Main Menu

UPDATE....FRAUD Alert for BS23JOB296260 Vitamin C AAR

Started by 76orangewagon, April 07, 2020, 03:29:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

76orangewagon

Back in mid 1990 I bought an 1970 Plymouth AAR Cuda that I drug out of the Miami/ Ft Lauderdale, Florida area. Once I got the car home realized it beyond what I was willing or able to restore back then and then I found my current 1971 Shaker Cuda and focused my attention toward that car instead. I ended up taking some parts off the AAR and cut up the shell and sold all the important parts including the matching numbers block and 727 transmission along with all the body stamping's and dash to a guy who lived in the Toledo, Ohio area.
I recently found several pictures of the car which reminded me of this car and felt I should put what info and Pictures I had out there because I know that someone probably created a fake car and passed it off as an original. Sorry....I do not have the Vin number to help determine what car it is but remember the guy specifically pointed out what he wanted cut out and how much extra metal around the numbers he wanted. Hope the Pictures help..thats all I have after all these years. The intake and carbs were gone when I bought it in Florida.

Chryco Psycho

76orangewagon

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 07, 2020, 04:45:21 PM
What a shame you cut it up  :Thud:
If AMD was around back then it would have been a easier fix, the roof had several rust holes in in that you could put your fist thru...the salt water environment really did a number on it. I bought the car for around $2700 used lots of parts on my 71, traded the AAR front fenders and grille for a set of gilled 71 fender and then re-sold the left over cut up car parts for $2500.

76orangewagon

(UPDATE)  Almost 3 years ago I originally posted this topic with little information other than the color...well the other day i ran across the bill of sale from where we bought and a piece of cardboard that I wrote the fender tag codes on.  So, if this is your Cuda it would seem that the guy I sold all the parts to or some else decided to make a replacement AAR out of it. Hopefully this car isn't out there and the parts were just sold off.

BS23JOB296260

D32   E55   G34   C55   C16   A53   N94   N44 

M88   M21   J82    J45   Y05   V6X   R11   R11

EV2   26

headejm

Quote from: 76orangewagon on April 07, 2020, 03:29:59 PM

I ended up taking some parts off the AAR and cut up the shell and sold all the important parts including the matching numbers block and 727 transmission along with all the body stamping's and dash to a guy who lived in the Toledo, Ohio area.

Sorry....I do not have the Vin number to help determine what car it is but remember the guy specifically pointed out what he wanted cut out and how much extra metal around the numbers he wanted.

Serious question...what did you think was going to happen with cut out number stampings?

Fastmark

Uh, no kidding. You are the one that cut all the numbers off and sold them. Now you are warning of a fake car? Seems like you are the one that started the mess.

anlauto

:rofl: :rofl: Yea, I'll leave the door to the vault open, but if someone steals something, don't blame me.... :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

CudaA39

Quote from: Fastmark on January 08, 2023, 01:04:20 PM
Uh, no kidding. You are the one that cut all the numbers off and sold them. Now you are warning of a fake car? Seems like you are the one that started the mess.

Lol for real.  I'm glad OP had a change of heart but man not like admitting to being an accessory to vehicular fraud on the internet.

No doubt someone on here will end up tracking down that car if it exists.
Check out my 71 Gen3 build:

https://youtu.be/XSDAWczXoZw

2015 Tri-State Stock/Superstock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Weekend Sunday Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar Weekend Friday No Box Winner and 11.50 R/U

worthywads

I can appreciate the honesty.

But yeah I think selling a VIN is illegal.

If this car shows up somewhere and word gets out that it isn't legit and it goes to court, this thread is prime evidence and OP is criminal #1.

headejm

Another serious question...Is it illegal to swap VINs on a car? Is it Federal law or State law? What's the penalty? Pretty sure it's been done numerous times.  :notsure:

torredcuda

Quote from: headejm on January 08, 2023, 10:01:30 PM
Another serious question...Is it illegal to swap VINs on a car? Is it Federal law or State law? What's the penalty? Pretty sure it's been done numerous times.  :notsure:

Been discussed many times, there is a federal law  for vin tampering but state laws vary as to what you can/can`t do legally.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

YYZ

It's illegal if it is done with the intent to defraud — eg putting a clean VIN on a stolen car, or changing a BS23N to a BS23R

If it's done for 'repair' purposes, then that becomes a gray area, and different States have different laws regarding how one is to deal with 'repair' parts, and where they came from.

Think about a pickup truck where it's pretty easy to have a cab, frame and box from 3 different vehicles.

Unless someone complains about being ripped off, it doesn't seem like much else happens given the number of high profile cars with replacement bodies that go through the auctions each year.

torredcuda

Quote from: YYZ on January 09, 2023, 09:46:13 AM

It's illegal if it is done with the intent to defraud — eg putting a clean VIN on a stolen car, or changing a BS23N to a BS23R

If it's done for 'repair' purposes, then that becomes a gray area, and different States have different laws regarding how one is to deal with 'repair' parts, and where they came from.

Think about a pickup truck where it's pretty easy to have a cab, frame and box from 3 different vehicles.

Unless someone complains about being ripped off, it doesn't seem like much else happens given the number of high profile cars with replacement bodies that go through the auctions each year.

:iagree:
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Xghobo

I can't help but feel bad for someone who bought that AAR and now a lifetime later the car lost most of its value now that vin is out there as a re body.Man someone is going to loose a ton of $.

71vert340

If I owned this car, I would part it out. I would not sell the cowl and the upper radiator support with the VIN stampings. I'd weld over them and grind flush. The dash VIN tag and door decal would be destroyed and the title burned. Everything would be sold to help other cars be completed.
Terry W.