to me 318 powered car over all of the other muscle cars owned because it was not noisy and it was easy for her to drive!

Just so you know, 318 Verts can run upwards toward $50k for an excellent condition, great fitment and fully operational car. 

Plus they are a blast just the way they are! 
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

YellowThumper

Quote from: challengermaniac on August 01, 2020, 03:12:58 PM
A couple of thoughts;  had a gal tell me how much she liked the new to me 318 powered car over all of the other muscle cars owned because it was not noisy and it was easy for her to drive!

Just so you know, 318 Verts can run upwards toward $50k for an excellent condition, great fitment and fully operational car. 

Verts regardless of drivetrain are unique in themselves.
Low number production as well.
Primary look is drop top. Secondary is then performance.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: YellowThumper on August 01, 2020, 03:53:54 PM
Quote from: challengermaniac on August 01, 2020, 03:12:58 PM

I agree. Now that I finally own one, it's hard to imagine letting it go.
Verts regardless of drivetrain are unique in themselves.
Low number production as well.
Primary look is drop top. Secondary is then performance.

Shoooter

I agree with all that is said here. The big dollar cars are set for price but a 318 is a blank canvas and you cant hurt the value only bring it up.  For me if I had a 383 or 340 I would feel like I had to run that, but a 318 I have no guilt throwing anything in there