Main Menu

VON Dealer info

Started by Arctoad, July 08, 2019, 08:23:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Arctoad

Was wondering if the VON number on Fender tag can be used to track dealer information?
Thanks

6bblgt

there are a couple people collecting info & working on the relationship between VON and original dealership on ordered cars
the reality is 50 years after the fact so much of the information is lost that the chance of matching a car w/o paperwork to a dealership is small

anlauto

Basically you would need to find, not only a car with a VON sequential or extremely close to yours, but that car would have to have the original window sticker or warranty card outlining the original dealership it was sold at, and it's still not a "for sure" bet.
A basic needle in a haystack. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

IRON MAN

I'm not sure what you are after. I spent 23 years in the car business. I was a sales manager at several dealerships where i did vehicle order management (VOMS). Once an order was submitted, a vehicle order number was generated. Ordered vehicles came with a most sacred document called a MSO = Manufacturer Statement of Origin. If this MSO is lost before the time of sale the dealership would be put thru many hoops to get another MSO generated by the manufacturer. The dealership's business office would take the MSO after the vehicle is sold to the State DMV Office and a title would be generated for the first time in the customers name and/or lien holder. The dealership had to hold on to the records of sale for at least ten years. That's sometimes 20,000 to 50,000 files containing sales & vehicle documents. After ten years, sometimes a document shredder truck would come and destroy all the old files. So good luck,

Arctoad

I was hoping that some type of History could be generated for this car so it was a long shot.
The Family that I purchased the car from like many have had a falling out with one another, so it may be impossible to contact the second owner who may have i.e. Broadcast sheet, Transfer of ownership from the original owner or at least pictures.
The car, was owned by two Brothers in Buffalo who apparently purchased the car years ago from there Cousin's Son who got into some trouble with the law. So they probably paid far below market value hence the reason they don't have any desire to give any information about him..
So I could file something with the DMV but being Canadian will probably result in another maze of bureaucracy.
Any Ideas?
Thanks all for your help.
:soshelp:

JS29

Arctoad

JS29

New York state only gave a registration/title, 1973 and up got real titles.

Arctoad

Unless the Broadcast sheet turns up somewhere... otherwise it'll be what it is.
:whiteflag: