Main Menu

Your insurance company of choice?

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, October 20, 2017, 10:46:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Quote from: Brads70 on October 20, 2017, 05:51:29 PM
Mine is through Hagerty valued at 60 k , premiums are 800 something, mine is classified as modified too..... all in Canadian funds.
Mine is through Hagerty, valued at 35K, premium is $173. Canadian funds.   @Brads70  :notsure: Same province as you! I am not supposed to drive it as a 'daily driver'.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on October 21, 2017, 04:12:25 AM
Quote from: Brads70 on October 20, 2017, 05:51:29 PM
Mine is through Hagerty valued at 60 k , premiums are 800 something, mine is classified as modified too..... all in Canadian funds.
Mine is through Hagerty, valued at 35K, premium is $173. Canadian funds.   @Brads70  :notsure: Same province as you! I am not supposed to drive it as a 'daily driver'.

Is yours listed/insured as modified? That makes a difference. It used to be insured for 30k and it was $269 before I doubled the value and went from stock to modified. I'm guessing where you live makes a difference too? I know if I lived in Toronto for example it would be more again.... Don't ya love insurance companies.... :pullinghair:

dodj

Not listed as modified. Maybe that's the big difference Goody is seeing as well?
What makes a car 'modified'? A non-stock engine or trans?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on October 21, 2017, 04:53:35 AM
Not listed as modified. Maybe that's the big difference Goody is seeing as well?
Yes I think so, they asked me if I had modified  the engine, headers? etc.... Custom rims and tires..

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: nsmall on October 20, 2017, 08:28:17 PM
@GoodysGotaCuda

I have Grundy and I've had good experience with them. My insurance is like $240 bucks a year for 43k of coverage.

I thought I remember you saying you drive your car to work every day and I don't think Grundy is going to be okay with that.

I've had multiple conversations with Grundy agents and as far as I understand their insurance assumes you don't drive your car a whole lot and if you do, you don't leave it unattended like at work or at the movie theaters or something.

Others are saying there's no restrictions but I don't think they're right but I could be wrong.

From what I could tell Haggerty is double what Grundy charges.

I recently increased my coverage with Grundy by 15 grand and just sent some pictures of my car in a million pieces and they're like okay. It only took them one hour to increase my coverage and I thought it was crazy because you should have seen the pictures I sent.

Their site says that occasional driving to work is okay, occasional is an open term and I have a 2016 Subaru WRX as my day driver. A drive to work for me is 10 easy miles, no traffic and it's parked in a lot monitored by security guards. It won't be driven on poor weather days, to WalMart, etc. like a daily driver would. I can have that discussion with them. It doesn't have a modern engine and double-overdrive trans to drive to Cars and Coffee once a month.

QuoteHow Can I Use My Car?

Grundy wants you to enjoy your car, not keep track of mileage like some programs with limitations.  Therefore, we give you unlimited miles for pleasure driving and in collector car-oriented activities.  It is even OK if occasionally you drive your collector car to work to show it off to friends.  However, your collector car must not be used as a daily driver.  We require you and all licensed drivers in your household to have a modern car for everyday use.

Quote from: dodj on October 21, 2017, 04:53:35 AM

Yes, modified. There's no chance for me to talk out of that one... Modified w/Hagerty = $1,200/yr. Modified w/Grundy = $490ish/year

Point is, Hagerty doesn't want to insure your modified car.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Brads70

I just sent Grundy an e-mail to see if they insure cars here in Canada.... never hurts to shop around!

nsmall

Thanks Goody, I'm driving my car to work one day now.  I plan to take it to the park and park (pardon the pun) it out in the middle nowhere and have fun with the kids.

Hagerty made me feel like Grundy doesn't want you to do anything but drive your car to car shows but obviously that was just a scare tactic as you found otherwise.

Thanks again.

70mopes

Wow.  That is downright lame.   That is worse than my Hagerty experience.    Man, never would have thought Am. Coll. would pull a stunt like that.   I insured back in '93 as I recall and I was driving around in my 5  year old pickup and renting a place with a buddy.   They have obviously changed their ways to their own detriment.

Solarguy

Keep in mind when comparing member quotes from all over the country that WHERE you live is probably the most important element of car insurance prices.  Loss history in your zip code  dictates most of the price.   :alan2cents:  I live in S Florida.  Any kind of insurance is very high here.  Home, Auto, Collector Car, etc.