Main Menu

71 340 Cuda convertible...ANOTHER UPDATE

Started by anlauto, April 21, 2019, 09:50:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on April 21, 2019, 12:37:41 PM
Buy them both and swap the VINs  :alan2cents:

in the US that's a felony - promoting it (or insisting it's OK because it's done all the time) doesn't do your reputation any favors - walk into any US inspection, licensing or titling office & tell them that's what you did and see if it's still OK

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 21, 2019, 01:36:28 PM

in the US that's a felony - promoting it (or insisting it's OK because it's done all the time) doesn't do your reputation any favors - walk into any US inspection, licensing or titling office & tell them that's what you did and see if it's still OK

I think Alan was just kidding.  I took it as sarcasm anyway.   

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 21, 2019, 01:36:28 PM

It was a joke Barry....Oops I mean Dan.... :haha: :haha:  and besides it's only a felony if you get caught  :vipermanhiding: (also a joke)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on April 21, 2019, 09:50:27 AM
Would love to restore it for anybody who wants to take the plunge  :bigmoney:

were you "joking" with the original post in this thread - I don't see how you can offer to restore that, later state, swap VINs on another "project" - then claim "I'm joking"

your sarcasm is lost on all but a few   :brainiac:

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 21, 2019, 02:23:08 PM
Quote from: anlauto on April 21, 2019, 09:50:27 AM
Would love to restore it for anybody who wants to take the plunge  :bigmoney:

were you "joking" with the original post in this thread - I don't see how you can offer to restore that, later state, swap VINs on another "project" - then claim "I'm joking"

your sarcasm is lost on all but a few   :brainiac:

It's quite simple...I would still love a shot at restoring the orange car if someone wants to pay for it....I lost interest in purchasing it myself  when the current bid hit five figures and for sure after I started looking closer at the pictures. That doesn't mean I won't restore it for someone else.

Then a link  was posted to an ad for a solid Barracuda convertible (red/white one)....I made the statement "just buy both and swap the VINs" ...I was joking....You didn't get the joke... :drinkingbud: It's all good !

Sometimes sarcasm doesn't quite come through on a forum  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

I cant be live the price on this thing

70 Challenger Lover

It's now at $18k. This can't be right. The new owner will pretty much have to rebody the car and graft in the vin stampings onto the new body. That car needs way more than quarters, fenders, floors, etc.

When it's all said and done, the car still won't have its numbers matching power train nor the original fender tag or build sheet. If a numbers matching version of this car is worth $100-120k, what is the rebodied non numbers matching car worth? $80k maybe if it's done right (which will be damn costly).

scf100

Wow, just saw this.....an hour away ....holy crap that thing will require some touchup
1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 21, 2019, 04:46:30 PM
It's now at $18k. This can't be right. The new owner will pretty much have to rebody the car and graft in the vin stampings onto the new body. That car needs way more than quarters, fenders, floors, etc.

When it's all said and done, the car still won't have its numbers matching power train nor the original fender tag or build sheet. If a numbers matching version of this car is worth $100-120k, what is the rebodied non numbers matching car worth? $80k maybe if it's done right (which will be damn costly).

Of course it will.... Sure wouldn't be the first time...

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 21, 2019, 06:57:27 PM
Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 21, 2019, 04:46:30 PM

Of course it will.... Sure wouldn't be the first time...

You're probably right. I'd be afraid to buy any collectible car in the 100k plus range unless it had serious documentation and tons of photos. There's too much financial incentive for people to "create" numbers matching cars these days.

ledphoot

We are fortunate that there just aren't that many E Bodies made so they'll carry value for a long time. But you have to know they won't always be this valuable. The people who love these cars are getting old and as we age out the value of these cars will decline.

Cuda70-74

Quote from: ledphoot on April 21, 2019, 07:51:25 PM
We are fortunate that there just aren't that many E Bodies made so they'll carry value for a long time. But you have to know they won't always be this valuable. The people who love these cars are getting old and as we age out the value of these cars will decline.
Hopefully my generation will continue to like these cars and get into the hobby
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

RUNCHARGER

I don't see it in the future. There will always be a few serious collectors that like these old cars but the number of them is limited and they will collect the best only. Sure some of the younger generation will like these Cudas and Chargers but when the price gets too high they will be more open to weird Japanese and European cars for less money and better performance.
Sheldon

Ns1aar

The last set of pics shows the rear rocker area I don't see a Torque Box

6bblgt

front inner fenders and frame rails look like they are from 2 different cars
rusty top of windshield frame is from a convertible - look where the "ruddy brown" primer is
rear wheel tubs from convertible, frame rails, floor & rear clip are NOT
:deadhorse: