Main Menu

Wiring Harness Straps

Started by 69BFan, April 06, 2021, 07:27:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

69BFan

Our source for the clear nylon wiring straps is no longer interested in supplying us with the 5 inch wire straps that we were placing into our 70 to 74 E and 71 to 74 B-Body wire strap kits.  These 5 inch wire straps had 9 provision holes and from what guys have told us, they should only be 7 holes.  With that said, are we correct in saying that all of the E-Body strap kits should utilize a 7 hole strap?  I know that the 70 B-Bodies used the 4 hole style wire strap.  Kinda of odd that they would use different straps for the B and E classifications. 

Hopefully, there are guys reading this who can chime in as to what they have documented with original cars.  What variations that you have seen and found would be beneficial.  We are going to do the clear nylon straps in house, and since we are going to do them, might as well do them correct.  Thanks for any input.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

Mrbill426

The original straps on our '72 Cuda have both 7 and 4 holes, and 2 opposing (front/back) pins.

Jay Bee

I'm 99.9% sure this one is an original off my '70 Barracuda. I recall trying to save as many as I could when the reproductions came available. As seen it has 7 holes, one pin broken off.

JunkYardFind

I would like to suggest that you make them in Black also. I would be interested in a couple now. How much are you selling them for? 7 or 9 hole makes no matter to me. Thanks

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

headejm

1970 original (99.9% sure) straps. Seven holes.

I needed a couple and bought "weathered" ones. I don't care for them because they look yellow and have nine holes. Maybe in 50 years they will look weathered?

Floyd

If you're careful, you can lop off holes 8 and 9 and have enough room to make a rounded end. 

anlauto

Quote from: Floyd on April 06, 2021, 04:22:39 PM
If you're careful, you can lop off holes 8 and 9 and have enough room to make a rounded end.

That's all I've ever done, never gave it much thought :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

Quote from: Floyd on April 06, 2021, 04:22:39 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth! Buy a pair of scissors and take your time and you can make them 2,3,4,5,6,7 hole straps as you please.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

69BFan

Bruce and Alan, I have done the same for customers who were looking for the more detailed aspects of the restoration.  But now that the longer 5 inch style with 9 holes has been discontinued, we will just make them correct with the 7 holes.  We sell so many of these kits, that it only makes sense for us to do them in house .  We will do them in the aged "antique" look as well for the buyers who are trying to maintain the "survivor" or aged original appearance.  I have not thought of doing them in black as they were never offered in black to my knowledge.  Doing them in black would not not be a problem, but I doubt that the sales would justify the process of doing 50 to 100 of them.

www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.