Main Menu

Venting Tanks Inc tank, My Fitech Install

Started by WhiskeyRebel, April 25, 2020, 12:08:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

WhiskeyRebel

Maybe I can clean it up a little.  New headers are easier to put in with the engine out of the way anyway.  You can see where the old ones were leaking pretty bad.

Plan is to clean this up and give it a nice new coat of paint.

WhiskeyRebel

Might as well replace some wear parts while I'm here.
New Clutch from McCleod
Not sure I can get this flywheel machined under the current quarantine.  Anyone ever just clean one of these up with a flapdisc?  Or 440Source has one for $150 I am debating.

JS29

WhiskeyRebel

Quote from: JS29 on April 30, 2020, 03:01:49 PM
In green I hope! :Stirring:

Ha ha, yeah I know. I can't argue with that.  One of the things that drives me nuts about the car (black painted engine bay).  I was talking about the motor though.  Not sure I want to strip everything off the bay to paint it right now with everything else I am working on.  I am thinking maybe a full rebuild next year or so, and may do it then.  We will see.  This can of worms keeps getting bigger.

JS29

Scooter

Getting a serious case of garage envy reading your posts. I had to remove the motor from my Ford in the driveway (which is at an angle and short)because my garage ceiling is too low.  ;)

WhiskeyRebel

Thanks Scooter.  I put 13' ceilings in because I was thinking of installing a lift.  I added footings and routed the radiant heat around them where the posts would go before I poured the floor.  Decided against it for now because I dont want to lose the floor space but I can always add them later if I change my mind.  Nice to have the height though.

JS29: You had me staring at my empty engine bay for half the day.  You are right of course.  It needs to be painted.  I already have the column out to rebuild that.  The centerlink is undone from when I took the headers out, so the steering box will come out with a few bolts.  Something needs to be done with this master cylinder and that's the wrong metering block.  You may have noticed the windshield is out.  I am going to do the dash pad and there was no way I could get the 4 flat head wood screws out the previous guy used in the defrost vents!   :headbang:  Everything is saying I should paint the bay.  I think I would regret not taking the opportunity. This FiTech thread is turning into a mini resto thread. Oh well.  Been my problem my whole life, cant do things half way.

I'm going to need some help with the paint though (been a long time and have little experience to begin with). First getting off whatever this shiny black is.  It peels off where it is not bonded well.  Almost seems like POR15 or something.  Brake fluid definitely removes it though (oops) so maybe I can mask things off well and use a chemical stripper.  Not sure I trust painting over it.

JS29

YellowThumper

Yes the end target invariably becomes a moving target.
Looks like you have made good progress. Surmising from what you have already accepted for "improvements" that you would have regretted not painting the bay.

Good luck.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Brads70

" mission creep" be careful!  :)  Your not the first... or last

JS29

WhiskeyRebel

Quote from: JS29 on May 03, 2020, 11:37:06 AM
@WhiskeyRebel  Some day you will thank me!!!!  :lurking:  :haha:

I already am (thanks).  I knew it was the right thing, just needed a little nudge.  I'm definitely aware of the mission creep here too so keep the pressure up.  I am still taking more things apart than putting back together but with good reason.  I am motivated to be driving this right now so will keep going.  Wife was asking if the pandemic was getting to me?  Pandemic? What pandemic, hand me that wrench over there will you?  I think it has been good therapy and I'm getting lots of garage time.

Here's some updates.  Scrubbed down the motor for days as best I could.  I grabbed a concrete mixing tub from Home Depot for less than $10.  Fits nicely under the engine on the stand and catches all the crap.  I used a degreaser in a spray bottle first with a scrub brush, then a water rinse with more brushing.  Then I went over the whole thing several times with a scotch brite and laquer thinner.  This is just a quick mockup.  I'm still working on cleaning up and refinishing fasteners and waiting on a few rockers and pushrods to replace before reassembling.  I replaced the timing chain and gears while in there.

I have these emblems lying around and was thinking of drilling the VC and installing them.  There used to be a 'Mopar' sticker here.  The flat spot on those MT VCs always looked funny to me, like a generic VC that someone slapped a sticker on.  Thoughts, opinions? Should I do?

JS29

Katfish

I like them, but I wouldn't drill.
Some good epoxy will do the trick with no leakage.

JS29

I would refrain from drilling. Do you know anybody that does vinyl graphics? I would try that route.  :alan2cents: