Main Menu

Need some opinions on what to do with my vert.

Started by js27, June 17, 2018, 12:19:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Convertcuda

RUNCHARGER

I go against the grain on this one as well. The car is a factory big block convt. so I think the 440 hurts is rather than having a correct 383 in there. No one buys a convt. to race, they buy them to cruise and at that pricepoint they want a correct car.
If the car was a 318 model the 440 wouldn't hurt at all, but being it is a collectable big block car, more original would help.
Great looking car, wish I had the cash to give you a call on it.
Also the guys point of it being easier to sell a $35k car than a $65k one is valid. There just are more buyers at a lower price and they are not quite as picky either although both cars look great.
Having said all that though, I would not spend $5k to get $5k more out of it, waste of time. It is what it is. You're better off taking $5k less than doing all the work and investing more $$$ to net the same.
Sheldon

Jay Bee

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 17, 2018, 02:49:54 PM
You can always throw a F code 383 block in with the sale to sweeten the deal
Have you given this some more thought, you are trying to unload your parts. Let prospective buyers know they can have a choice of your two 383's.

js27

Thanks for all your input and it seems opinions differ. I do know the higher the price the smaller the group of buyers and more picky.  I do know that Cuda Verts are rarer and bring more money than Challengers. Me personally If I had two identical quality cars and both were original 383 cars and one had a 440 and one had a 383 that was a correct motor for that car and the price was the same I would bye the 383 car but that is just me. I restored my car to be a fun driver with a day 2 look and really did not plan on selling it. This is why I am considering the 383 motor change.  I really want to stay away from e bay with their exorbitant prices. They are not what they use to be.
As far as the price people told me my GTX was only worth $25,00.00 because that is what they were selling for on E bay. I looked at these cars and most were no were near correct even though they claimed to be but yet I had no problem getting $38,5000 for mine. So to certain buyers correctness counts. I guess time will tell. Thanks again I do appreciate all your opinions.
JS27
AL

RzeroB

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 17, 2018, 08:34:16 PM
Having said all that though, I would not spend $5k to get $5k more out of it, waste of time. It is what it is. You're better off taking $5k less than doing all the work and investing more $$$ to net the same.

Sheldon hit the nail on the head here.

I don't know how many times I spent money fixing something up trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of the sale. Sure you sell it for a little more making it appear that it was worth it, but when you consider the money spent PLUS the time invested it usually turns out to be a loss. Time is money. Unless you just can't stop wrenching, don't waste your time. Tweak your price point if you need to, wait it out, and spend your time doing something else enjoyable.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

340challconvert

I like to track Challenger convertible sales (since I own one)
Here are the Barrett Jackson 2017 Scottsdale sales for Challengers
Just as a reference point:
Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2017 SALES

1970 Challenger custom         JH23C0B106555      79.2K   6cyl to hemi conversion
1970 Challenger custom convertible      JH27G0B107437      37.4K   318-to 440-6 conversion
1970 Challenger TA 340-6 4sp      JH23J0B297743      67.1K     go mango
1970 Challenger TA 340-6 4sp      JH23J0B311291      57.2k   y1 w build sheet
1970 Challenger RT Hemi convertible   JH27G0B357429      73.7K    recreation
1970 Challenger RT SE 440-6 auto      JS29V0B141330      55K    burnt orange in/out
1970 Challenger 383 auto         JH23N0B115041      35.2    sublime
1970 Challenger A66 4sp         JH23H0E121962      not yet sold    GoMango/orange
1971 Challenger RT 340 4sp         JS23H1B355627      55k   hemi orange /color changed
1971 Challenger convertible 340 auto   JH27H1B300755      60.5K    green go
1971 Challenger RT convertible       JH27C1B337707      77K   6 cyl to hemi, 4sp b-5
1973 Challenger custom         JH23H3B499142      53.9K   475 stroker

Anything can happen if the right buyer is looking for a particular car.
- a 70 318 convertible to a  440-6 conversion sells for 37K
- a 70 318 convertible converted to a hemi recreation went for 73.7k
- a 71 340 vert with original drivetrain sold for 60.5k
- a 71 Challenger 6cyl to RT hemi convertible specs sold for 77K

Keep in mind this was Challenger results from just one auction held last year.
IMO you should be able to break the 50k mark with your car
Good luck with the sale.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

RzeroB

Your Chally is a great looking ride. I personally like the color combo. Have you considered putting it in Hemmings? Sure, they are not what they once were when they were THEE place to advertise, but they still get a lot of traffic. I might also consider one of the big auction operators. They have it down to a science how to whip up potential buyers into a feeding frenzy and put the pressure on to get them to bid way over what they would have normally.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

scf100

leave it the way it is...............................very nice car...............drop price as others say to maybe.......$49,900......get under 50k

Ebay will advertise to thousands of folks...................

craigslist gets a lot of views too so don't count that out

last resort is putting on consignment at several muscle car dealers near you...Smokey Mountain, Streetside Classics etc........will take longer to sell but may get you more money as they market everywhere for you

good job on the build by the way
1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

Quote from: js27 on June 18, 2018, 04:19:49 PM
.....  I really want to stay away from e bay with their exorbitant prices. .....

AFAIK, an ad on eBay is ~$17 plus an additional ~$125 IF the car sells

RUNCHARGER

I think a lot of people use Epay to advertise and get it out there. The cars don't necessarily sell through Epay. That's why you see so many unrealistic reserves etc.
Sheldon

6bblgt

Quote from: ErikR on June 19, 2018, 09:43:16 AM
Plus on eBay the final fees are based on the selling price and eBay will bill you immediately for a closed auction even before the buyer pays. .....

Motor Vehicle fees on eBay are not based on final price

it looks like they bumped up the "reserve" fee, so my above ~$17 would now be $42 for an unsuccessful auction (additional $125 for a "reserve met" auction)

:alan2cents: & it's not that I like eBay "it is, what it is" - but it will get eyes on a vehicle for sale :takealook:

Crocha617

I sold my Challenger Convertible in March and my Invoice was $158.51 from ebay. Ebay is the way to get the word out. It may not hit reserve but it's your best way to show it to the world.

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

cuda hunter

:iagree:

Craigslist solicits a very small percentage of people in comparison to ebay.

Nothing beats fleabay for getting eyes on the car.

Awesome color combo!  Love the ride!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee