Main Menu

Fuel tank filler problems

Started by mjb765, April 17, 2020, 07:26:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mjb765

70 Cuda...when filling the fuel tank I can't go more than 1/2 squeeze on the pump or gas comes out of the filler opening. I checked the filler neck and the only thing I saw is the dent in the front section. I ordered a replacement and it has the same dent--so that is not the problem. What else could be causing this?? Really weird.....

Any ideas or should I just take the filler neck out for the hell of it......

screamindriver

The shape of the filler neck will mess with the auto-stop feature of the pump handle...I put it in a little over half way then turn the handle to either the 4 or 8 oclock position when filling...If not you'll have it snap off every few seconds...All our new work trucks no longer have a filler cap just a spring loaded hole cover and it does the same thing to the pump..It's an art to find just the right position to keep it going...
  P.S.--- I always use some type of rag around the pump nozzle as I fill the Cuda..That way if it violently snaps off and tries to burp the fuel you're not left with cleaning the entire back tail panel,bumper, etc...

mjb765

Quote from: screamindriver on April 17, 2020, 08:43:08 PM
The shape of the filler neck will mess with the auto-stop feature of the pump handle...I put it in a little over half way then turn the handle to either the 4 or 8 oclock position when filling...If not you'll have it snap off every few seconds...All our new work trucks no longer have a filler cap just a spring loaded hole cover and it does the same thing to the pump..It's an art to find just the right position to keep it going...
  P.S.--- I always use some type of rag around the pump nozzle as I fill the Cuda..That way if it violently snaps off and tries to burp the fuel you're not left with cleaning the entire back tail panel,bumper, etc...

So it's not just me......I have been living with this for a while and figured I would finally look into it...but I guess there is no fixing it other than finding the sweet spot.

Thanks for the info and I guess I have an extra filler neck......

Bullitt-

Sometimes it's just the pump... about half the time fueling my '13 Challenger I have to hold the handle less than half open & one of my neighborhood stations got new pumps a while back & twice on 2-different pumps I tried to fuel my '17 Ram & couldn't go slow enough so I gave up & no longer go there...never had an issue anywhere else with it ..    :dunno:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

mjb765

Quote from: Bullitt- on April 17, 2020, 08:52:40 PM
Sometimes it's just the pump... about half the time fueling my '13 Challenger I have to hold the handle less than half open & one of my neighborhood stations got new pumps a while back & twice on 2-different pumps I tried to fuel my '17 Ram & couldn't go slow enough so I gave up & no longer go there...never had an issue anywhere else with it ..    :dunno:

Thanks..I doubt that's it...been to a lot of different stations over the years......from local to 100 miles away.

screamindriver

The older pumps were more forgiving back in the 70s and 80s..But then again it might be simply because they didn't pump that fast in the first place,I remember standing there for quite a while for a fill-up...Now with all the "new and improved" safety features and faster pump gallons per minute, its a bigger issue...But I've seen numerous vehicles that drove away with the nozzle and hose in the tank and the break-away did it's job...So I see the need for those safety items to be in place...