Main Menu

tired of breaking your slapstik handle ?

Started by CincyCuda, December 26, 2019, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CincyCuda

I broke many plastic handles......so with help of  my engineer/ machinist father-in-law , we made one out of a block of aluminum. split it in half, machined internal channels , bolted back together and shaped outer body.....bullitproof !

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

EV2RTSE

Nice! You should go into production and sell them, I bet there's a lot of people who would want one. I broke the original one in my '73 years ago, and keep repairing it, and it keeps getting bashed with my knee and breaking again. I have an NOS one but don't want to put it on out of fear of the same thing happening to it.

BIGSHCLUNK

cuda hunter

That's cool.
First I've seen someone do this!

If it were identical to original in shape I'd buy one for sure! 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Brads70

That's pretty cool!  I used to be a mold maker for 25 years and there was a place in Windsor Ontario years ago that we would send our molds to to get the texture applied. It was the same as the shifter handle and door panels. That was years ago no idea if they are in business still but thought that would be pretty cool to have done to your handle.
Nice job!

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Brads70 on December 27, 2019, 03:11:59 AM
That's pretty cool!  I used to me a mold maker for 25 years and there was a place in Windsor Ontario years ago that we would send our molds to to get the texture applied. It was the same as the shifter handle and door panels. That was years ago no idea if they are in business still but thought that would be pretty cool to have done to your handle.
Nice job!

We have a couple of places that texture our Peterbilt molds. The animal graining in general is pretty close to what our cars had originally. It's a very labor intensive process though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

captcolour

Tenibac and Mold-Tech (they are the same company now) both do automotive tool texturing in the Detroit area.  I'd guess around $200 to do a part like that.  They normally do mold cavities.  Not sure how much of a challenge it would be to do a finished aluminum part.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: captcolour on December 27, 2019, 06:20:30 AM
Tenibac and Mold-Tech (they are the same company now) both do automotive tool texturing in the Detroit area.

Tenibac is who I was thinking of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

ClarkWGrizwald

Just leather wrap it and call it a day. Looks good otherwise.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

CincyCuda

I thought about some type of black coating and leaving the silver band to mimic the original .....but I kind of like how it stands out.

Katfish

Powder coat it with a wrinkle finish.
Check out the other thread.

Awesome work, looks great!

CincyCuda

that sounds like an option if I black it out

MoparLeo

Get it scanned to a CNC program. Start taking orders or post the scan program on line.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...