Main Menu

Small block vs big block ?

Started by bentpshrods, February 22, 2018, 03:39:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

bentpshrods

Not a question of performance, but more a question of driveability   between the two. My car is a 340/.AT/3.55 gears.  I am the guy that has owned one car for a long time, instead a having owned a lot of different mopars. As such--I have not had the pleasure of driving an big block e-body.  On weekends I usually go to the local car shows and then a drive around the valley afterwards.  Most times these little drives are a hundred + mile cruises.  I also would like to do a bit more drag racing this summer. A friend wants me to join him for Friday night club racing witch would be a blast. To this end I started to build a small block stroker. An injury last year took me out of work for almost six months. With this reduction of income, the funds for my motor soon went by-by.  BUT--I have a built 440 sitting in the garage. Only needs a big block AT tranny, headers and a intake&carb.  This will take care of the strip side, but I wonder about how much difference in cruising it will make.  MPG is not a concern. Car has manual steering. I figure down the road to add bigger torsion bars and frame connectors but this might take a while.  Does the weight difference between the two make all that much of a change in driving.  Most of my cruising is up to the mountains one way, or out to the desert along the rivers the other way. I know it's a trade off, but I don't want a nose heavy car that will be a constant fight to handle around some curvy roads. Like I said--just have never drove a big block.   

RUNCHARGER

I like big blocks but you have a small block car and you're halfway to building the stroker. Changing to a big block involves a bit of work, transmission, engine mounts, pulleys, brackets, radiator etc. all have to be figured in. It's easy to swap aluminum heads and WP housing onto a big block but you can do that to a smallblock for even bigger gains. I would sell the 440, use that money to finish up your small block stroker if it was mine.
Sheldon

mopar jack

I would add frame connectors before you take it on the track. You can leave the small torsion bars on if all you do is drag race, they actually help traction at launch.

Plumcrazzy

A big block without power steering would be a beast to cruise with or try to park in a tight place.

Chryco Psycho

Depends what the end goal is , I have a big block stroker with manual steering , it is just fine to drive , parking is the only time it is tough to steer .
Nothing has to be done immediately you can save up aging to get the end result you want  . The big block swap does require more then you think to do though

303 Mopar

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 22, 2018, 04:03:00 PM
I like big blocks but you have a small block car and you're halfway to building the stroker. Changing to a big block involves a bit of work, transmission, engine mounts, pulleys, brackets, radiator etc. all have to be figured in. It's easy to swap aluminum heads and WP housing onto a big block but you can do that to a smallblock for even bigger gains. I would sell the 440, use that money to finish up your small block stroker if it was mine.

This is good advice.  Speaking from experience, changing directions will always cost you more in the end.  A stroked 340 will be a blast to drive and very respectable at the track.  I would also add subframe connectors as suggested.