Main Menu

Need Some Project Ideas

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, February 06, 2024, 07:39:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

OK, so got some renewed motivation - thank you all.  Doing some planning over the weekend and decided what I need is a way to get the chassis mounted on a jig that I can move around the garage / driveway so I can actually get started on disassembly and organizing my parts stash.

I dont want to spend $1500-$2000 on a rotisserie for a single time use, even though I would love to have one - I just dont have the space to store it after.  I have seen some DIY wood dollies and rotisseries (the rotisseries look a little suspect to me).  I do not currently have a welder so fabbing up something in metal is not an option currently.

Anyone on here done anything similar?  Just looking for suggestions ideas.  I know there is a used rotisserie in my area listed on here, just dont want to spend that much and I dont know if I have the space.  Sometimes the simplest answer might be the best answer but figured I would explore my options and see what the creative minds here have done

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/681758-building-wooden-body-rotisserie.html

https://restocar.com/blog/wooden-tip-over-jig/
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

RUNCHARGER

Sorry, not really what you're asking but this is what a lot of us use. A bit of metal fabbing though and no good for flipping it over to strip and recoat the floor. Great for rolling around though.
Sheldon

RUNCHARGER

The rear castor frames bolt to the front spring hangar mounting holes. The front is just a metal frame that bolts to the 4 K-member holes. They don't have to be fancy. Matter of fact I think you could do something with 4X4 lumber and lag bolt the castors to the lumber. If using wood you would have to use 2 places to bolt to the rear body not just the front spring mounts.
Sheldon

70_440-6Cuda

That may do the trick, thanks!  It would be nice to flip it on it side for assembly - but could work around that for a simpler solution as this - thank you!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

DeathProofCuda

Keep in mind that if you buy a used rotisserie that you can probably sell it when you are done for just about, if not more than, what you paid for it.  Even if you wind up losing a couple of hundred bucks on it, it would likely be worth the "rental" cost.

DeathProofCuda

Mr Cuda

I would agree that buying a used rotisserie is the way to go.  I'd buy that if I was local.
 A rotisserie is longer than a car and does take up more length,  but when the car is sideways,  you get some width back to  work,  if you have limited space.
 For storing and moving shells, I have 4 wheel carts, almost as long as the wheel centers, with 4 posts up to body frame holes.
 That way no suspension mounting points are blocked, and there is no load on the ends of the structure.

EV2RTSE

I bought this one from Auto Twirler, basically a store-bought version of Runcharger's setup. Good quality and price isn't too bad, much better than some of its competitors out there. Also uses the k-frame and rear leaf spring hanger bolts for installation and has a tie bar in the front that adds rigidity. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmp-mpc-0440

soundcontrol

I have seen something like this, but made out of wood.

EDIT: You had a link in your post, but I missed that.

70_440-6Cuda

@EV2RTSE that may do the trick!  I thought about the "roll over" type, but realizing with my bicep tear, being ever able to "roll" it over is probably a non starter.