Main Menu

71 340 Cuda convertible...ANOTHER UPDATE

Started by anlauto, April 21, 2019, 09:50:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 21, 2019, 11:23:18 AM
it's already a cut up EV2 Barracuda hardtop with the convertible parts added to it  :takealook:

Okay so now that I'm more awake then when I first spotted the eBay ad this morning.....I'm leaning towards Dan's theory here....But I think it was done a long time ago and abandoned ....and it was very cleverly done....What I can't figure out is how the numbers in the cowl and rad support would match ?

HINTS:
The door striker post are from a hardtop, they do not have the convertible door wedges...
Weld burn marks along the  wheel house/floor area and in the area where the rear window regulators go...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

worthywads

Quote from: Yellow71Cuda on April 21, 2019, 11:01:19 AM
Interesting.   :thinking:

Passenger side inner fender is a 1970 version (no indent for the vapor line bracket), which could be an early '71 build date like October '70, but the original motor is dated 1/19/71?

Add doesn't say it's original motor, just "date correct", whatever that means not knowing the build date of the car.

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: worthywads on April 21, 2019, 11:42:57 AM
Quote from: Yellow71Cuda on April 21, 2019, 11:01:19 AM
Interesting.   :thinking:

Passenger side inner fender is a 1970 version (no indent for the vapor line bracket), which could be an early '71 build date like October '70, but the original motor is dated 1/19/71?

Add doesn't say it's original motor, just "date correct", whatever that means not knowing the build date of the car.

Good point!

ledphoot

I cannot understand it's current bid.. Doesn't look worth much of anything to me.. Even if it were a true '71 Cuda 340 Convertible

anlauto

The seller is pretty quick to answer questions. I asked him about the claim of original paint and the lack of tail panel black-out, emblem holes etc...
Here's his response:
"I could be wrong about the original coat of paint however black "organisational" peels off over decades of hot sun.

Most importantly the car has CLEARLY always been Hemi orange.

There are a total of 7 holes drilled into the tail panel. Your guess is as good as mine. Dealer tag emblem or dealer emblems perhaps. These cars had a low value in the 1980s and some people did some goofy stuff.

Taylor"

I then replied with the theory of it being two cars put together. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Quote from: ledphoot on April 21, 2019, 12:06:17 PM
I cannot understand it's current bid.. Doesn't look worth much of anything to me.. Even if it were a true '71 Cuda 340 Convertible

It was $7500 when I found it this morning, now over $17K.... if they are honest bids I hope the high bidder knows what he's buying.

If you can't wrap your head around the current bid, then you, like most people, just don't grasp the appeal of a 71 Cuda, especially a 340 convertible. They are like finding a gold mine....Set the price and the buyers will come. :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

So having done some metal works on rusted cars I can say that even the worst cars will have some good areas if the car was left together versus the open shell left out in the harsh weather. I'd bet money that the orange shell is coming apart at each and every spot welded seam. The white car might need a lot of major pieces but I'd guess total hours put into it would be far less in the end.

And you're certainly right about these cars being pinnacle cars. If I did buy that 318 convertible, seems like I could drop in a hemi, a four speed, and a few other "Cuda" changes and sell it for a huge profit. Not that I would but that's probably why they aren't a lot of the base model cars out there.

ledphoot

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 21, 2019, 12:13:58 PM
So having done some metal works on rusted cars I can say that even the worst cars will have some good areas if the car was left together versus the open shell left out in the harsh weather. I'd bet money that the orange shell is coming apart at each and every spot welded seam. The white car might need a lot of major pieces but I'd guess total hours put into it would be far less in the end.

And you're certainly right about these cars being pinnacle cars. If I did buy that 318 convertible, seems like I could drop in a hemi, a four speed, and a few other "Cuda" changes and sell it for a huge profit. Not that I would but that's probably why they aren't a lot of the base model cars out there.

I fully understand the desirability / rarity of a '71 Cuda Convertible.. Just sayin THAT car will not be a Cuda Convertible when it's put back together or most likely rebodied...  I am more pragmatic about how I spend my money.. I'd rather enter the E-Body Convertible market with something like thisL: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-Challenger-Rotisserie-Car-RT-Options/123739868243?hash=item1ccf788c53:g:I8EAAOSw~VBcWjQo

I know it's not a Cuda convertible, but it's a beautiful car and appears to need nothing... At least to my untrained eye..

anlauto

That's a great car for a great price but it's NOT a 71 Cuda and that is where the difference is. :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

anlauto

ledphoot

Like I said I know people are batshit crazy about '71 Cudas. I personally could care less, for $60k I could have a turnkey e-body convertible to enjoy. Somebody is gonna put a boatload of money and effort in to that "Cuda" aka hunk of rotted metal and more power to them if they pull it off. Not my cup of tea.

70 Challenger Lover

I am batshit crazy about 71 Cudas and I still wouldn't want that shell. And I even like doing metal work.

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: anlauto on April 21, 2019, 12:09:23 PM
The seller is pretty quick to answer questions. I asked him about the claim of original paint and the lack of tail panel black-out, emblem holes etc...
Here's his response:
"I could be wrong about the original coat of paint however black "organisational" peels off over decades of hot sun.

The problem with his theory about paint peeling off is...the blackout on a 'Cuda tail panel and rockers was painted first, before body color was applied. 

ledphoot

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 21, 2019, 01:05:00 PM
I am batshit crazy about 71 Cudas and I still wouldn't want that shell. And I even like doing metal work.

Right?

If the wife didn't want me to have a swimming pool installed that Challenger Convertible would already be mine.

I'd never consider that "Cuda" at any price. The "restoration" is an easy six figure task.