Main Menu

Venting Tanks Inc tank, My Fitech Install

Started by WhiskeyRebel, April 25, 2020, 12:08:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

^^ Nice exhaust pieces. I'm planning on replacing my Hooker long tubes with TTI shorty's soon and will be getting the rest of the exhaust from TTI as well probably.

On the EFI, what made you choose the Fitech over the other units from Holley, MSD or heck.. Summit has their own brand as well?

WhiskeyRebel

I purchased the tank, pump and sending unit all together from Tanks Inc.  Sorry I didnt take more pictures installing the pump and sender, but both went in real easy.  Instructions were very clear and everything seems to be great quality. Here are pictures of the documentation, let me know if anyone wants more info.

Also worked on the lines today. The fittings on the pump are 1/4 NPT.  I installed NPT to 6AN fittings with a little fuel resistant gasket sealer on both the supply and return on the pump.  Then made up some 6AN hoses to connect to 3/8 hard lines at the rear frame rail.  I dont have the hard line yet so just left these a little long and will test fit the tank when those are in.  I am going vent the tank to a 3rd 3/8 line to a PCV line in the engine bay.  The Y in the picture came with the Tanks Inc supplies.

WhiskeyRebel

I forgot to add that the pump can be installed (turned) any way you want.  I tried several different ways but like aiming the hoses where I did.

The sender can only go in one way. The distance between the two screws on either side of the wires is larger than all the rest.  Took me a few tries to figure that out and I didnt see it mentioned in the directions. 

Brads70

The trap door they sell is a nice idea too. I installed it in mine just in case something needs service I don't have to drop the tank.

WhiskeyRebel

Thanks Brad. I did look at those access doors.  My trunk sheet metal is all new and nicely painted top and bottom.  For now I dont really want to cut up the trunk and I am hoping I dont have to access this often.  Probably just cursed myself though. If it gets bad, I may add it later. Does the spare tire cover that?

moparcar

A lot of the pro-touring guys use this for venting the tank as well.

https://www.iimuch.com/products/fuelvent2

WhiskeyRebel

I opted for the black Fitech throttle body part #30002.  Here's a shot of everything it comes with.  It comes with a clamp on bung for the O2 sensor that seals itself.  I have heard they work well and dont leak but my headers are really rusty and this is a good time to pull them and blast/paint while installing the O2 bung.  I picked up this weld on one from Summit for less than 10 bucks.

Msbaugh440

So what pump did you end up getting from tanks inc? Reason I ask is because I purchased the GPA series and it came with 1/4" npt fittings and I was worried they would restrict flow.

WhiskeyRebel

Here's my order below with the part numbers.  I got the GPA-4 pump and you are correct, they are 1/4 inch NPT (I'll go back and fix the info above).  This is what Tanks recommended for this FI setup and I have seen others run this as well.  Im using a combo of standard 3/8 steel line and AN-6 lines.  I've seen Summit and other places recommend 3/8 and AN-6 for 350-450 HP and 1/2 or AN-8 for 450-650HP.  My motor is a pretty stock 383 so not sure I need more than this.  NPT is measured ID where fuel line is measured OD so not sure but I think they are close (1/4NPT and 3/8 line).  I can take a picture side by side tomorrow.

I've read about not restricting the return flow, as any backup could cause a pressure fluctuation. Not sure if true but I have seen where guys with bigger HP motors run AN-8 supply and AN-10 return.  Also read about potentially reducing the work for the pump by making sure it has plenty of room for the return.  I also believe everything I read on the internet.    :dunno:

Katfish

Are those hose clamps EFI clamps?  They look like regular gas line clamps.

WhiskeyRebel

That's for the vent.  The supply and return lines are the braided AN-6 lines below that.

Brads70

Quote from: WhiskeyRebel on April 29, 2020, 05:10:58 PM
Thanks Brad. I did look at those access doors.  My trunk sheet metal is all new and nicely painted top and bottom.  For now I dont really want to cut up the trunk and I am hoping I dont have to access this often.  Probably just cursed myself though. If it gets bad, I may add it later. Does the spare tire cover that?

Yes my spare still goes there ok. I have a block of wood under the one side.  I have all the sheet metal to replace my trunk floor and drop off's  as mine is pretty scabby , so I thought I'd try it in the old floor as a test run.

WhiskeyRebel

Removed the DS header.  What a pain headers are to get in and out.  Took these out the bottom by disconnecting the steering center link.

Im not positive, but these may be beyond their useful life.   :bye:  Not sure what brand they were but they did not fit well.  They leaked like crazy around the exhaust ports and looks like someone used a sledge to 'adjust' the fit.  Those holes would have caused issues with the O2 reading too. 

Ordered a set of TTI ceramic polished headers with the O2 bung already installed and the mid pipe to go with it.  I'm hoping to reuse these magnaflow mufflers and I'll save these pipes for some other project.

Just want to point out for those considering the FI swap that it probably doesnt have to be this hard for everyone.  I have heard the clamp on O2 bung works just fine.  My car had issues I knew I needed to address.  This is just a good excuse for me to get some new headers and clean up some other issues.

WhiskeyRebel

Quote from: Msbaugh440 on April 29, 2020, 06:33:29 PM
So what pump did you end up getting from tanks inc? Reason I ask is because I purchased the GPA series and it came with 1/4" npt fittings and I was worried they would restrict flow.

I've mostly been following the recommendations of Fitech and Tanks inc and what others have done.  Trying to calculate the flow involves math I haven't thought of in years and makes my head hurt.  The GPA-4 will do 100psi and 255 liters per hour (not likely both at the same time though).  The Go-EFI 4 600 requires 58psi so hopefully I wont ever exceed the limits of the pump and fuel delivery. 

Specs on pump from the Tanks inc site:
Made in the USA  (important to me)
Heavy 10 gauge no-warp mounting plate
1/4" NPT Supply and Return Line
Barbed Vent Fitting
Oven brazed fittings
Up to 100 PSI
In-tank wire harness
Genuine Walbro Fuel Pumps

Here is a picture of the pump.  Comes with a nice filter sock so you dont suck up muck from the bottom of the tank.  Install involves measuring the depth of your tank and cutting the return (white) and pump (black) hoses to length, assembling the pump to the hose, and dropping it in. Pretty easy.

Here is some flow data on the GPA-4. Unfortunately the chart is in GPH and the pump in LPH, but at 60psi this pump flows about 55GPH or roughly 220LPH (1g=3.8L)

The other thing about the Tanks tank is the pump sits in a well in the tank, essentially a walled off section inside the tank that keeps fuel on the pump for when you are driving on 2 wheels.   :driving: 

Not sure if this helps but the last pictures I took for comparison. Left to right are rubber fuel hose, AN-6 hose, the 1/4 NPT fitting, 3/8 steel line, 5/16 steel line. I'm sure there is flow data out there

WhiskeyRebel

So, what's a guy to do while in quarantine and waiting on a set of headers? This engine bay is a mess and bugs me...