Main Menu

What did you do with your ebody/Mopar today?

Started by Brads70, March 21, 2017, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Not today but a few days ago...
Got the car out of the garage...March 8th...earliest ever!
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Dropped by the body shop today. They seem to be making good progress. I knew it had been in a fender bender on the passenger door at some point in its life before I owned it. Body shop didn't ask they just put a new door skin on. It was easier than messing with the old sheet metal and the body line do match up pretty nice!

dodj

Those appear to be stock front fenders.......
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on March 13, 2024, 07:20:26 PMThose appear to be stock front fenders.......
Yes, they are the originals. I'm getting them painted at the same time as the rest of it. So it all matches if I ever want to return it to stock. There was some confusion with the body guy as to what fenders it will be finished with, they will swap them out.

blown motor

Will they repaint your other fenders as well or match the car to them?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

Quote from: blown motor on March 14, 2024, 06:44:57 AMWill they repaint your other fenders as well or match the car to them?
Yes paint them again when they do the rest of the car.

6PKRTSE

I finished the polishing of all of my S.E. mouldings and installed them on the car.

anlauto

Quote from: Brads70 on March 13, 2024, 10:44:02 AMDropped by the body shop today. They seem to be making good progress. I knew it had been in a fender bender on the passenger door at some point in its life before I owned it. Body shop didn't ask they just put a new door skin on. It was easier than messing with the old sheet metal and the body line do match up pretty nice!

All this from your little parking lot incident ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on March 14, 2024, 07:55:29 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on March 13, 2024, 10:44:02 AMDropped by the body shop today. They seem to be making good progress. I knew it had been in a fender bender on the passenger door at some point in its life before I owned it. Body shop didn't ask they just put a new door skin on. It was easier than messing with the old sheet metal and the body line do match up pretty nice!

All this from your little parking lot incident ?
Well, thats what prompted the trip to the body shop for a repaint, parking lot incident was the passenger rear quarter, door damage( somewhat hidden) was before I owned it. While it's in there might as well get it all done.... new door skin and trunk pans and drop offs. I'll paint the engine bay at another time, when /if I have the engine out.

chargerdon

Went to a Cars and Coffee cruise in saturday.   On the way home without any warning the car died !!   Engine quit and no electricity anywhere...no gauges.... NADA.  Turned the key off and to accessories and NADA, then back to run still NADA.   

I had a multi-meter in my trunk and started diagnosing the problem...Battery good showing 12.85 volts, same at the starter relay....took a wire and jumpered the relay and yep, starter engaged.   Next i pulled the cap off of the main power wire 40 amp fuse (i put it in instead of the fuseable link wire) and it had power and was good.   Next tugged a little on the main power lead into the bulkhead connector and viola...i got power...i.e could hear the ignition system energize as i had left the key on...   But, if i jiggled it a little power would go off and on...got it on

Was then able to start it and drove home with my fingers crossed.   When i got home i turned on the headlights that i could see in my garage and tugged on that main bulkhead connector and the lights would go out and back on as i jiggled it.   So, i pulled the bulkhead connector off and saw some green corrosion in there...did the baking soda and vinegar cleaning, then some light sanding on the male connector, then sprayed the entire connector with electrical contact cleaner, including sprayed all of the female side in the bulkhead.  Next, i sprayed both sides with some battery cable anti corrosion stuff and replugged in the connector.   Got power and watching headlights i can now jiggle the main power wire at the bulkhead and they stay on...  checked out all of the power accessories and all good. 

Brads70

Quote from: chargerdon on March 17, 2024, 06:15:29 AMWent to a Cars and Coffee cruise in saturday.   On the way home without any warning the car died !!   Engine quit and no electricity anywhere...no gauges.... NADA.  Turned the key off and to accessories and NADA, then back to run still NADA.   

I had a multi-meter in my trunk and started diagnosing the problem...Battery good showing 12.85 volts, same at the starter relay....took a wire and jumpered the relay and yep, starter engaged.   Next i pulled the cap off of the main power wire 40 amp fuse (i put it in instead of the fuseable link wire) and it had power and was good.   Next tugged a little on the main power lead into the bulkhead connector and viola...i got power...i.e could hear the ignition system energize as i had left the key on...   But, if i jiggled it a little power would go off and on...got it on

Was then able to start it and drove home with my fingers crossed.   When i got home i turned on the headlights that i could see in my garage and tugged on that main bulkhead connector and the lights would go out and back on as i jiggled it.   So, i pulled the bulkhead connector off and saw some green corrosion in there...did the baking soda and vinegar cleaning, then some light sanding on the male connector, then sprayed the entire connector with electrical contact cleaner, including sprayed all of the female side in the bulkhead.  Next, i sprayed both sides with some battery cable anti corrosion stuff and replugged in the connector.   Got power and watching headlights i can now jiggle the main power wire at the bulkhead and they stay on...  checked out all of the power accessories and all good. 

That seems to be a very common issue. I've read the same story ofter oven the years. Glad you found it so quick!

YellowThumper

Welding overhead laying on back. Ugg
Definitely as bad as I imagined.
Years ago I inherited a heavy leather welding jacket. Putting it to good use now.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Dakota

This was actually yesterday, but who's counting? 

My Challenger has been sitting quietly in a garage since November.   Lots of house projects, some crappy weather, a long run with Covid, and the usual assortments of other excuses kept it quiet.  Yesterday, I needed to get to a ladder hanging next to it, so the car had to be moved.  Road trip!   All I can say is....   Ahhhhhhhhh. 

YellowThumper

Exhaust symmetry
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

chargerdon

Holy smokes batman !!   Drove my 408LA challenger to a car cruise in Sanford, a round trip of 78 miles.  Filled it up before leaving...damn..paid $4.08 for premium cost me $48 for 12 gallons.  Drove the trip with half on 45-55 MPH back rounds then about half on a major highway with 70 MPH speedlimit and drove mostly at 75 MPH with the overdrive and lockup torque converter on, showing 2200 RPM. 

When i got back home filled up at the same stati on same pump and she took 4.5 gallons for $20 and holy smokes i got 17.3 MPG.   This opposed to local start stop driving with several hard accelerations for fun and getting 9-10 mpg. I was flabbergasted and doing the Happy dance !! :banana:  :takemymoney:  :looney: