Main Menu

Over Charging Issues - Battery Issue? Update

Started by Cudajason, September 18, 2021, 02:16:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Out for a good long rip today to meet up with a few board members.

Came home to what appears to be battery juice sprayed all over my inner fender, hood and plug wires.

There are ports on each side of the battery that are wet.

Is this as bad as it appears to be, is the battery screwed?

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Brads70

Yuck, did it damage the paint? I wonder if you have an over charging issue?  :notsure:

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on September 18, 2021, 02:22:45 PM
Yuck, did it damage the paint? I wonder if you have an over charging issue?  :notsure:

I have not checked the paint yet. Its dried so what ever damage is done.

I did not notice the volt gauge reading high. Ill fire it up and check.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

@Brads70. I think you win the prize today!!!

The volt meter slowly creeps up as it idles. Is 16 volts bad????

So i am guessing a new voltage regulator is next on my list. At least its an easy fix, with the external regulator.

70vert

Hope no major damage!! But that is another huge plus of an AGM battery, though I know that won't pass muster for an OE Numbers Matching show car.

FYI - AGM does not have liquid acid to explode or leak. And they last for years, my Optima Red Top is going on 10 (in Houston heat).

Mrbill426

Dirty, corroded, or loose connections can cause charging voltage to rise too.

Quote from: Cudajason on September 18, 2021, 02:51:30 PM
@Brads70. I think you win the prize today!!!

The volt meter slowly creeps up as it idles. Is 16 volts bad????

So i am guessing a new voltage regulator is next on my list. At least its an easy fix, with the external regulator.

blown motor

I heard someone today say that he doesn't mind having minor issues with his car because it lets him tinker on it.  :pokeeye:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cudajason

Quote from: blown motor on September 18, 2021, 05:30:47 PM
I heard someone today say that he doesn't mind having minor issues with his car because it lets him tinker on it.  :pokeeye:

Yep...should have kept my mouth shut!!!

jimynick

Jason, mix up some baking soda and water and wash EVERYTHING that got some of that "juice", AKA Sulfuric acid, on it. It may look dry, but it'll continue to eat into everything it touched. 16v is way too much charging and the battery was trying to take it, but couldn't. The possibility is that it may have warped the inner plates and that'd be a kiss of death if it did, because it could cause an internal short. It'll eat into your valve covers, too, so get it off ASAP. It never fails, eh?  :rolleyes:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

dodj

It won't be the vr. It will be dirty,  loose,  poor connections.
Bulkhead,  column, passenger valve cover connector.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

Quote from: jimynick on September 18, 2021, 07:19:55 PM
Jason, mix up some baking soda and water and wash EVERYTHING that got some of that "juice", AKA Sulfuric acid, on it. It may look dry, but it'll continue to eat into everything it touched. 16v is way too much charging and the battery was trying to take it, but couldn't. The possibility is that it may have warped the inner plates and that'd be a kiss of death if it did, because it could cause an internal short. It'll eat into your valve covers, too, so get it off ASAP. It never fails, eh?  :rolleyes:

Thanks Ian. Done.

MoparLeo

You need to install vent tube on the battery vents. Just think of it like the overflow tube on your radiator.
Instead of the coolant going all over the top of the radiator and engine it is routed to a can, overflow or just under the radiator to the ground.
When these types of batteries are installed in a confined area's like in the trunk, under back seat etc... the gasses generated bay recharging need to go somewhere and are highly corrosive. The problem is worse on a charging system that is not working properly eg. overcharging.

" all batteries have a vent because they produce hydrogen gas as they are being charged. That gas must vent from the battery or the case would split open. Cars with batteries inside the passenger compartment (under back seat, inside the trunk) should have a hose going from the battery to vent the gas outside the vehicle. "
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-924-254-Battery-Vent-Tube/dp/B004AIJ34M/ref=asc_df_B004AIJ34M?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79920806158788&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520395258993&psc=1
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Cudajason

Quote from: dodj on September 18, 2021, 08:01:57 PM

Thanks @dodj I will clean all the connection up and see if that make a difference.  I already stared with the battery terminals and they were a little corroded and the negative terminal was a little loose.

One question though, what is the "passenger valve cover connector"?

Bullitt-

Quote from: Cudajason on September 20, 2021, 05:20:42 AM

Thanks @dodj I will clean all the connection up and see if that make a difference.  I already stared with the battery terminals and they were a little corroded and the negative terminal was a little loose.

I think he's referring to the ground wire that goes from the valve cover to the firewall.
Use a meter to see if you get close to the same voltage on the blue wire at the voltage regulator as across the battery. If not a wiring/connection issue could be the culprit. The regulator needs to get accurate reading to operate properly.
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Mrbill426

Ground cable on passenger side; is there one from the factory??   Makes sense but mine did not have one and I have seen that question come up and folks said "no",  that the only engine ground is the negative battery cable to the left cylinder head.  :huh:  There is a body ground lead in the harness going to the radiator support on the left side.  Am I missing one?

Quote from: Bullitt- on September 20, 2021, 05:59:36 AM

I think he's referring to the ground wire that goes from the valve cover to the firewall.
Use a meter to see if you get close to the same voltage on the blue wire at the voltage regulator as across the battery. If not a wiring/connection issue could be the culprit. The regulator needs to get accurate reading to operate properly.
[/quote]