Main Menu

Wife's 1971 R/T Challenger 340, what option would get the 26" radiator?

Started by GrandpaKevin, February 10, 2020, 10:40:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

Curious as to what would get the 26" radiator option on a 1971 R/T Challenger optioned with a 340 engine?
Non A/C car.
Auto transmission.

Would it be an axle package? what gear ratio would it have to be?
Would the axle package be on the fender tag?
No build sheet for the car.

Thanks.

6bblgt

since there are NO low performance 340s Chrysler deemed it necessary to put a 26" radiator in front of all of them in 1970-'71 E-bodies

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GrandpaKevin

That's interesting as our other 1971 R/T Challenger came from the factory with a 383 HP  big block with 4 speed and had a factory 22" radiator.
I believe it came with 3.23 axle per the build sheet.

JS29

My first challenger, 383 4-speed, and my gran coupe 383 4-speed both came with 22" radiator   :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

GrandpaKevin

Was the 340 a hotter (temperature) running engine than a big block or did the 340 struggle to move a chubby Challenger?

RUNCHARGER

Maybe a water jacket capacity issue. A 440 with 3.23 gears and automatic got a 22 inch rad as well.
Sheldon

superdave

Skdmark

I' ve seen several V code cars with an automatic and no power options or axle package  with a 22inch radiator too.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

6bblgt

the "chubby" e-body entered my mind after  my above post  :rofl: but I don't think that's it

my 440+6 Sport Fury GT had a 22" radiator - actually all the 440+6 GTs have a 22" radiator, because there was no axle package available for them  :('

All HEMIs had a 26" radiator & All E-bodies w/340s had a 26" radiator, at least for '70-'71  :thinking: I think it was just an extra measure of cooling so the car could be beat on all day
All HEMIs and All 340s were performance engines at that point

js27

That is strange they did that. I can see if it was a 340 Air car. Why would they put a 26 " in a 340 car and only a 22" in a 383 R/T. My 70 R/T 383 Auto had a 22".
JS27

GrandpaKevin

There might be some truth to the comment that a big block holds more coolant than a small block thus not needing a bigger radiator and more coolant unless the big block is stressed with things like taller axle ratio or A/C :notsure: