Main Menu

Need advice designing a route with 1/2 fuel line on an E-body

Started by Convertcuda, March 13, 2017, 07:10:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MoparDave

ANY of the Tube manufacture can make up that line in 1/2 then just modify the pump end.

but if they are recommending 1/4 as a supply, there theory maybe like hydraulics. smaller the more psi and stronger then a larger line.  ??
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

jimynick

It's still about volume Dave and you can only push so much liquid through a small pipe and then there'd be the regulating to factor in, too.  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

MoparDave

i get the volume vs pressure, just don't know why they would recommend a 1/4 line thats all.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

HP_Cuda

Ok how much horsepower are we talking here?

I don't think this thing even comes close to a Demon eh?
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

soundcontrol

Quote from: MoparDave on March 25, 2017, 06:13:41 PM
i get the volume vs pressure, just don't know why they would recommend a 1/4 line thats all.

I agree, 1/4 seems a bit light, I think I'll go with 3/8. I got 1/2 pipes to my shower, running about 45 ft in my house, if my car would use the amount of gas that a 1/2 pipe can deliver, I could not afford to drive it anywhere  :D

RUNCHARGER

I am thinking 3/8 sounds about right as well although looking at my 600HP Viper it looks like 3/8" line feeding each bank. I can't see up top if they tee into a 1/2" line or not. If I get to changing oil in it this week I'll check out the body line.
Sheldon

Convertcuda

I'm am looking to make a new puck design ( the part that holds the fuel pump to the tank) and change the fittings from 1/4 to 3/8 for better flow.  I will post some pictures of the prototype when I have it done. I need it to work on a 800 horse power 572 Hemi (Tim Banning Engine from FHO) and no one makes them. Thanks for all the comments so far. Keep them coming and pictures are welcome.

Ken

Brads70

Quote from: Convertcuda on March 29, 2017, 05:11:11 PM
I'm am looking to make a new puck design ( the part that holds the fuel pump to the tank) and change the fittings from 1/4 to 3/8 for better flow.  I will post some pictures of the prototype when I have it done. I need it to work on a 800 horse power 572 Hemi (Tim Banning Engine from FHO) and no one makes them. Thanks for all the comments so far. Keep them coming and pictures are welcome.

Ken

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I have a leak now ( somewhere?) so I have to drop the tank anyhow....

Crash520

Quote from: Brads70 on March 29, 2017, 05:39:00 PM
Quote from: Convertcuda on March 29, 2017, 05:11:11 PM

Ken

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I have a leak now ( somewhere?) so I have to drop the tank anyhow....

while your at it convert it to ORB 'O' ring fittings, I have one of the Jakefab Pucks and will be changing it from NPT to ORB, might even go to 3/8 as well, I'm only building a 600hp engine but the EFI guys have recommended 1/2" on the feed side 3/8 return
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Convertcuda

Working on the drawings right know. I thought about the o-ring idea but how do you make the fitting get to right location without under tightening and over tightening? With the pipe thread you can turn an extra round if you need it. Let me know if I'm missing something with this idea. Once I get it done will post pictures. I will making tons of extra.

Ken 715-432-5080

Brads70

I took some more pictures of fuel pump mounting and the lines in case it helps someone down the road.

YellowThumper

Early on in this thread you noted running the lines up the middle. I would be more concerned about losing a drives shaft and having it take out your lines.

I mimicked the existing line when making my return line setup.
If this car is going to be more than a strip car and get legit miles put on it. I would setup a two pump system that runs on smaller pump normally with secondary pump kicks in when needed. That limits amp draw and prevents unnecessary heating of fuel.

Here is a tip. Install electric exhaust cutouts and trigger 2nd pump with them...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 14, 2017, 06:00:37 PM
I wish I knew for sure what size to tell you would work best.  Maybe @Chryco Psycho has some thoughts? 

I would think with a good pump that the 3/8" would be enough?  :notsure:
From experience a 5/16" line will starve at approx 500 HP 3/8 will add approx 1/3 more volume so maybe 750 HP so at 800 Hp you want 1/2 line
Designing the fuel cap with 1/4 id is rediculous this will never work even @ 55 psi used with EFI so that has to be reworked !
I would ask Inline or fine lines to make you  a 1/2" one but shipping will be out of line as they usually bend mild steel for shipping not a good plan for stainless though so you will probably end up making your own using the factory line as a guide .
Never run the fuel line in the driveshaft tunnel  :bricks:

soundcontrol

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 08, 2017, 08:06:49 AM
From experience a 5/16" line will starve at approx 500 HP 3/8 will add approx 1/3 more volume so maybe 750 HP so at 800 Hp you want 1/2 line
Designing the fuel cap with 1/4 id is rediculous this will never work even @ 55 psi used with EFI so that has to be reworked !
I would ask Inline or fine lines to make you  a 1/2" one but shipping will be out of line as they usually bend mild steel for shipping not a good plan for stainless though so you will probably end up making your own using the factory line as a guide .
Never run the fuel line in the driveshaft tunnel  :bricks:

Good info, I'll go 3/8 then, will be more than enough. Gotta look at those 1/4 connections in the pump though.

mopar jack

Find  a hellcat and check to see what size they use. A 3/8 line at 50psi would seem large enough compared to 3/8 at 7psi.